RMAF 2018 Seminar Streaming Experiences

Here is a video explaining how to clean up your digital streaming service for under $50. I’m looking forward to implementing this Ethernet to Fiber Optic bridge for streaming 24bit Hi-Res audio from TIDAL. The difference is supposedly much more than subtle.

834603EB-04D1-438B-A34E-E3B354E8A6D8.jpeg D4CF3ED8-D9EF-401E-AD41-FB0961E6687E.jpeg

I’d be interested in what streamers people are using. I’ve been a CCA user since it’s release but this forum suggests I can do better.
My next music streamer will hopefully be the Bluesound Node 2i. The reviews I have read have had nothing but good to say about the Node 2i sound quality and ease of integration. All the functions can be controlled via smartphone app. This seems to be very popular in the Hi-Res streaming community.
FE42B2BA-81BA-4AD7-9AD7-D0F8CFF3066A.jpeg
I currently use a Meridian Explorer2 with a dedicated Acer HTPC.

Last edited:
I have been kicking around the node 2i for a month or so. For the simple reason seems to be a reasonable price for a beginners all in one setup. Looking to step up in sound quality. Also considering a switch to Tidal as well.

Currently wifi via iphone and spotify>airport express A1592>optical 3.5/optical>topping d30>rca/rca cable>Onkyo A-10

After watching the RMAF video wonder if I add another router as he suggested and connect it to the linked Optical Media converter and leave the rest of the chain as is. Think I may need a newer airport express as I can not find how to disable wifi on my current airport express (a1592). Newer models do not have the 3.5mm headpone out plug from what I can tell.

Any thoughts or guidance?

I have been kicking around the node 2i for a month or so. For the simple reason seems to be a reasonable price for a beginners all in one setup. Looking to step up in sound quality. Also considering a switch to Tidal as well.

Currently wifi via iphone and spotify>airport express A1592>optical 3.5/optical>topping d30>rca/rca cable>Onkyo A-10

After watching the RMAF video wonder if I add another router as he suggested and connect it to the linked Optical Media converter and leave the rest of the chain as is. Think I may need a newer airport express as I can not find how to disable wifi on my current airport express (a1592). Newer models do not have the 3.5mm headpone out plug from what I can tell.

Any thoughts or guidance?
The Node 2i is an excellent streaming DAC. Burr Brown Chipset, Tidal Hi-Fi ready. With that said; the fiber optic network thing that was posted above really improved my streaming audio. At least it seemed to. AK member @Lossless posted a video of the differences some time ago, but I think Lossless moved on and is now actually working for TIdal and now is no longer posting on here.

Here is his thread.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/best-streaming-audio-tweak-under-50.879299/

Last edited:
Notime thank you for the reply. Notice the units he shared are sold in pairs. How did you hook yours up. Use both or just one? Appreciate the input.

Thanks.

Notime thank you for the reply. Notice the units he shared are sold in pairs. How did you hook yours up. Use both or just one? Appreciate the input.

Thanks.
They work in pairs and so I did the exact same setup, except with 100/1000 models. The ones @Lossless used were only good up to 100Mbps. Comcast Internet speeds are 1Gigabit or 1000Mbps. The boxes were hooked up between the ISP router and laptop I used for streaming Qobuz and Tidal. The noise floor and clarity was markedly improved in my opinion.

Perfect, going to give this a try. We have comcast as well..... not sure speeds? Any issue with running the 100/1000 models in the event our speeds/service are similar? Any chance you would share the model you purchased.

Have all the cables already..... just need the pair of boxes and I should be all set.

Thanks again for your help.

Perfect, going to give this a try. We have comcast as well..... not sure speeds? Any issue with running the 100/1000 models in the event our speeds/service are similar? Any chance you would share the model you purchased.

Have all the cables already..... just need the pair of boxes and I should be all set.

Thanks again for your help.

Welcome, just be sure you get the 1000Mbps to prevent a bottleneck.
There is a pair on Amazon for $31. Almencla US is the seller.

TP-Link is the other brand.@ $32 each.

Search “Ethernet to fiber optic media converter “

The secret must be out the bag because the prices are steadily increasing.

Last edited:
Snagged a pair off they bay. Same shipping time and a bit cheaper. Will be a few weeks before they land. Will report back once they land and are up and running.

Back
Top Bottom