Roadtrip Sprkman57

zincman

Just returned from a roadtrip to visit Ron and do some trading. Came back with a Bottlehead Foreplay to go with my Paramours. Listened to some tunes on his new setup, really a class act, tons of knowledge. Great to share some audio only talk time. Thanks again Ron for a great trip.

zincman said:
Just returned from a roadtrip to visit Ron and do some trading. Came back with a Bottlehead Foreplay to go with my Paramours. Listened to some tunes on his new setup, really a class act, tons of knowledge. Great to share some audio only talk time. Thanks again Ron for a great trip.

How about Ron's maze of gear.??? :yikes:

Sorry I missed you

Zincman, I'm heading to Ron's tomorrow. Maybe next time we can hook up and go together (I live just south of Middletown.) Better yet, when things settle down on the home front I can have you guys over......Colin

Hey Colin; I have been meaning to contact you but time for some reason always gets the better of me. Yeah I think we Buckeyes should have a mini AK get together. The only problem I have is Ron usally twist my arm and then fills them with more stuff. Gyusher, you are right a maze is an understatement. As for the hamvention I want to go it looks like the weather will be good for the flea market. But that place is a nuthouse during this weekend. Great to here from some of the Ohio AK family. Tubino Ron gives you the big thumbs up on tube guidance, hope we can get hooked up sometime.
Tim

Hi everyone, been busy putting together a system for a local friend of mine. My JBL 2-way as in the avatar is gone(again for the 3rd time). I still have a pair of 3677 cabinets and a few 2226's left yet to make another pair in the future.

Bill is here now and listening to some classical on the audio system. I have the pair of 2242 JBL 18" drivers in the 9 cu ft EBS enclosures and a 1 kw sub amp for both of them and my Yamamoto 45 SET amp running again, they are powering my JBL D123/075 2-ways until I get the coax's in cabs.

Tim, you and Colin need to double up on the next trip here. Bill will try and come again. Maybe if we are lucky, we can get MikE and Layne to visit also since they are both local to Columbus. (Maybe even Pete can show up from the north coast of Ohio.

Got to go, sub needs tweaking and might have to repair the house framing. A pair of of these 18" drivers "KICK-ASS"! I would even go so far to say for home audio use "DANGEROUS". LOL !!!

Ron

spkrman57 said:
Got to go, sub needs tweaking and might have to repair the house framing. A pair of of these 18" drivers "KICK-ASS"! I would even go so far to say for home audio use "DANGEROUS". LOL !!!
Ron

Ron,
Is that JBL 18 the same driver used in the B460?? (460cm=18in) Just curious. . . I owned a B460 and a beast it was. . . Talk about flapping your britches legs it would do that as well as crack the foundation. . . I used JBL's crossover and a bridged 555 for power untill I bought my first 565. Amazing the 565 would out do the bridged 555. . .

Had to leave all my heavy JBLs in Georgia with my daughter almost 15 years ago. She still has the L-250s tucked away in the back bedroom. If I can find a house to buy I will bring those boys (men) home again. . . My 150s and both subs (380/460) are long gone. I think my friend kept the drivers for future "WMD" work. . .

I lost most of my good gear when the company I work for started moving me all over the country. . . Soon retirement. . . yaaaaahooooooo!. . . I think. . .

Guy,

The B-460 uses the 2245 18" driver w/foam surround. Mine use a pleated cloth surround and needs bandwidth limiting to perform sub duty. SO closer to 93db than the specs for the 2242 say of 99db/watt.

Still great drivers and I like what they do.

Thanks for the power cord. my friend now has tubes and horns in his house

Ron

A quick note about my friends system I helped put together the other day.

Cayin TA-30 EL34 push-pull amp(30wpc rated) and JBL 3677 cabinets/2418 driver on 2373 horn/2226H and "Pi" crossover design, overall 98db efficient.

First off this setup sounds good even though the Cayin only had 20 hrs on it prior to my getting my hands on it. The speaker system is similiar to my avatar except the original horn/driver is used as opposed to my using every combination known to mankind to experiment with. Crossover is 3rd order hi pass w/HF att/compensation.

The sound is very nice, almost polite(amp still new) and plenty of power for the JBL's. I plan to take some Mullards over to see how big a difference from the stock tubes.

The speakers are basically 45hz to 16khz which is matched well to the tube amp which is similiar.

I converted my friend from SS and Vanderstines to tubes and horns!!!!!

Another graduate student of "Dr Evil's" school strikes again!!!!

Ron

spkrman57 said:
I converted my friend from SS and Vanderstines to tubes and horns!!!!!Ron
Nice job Ron. I'm sometimes amazed at how easy this can happen when someone hears what tubes/horns can do in the right system.

It was much easier than I thought. He would dim the lights trying to get dynamics from the Vandersteens. They are approx 84db/watt and he thought they sounded somewhat compressed. He likes his music louder than most, so high-efficiency and a push-pull amp of 30 watts/chnl seems to fit the bill nicely.

He says the music does not sound so heavy anymore!!!!

Ron

Back
Top Bottom