Rhythm Guitar Grooves

noogies

My Favorite Woofers.
Subscriber
Some of my favorites in no particular order:

1) Joni Mitchell -- Coyote (Joni Mitchell) The girl's got rhythm!

2) Jean-Luc Ponty -- Mirage (Daryl Stuermer) Languid riff propels the tune hypnotically forward.

3) Steppenwolf -- Magic Carpet Ride (John Kay) Seminal muted Teutonic funk.

4) Outlaws -- Green Grass and High Tide (Henry Paul) Despite the lead guitar interplay this song's famous for, my feeling is the double-time rhythm guitar delineates the whole thing.

5) Tower of Power -- Knock Yourself Out (Bruce Conte) Real funk. Later live versions are preferred -- Conte's attack had better definition than the original by Willie Fulton.

6) Keep On Chooglin' -- CCR (Tom Fogerty) This one amazes me -- one chord, all the way through, and it never even begins to get boring over nearly eight minutes. I don't know whose genius that says more about -- John's or Tom's.

7) Another Park Another Sunday-- The Doobie Brothers (Tom Johnston) "Listen to the Music" is Johnston's signature, but for my money this one's prettier.

Feel free to add yours. I'll probably post more as they pop into my head, as this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Average White Band - Pick Up The Pieces. You'll hear Onnie McIntyre in the left speaker and Hamish Stuart in the right.

Lee.

Jeez, I nearly forgot -- Nancy Wilson, "Crazy on You". That lady had wrists!

Thought I'd drop back in seeing as the horse isn't quite dead yet ...

The Sun Goddess -- Ramsey Lewis: I don't actually know who played the groove on this one because the album has five guitar credits, but it's exquisite -- languid and dreamy and at the same time urgent, and it's just a two chord vamp.

Time to stir the pot again ...

It was always a distinct pleasure to hear Hendrix play rhythm and lead simultaneously. My favorite example of this is the live version of "Little Wing" from In the West.

Time to stir the pot again ...

It was always a distinct pleasure to hear Hendrix play rhythm and lead simultaneously. My favorite example of this is the live version of "Little Wing" from In the West.
I love the way he went back and forth that way. And always seemed to keep the groove.
SRV was similar, IMO.

I love the way he went back and forth that way. And always seemed to keep the groove.
SRV was similar, IMO.
Yes, I think Stevie was deeply influenced by Hendrix. I remember when he first came on the scene, the word "reincarnation" was thrown around a lot.

Back
Top Bottom