RIP Siegfried Linkwitz

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by JP, Sep 11, 2018.

1. JP

JP 7480 74111110101115

Siegfried passed away peacefully this morning. From Jan Didden:

“A gifted speaker designer who generously gave from his time and knowledge to many of us. His presentations and demos at the many Burning Amp festivals he attended were always packed. He will be sadly missed.

Thoughts go out to his wife Eike and his children.”

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Rinascita

Rinascita Active Member

Very sad loss. He will be missed. RIP

3. merdy

merdy AK Subscriber Subscriber

Sad what an amazing talented and kind man.
    Rip,

4. theophile

theophile Pheasant Plucker. Subscriber

I recently watched the interview that Mike Fremer did with Mr Linkwitz. The interview was good but I could see that his physical condition was precarious. RIP Sigfried.

5. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Goggle1824 and EarlK like this.
  6. mkane

mkane AK Subscriber Subscriber

RIP sir.

7. Fitero

Fitero Active Member

Sad day indeed. I built his Pluto and LXMini systems and have have enjoyed them enormously.

Here is the link to the interview mentioned;

Audiofreak71 likes this.
  8. bhunter

bhunter The Spherical Cow

9. reggaenaut

reggaenaut Addicted Member

10. stoutblock

stoutblock If it sounds good, it is good... Subscriber

I came home late from visiting a friend last night and heard this sad news. Ironically the friend and I had several audio conversations that included Linkwitz. I have been an admirer of his for many years and his audio conclusions have always proven true to me (even though I mostly don’t understand them). I admired him so much that I searched for many years to find a pair of speakers he engineered from back in the 90s. The Audio Artistry Beethoven Elite speakers which currently reside in my main sytem. He was clearly one of us and weather you know it or not he had much to do with what we are all hearing from most all of our systems. He will be missed.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018 at 12:00 AM
  11. dshoaf

dshoaf That high voltage buzz

This is, indeed, very sad news. I had the unique pleasure to sit with him, one-on-one, last year at the Burning Amp festival in San Francisco. We share a commonality of being both retired from HP so we spent most of the time finding commonalities along those lines.

He shall be missed in the small audio community of engineer's engineers.

Cheers,

David

12. CT_Ohio

CT_Ohio Active Member

Wondered when this would happen... on a small, almost hidden, section of one of his webpages, they mentioned that he was in hospice. Men want to be remembered for achievements and he had plenty.

13. stoutblock

stoutblock If it sounds good, it is good... Subscriber

he engineered some great speakers and I am very proud to own a set of these Beethovens. He will be missed...

AA1996-p7.jpg

1cb2a2a740e4a78bf216e50c19e3.jpg

14. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

He was a character and it seems many of the amazing designers in audio are just that.

RIP.

15. JP

JP 7480 74111110101115

I missed my opportunity to meet him, because I was a jackass. The first year of my second stint in Colorado I went to RMAF, which was the first year Siegfried took the LX-521. That year, and I think the second year he hadn't even painted them yet.

dsc_4459.jpg

My friend and I took a few steps in to the room (no music playing), took one look at those things, and walked right back out. Dumb. A year later:

IMG_0476.jpg

A good friend told me about these speakers he swore I'd love. As I had a few QSC CX-404 amps laying around I took the chance on them. Another year passed before I recalled that I'd seen these speakers before. Regret.

Today the LX-521.4 are in the museum-of-things-collecting-dust until I get my listening room built out. They are in the proper company though.

IMG_2552.jpg

I think I leave them raw as a reminder. I do enjoy the LX-Mini + Sub I have in my office at work in the meantime.

IMG_0363.jpg

tyella, toxcrusadr and stoutblock like this.