RIP Fats Domino

Surprised this thread is not a lot longer. He was a legend. Thanks for the music Fats. Hope you have the best piano in the universe now, and all your flooded gold records back. :bigok:

Surprised this thread is not a lot longer. He was a legend. Thanks for the music Fats. Hope you have the best piano in the universe now, and all your flooded gold records back. :bigok:
He's on the piano with Hank Williams on guitar doing a duet for Heaven on a Hank classic:

"Walking to New Orleans" was on a mix tape of unknown origin that showed up at my house when I was a kid. It probably came from my uncle; the same one whose pristine 2285B I have today. While there were a few uncharacteristically cheesy tunes on there, "Afternoon Delight" for example, there was some cool stuff too, of which "Walking..." may have been the best to my ear. Makes me wonder if it was some kind of experiment, or a teaching tool to see if I as a little kid, could instinctively differentiate between crap and good stuff or to help me figure it out. Almost certainly not true, but...

These days, my view of the music hasn't changed- I just have a better vocabulary to describe things. "...Delight" is odious pop dreck, while "Walking..." with its melancholy delivery and simple (but probably precision crafted) lyrics, communicated feeling.

Thanks for the music, Antoine. R.I.P.

My first exposure was an old Harmony LP, When I'm Walkin'. My Aunt Jackie gave it to my mother many years ago, probably before I was born. I still have the LP. Then I bought a reissue 45 of Blueberry Hill in the 80's and decided Fats was my kind of guy. He could do rock and roll, gospel, blues, country-you name it, he could do it. He didn't need gimmicks like so many do today; just him and his music were enough to seal the deal!

I was surprised to hear he passed, as I thought he passed a number of years back.
Another Legend gone.
R.I.P.

Back
Top Bottom