Rip trade thread?

Discussion in 'The Music Barter' started by N8Nagel, Dec 11, 2018.

1. N8Nagel

N8Nagel AK Subscriber Subscriber

So this may or may not stick around - I totally understand if the mods decide in their wisdom to kill this thread, but let me say up front that my intent is totally honorable and legal at least in my opinion.

I have a fairly large collection of CDs, and 99.44% of them are ripped with EAC to FLAC and archived on my NAS with backups and a portable so I can take them to work. HOWEVER - a few of the more rare discs in my collection I just cannot get a clean rip off of... e.g.

KMFDM - Naive (the original Wax Trax! release with the Orff samples that caused it to be pulled) Wax Trax! WAXCD 7148
    New Model Army - The Independent Story Abstract ABT 008 CD

those are two that I just happen to be looking at right now.

Additional discs that I have that won't rip:

Dead Kennedys Bedtime for Democracy Alternativve Tentacles VIRUS 50CD
    Die Krupps A Tribute To Metallica Hollywood Records HR-61515-2 (I don't actually care about this one, it's not that good, but I paid for it once upon a time...)
    The Jesus Lizard Blue Capitol CDP 7243 8 59266 2 4
    Kronos Quartet Winter Was Hard Elektra/Nonesuch 9 79181-2
    Led Zeppelin Led Zeppelin Atlantic SD 19126-2
    Led Zeppelin Presence Swan Song SS 8416-2
    Rush Moving Pictures Mercury P2-00048

What I am proposing is this - people who find themselves in my position should post up what discs they have that they can't get a clean rip off of despite their and Novus' best efforts, so let's say someone posts up something that he has and can't rip, but I have a clean rip on my NAS, I'll put it on my dropbox for him and vice versa. It's not that I'm cheap, I just don't know where I'm going to find better copies of those two CDs for example, but through the power of the interwebs, we can fix this issue.

Anyone down for this idea? I'd say maybe require that members post a photo of their discs to verify that they actually own the physical media so this doesn't turn into another Napster or something like that? Or is this just an idea that's doomed to fail and is going to get shut down within days?

Oh yeah, I really do want rips of the two discs I mentioned above... I don't know why Naive won't rip as it appears to be polished to perfection; the NMA CD is never gonna rip clean as I can see straight through it in spots.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018

Please register to disable this ad.

2. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8642 Subscriber

While you're waiting for a response, what are you using to do the rips? EAC will retry forever if you let it, and can usually pull some surprising results from "lost cause" disks. A drive cleaner disk can also work wonders.

markshan and Bill Ferris like this.
  3. N8Nagel

I am using EAC in secure mode. I've also got several laptops at my disposal and generally try a problem disc in all of them before giving up. You are correct that it will sometimes produce surprising results - and in fact I just ripped one today that was on my "unrippable" pile by trying it on a laptop that I didn't have a couple years ago - but I still have a couple lost causes.

They still play OK, but it bothers me that I can't get a FLAC rip with a clean logfile. If I were using a "lesser" program I probably wouldn't even know, but you know, OCD and assburgers are a hell of a combination when engaging in exercises like this.

4. olson_jr

olson_jr Beware of cake hoarders & soft shoe shufflers Subscriber

I could not get a pristine looking disc to rip properly the other day. Tried cleaning it with my standard CD cleaners and tried several computers to no avail.

Then I dug out an old bottle of something called Final enhancer and applied it to the disc. Not only did it work, but it also ripped in record time.

I have an extra bottle if you would like to give it a try.

@N8Nagel

5. savatage1973

savatage1973 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I am no copyright attorney, but what you propose would appear to be legal, since you do own the actual media, and therefore the rights to use it (for non-commercial purposes). You are permitted to make back-ups of anything you purchase for personal use, so I would not see an issue, since you do own the original disc.

6. sKiZo

Often wonder if there's any issues with replacing your original media with one of the ever popular "remasters" that continually crop up. :idea:

7. N8Nagel

In the case of the LZ, that's probably a good plan!

They all sounded great on my parents' MCS system (I don't remember what the CDP was now... info lost in the mists of time) while cranked up so I could hear it in the garage while working on some project car or other, but "critical listening" worthy the early CD releases are NOT...

this stuff? or something else?

https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-4582-kleen-shine-final-mist-final-detail-enhancer-1-gallon.aspx

In the past I have tried nose grease (seriously) and a light coating of veg oil both of which were supposed to help the readability of marginal discs without success. Someone also suggested Future (floor polish) which I didn't have much luck with either. But I'm willing to try anything at this point... although as I said some of these discs have bit rot to the point that there are visible pinholes in the metal layer, so I don't know what can be done about those - I'm guessing any treatment or coating is only effective at masking the appearance of scratches. I guess the scientific method of finding the right treatment would be finding one with the closest possible index of refraction to polycarbonate, if you could find the data.

8. olson_jr

Looks like this.

I have not seen this around for a while.

IMG_3537.jpg

9. sKiZo

Kind of reminds me of this stuff ...

[​IMG]

I did a lot of my vinyls with it - can't say whether it helped or not, but both treated and otherwise seem to have survived nicely. Probably a placebo effect - pay out the bux for the stuff, put the effort into applying it, and maybe have a tendency to treat the records better?

PS - pinholes on CDs are pretty much the kiss of death. Something like EAC might help with retries on dirty areas or scratches, but a pinhole completely obliterates the original data, and I'm not aware of any real redundancy built into the average disc.

10. grey

grey AK Subscriber Subscriber

Unfortunately some of ones and zeros flaked off of the print side on a few of mine and nothing can save them. A friend used a professional automotive buffer and was able to revive several with unplayable scratches.

11. olson_jr

@N8Nagel

Shoot me a PM with your address if you would like to try some, gratis.

Mystic likes this.

12. N8Nagel

Original post edited with results of cataloguing my collection, which I just finished today...

Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on that, but right now, I need to get all these boxes closed up and shoved under the bed before people show up. This'll be a project for another time...

olson_jr likes this.
  13. markshan

markshan Sir Thrift a Lot Subscriber

That depends on if the remaster sounds better or worse then the original.

The single biggest reason I got back into vinyl is because so many CDs are so poorly mastered.

14. sKiZo

Yup ... there was such a rush to copy a label's entire catalog to the new format that not a lot of attention was paid to quality control during the transcriptions. That's where us Rock 'n rollers get lucky - our favorites are now being either remastered or completely re-engineered for "anniversary releases" and such. Most (not all - a lot of the original masters didn't age well) are a BIG improvement. If you get a chance, take a listen to either Brothers in Arms, Court of the Crimson King, or Tea for the Tillerman for good examples of what's possible.

15. JP

JP 7480 74111110101115

IANAL, but last I checked it's not; this isn't a backup of your media, it's a copy of someone else's.

16. olson_jr

Along with the Steve Wilson Remixes of Tull & Yes, and the 50 Anniversary of The White Album.