Ripping into the Fountain Mazurka

Markoneswift

Quartz locked n ready to rock
I finally got round to looking at this thing tonight. I managed to lift up the Garrard SP25 mk4 turntable and it looks very sanitary inside.

The built in console amp is pretty basic but does have a phono pre so magnetic or ceramic carts can be used.

My thinking at the moment is maybe to keep the console and TT but gut the amp out of it. I'm thinking along the lines of grafting in a class D or class T chip amp, maybe shove a PC power supply in there if space allows.

For the TT, I may deactivate the auto mechanism and basically turn it into a kind of Disco Driver 80. I've got my eye on some MM carts to replace the ceramic Sonotone it came with.

I'm not expecting wonders with this, but its my first modding project so we will see where it goes....

IMG_20170907_184251.jpg

I wonder whether I would be better to look into gutting something like an old boombox and then put the guts into this condole. Most of the old boomboxes have phono inputs so maybe that would be an option.

Keen to hear any other ideas for this little project :)

Bring It back to Factory specs! That's a cool piece of history! A great night stand Turntable to listen too with Headphones.................

Bring It back to Factory specs! That's a cool piece of history! A great night stand Turntable to listen too with Headphones.................

Yeah, that would be an option I guess. I could rebuild the amp if it needs it. What I might do is see how it sounds with an AUX input through a DIN to RCA adapter. If the amp sounds ok, I can focus on cleaning the controls and fixing up the TT.

There is some low level hum so I need to investigate that. Might need filter caps replacing or it could be coming from the tonearm I suppose ....

I resolved the motor rattle yesterday, seems like its a common problem with the Garrard Lab motors. The balance plate on top of the armature had come unglued, so I glued it back in place. I also gave the motor a good greasing along with the idler wheel bearing.

My next task is making a better platter bearing setup. Originally there was an O ring under the thrust bearing which has deteriorated over the years. I might try a fibre washer in there, or another O ring, with more white lithium grease.

Back
Top Bottom