Rob won't be around for a bit.....

Kamakiri

The New Dynamic
Unfortunately a recent power surge during a thunderstorm took out his hard drive on his computer, so he'll be offline for a while, but he says to say that he's here in spirit :)

Does anyone happen to have an extra hard drive or computer laying around to donate to get Rob back and going per chance?

I kinda miss his technical mumbo jumbo :D

Rob's offline? Cool, we can talk about him now :D

I was going to offer a pukey little 1.5 gb drive but I see Dave has offered a much better one :thmbsp:

Eric

I had a last little note from him about the lightning setting his pump house on fire. I hope there is still an outhouse on the homestead as without working plumbing I would think his puter is not first on his list.

I've been to Rob's house - the idea of lightning getting together with the stuff in Rob's workshop/backyard/basement makes me shudder. So Kam, are you sure you talked to the real Rob and not just a vapor presence communicating from a large smoking hole in the ground in central Ontario? I'm surprised I didn't see the flash 60 miles away.

Billfort (close to ground zero).

If I start to see apparitions of a dude with a mustache wearing a black shirt and jean jacket I'll get really worried :D

Are we sure it was a "natural" phenomenon? Keep a watch out for unmarked cars in the area or blackhawk helicopters in the air. Guys in black suits or night ops attire. I hear they can shut you down and make it look like lightening struck your place. :para:

YIKES! This kind of talk always freaks me out. We are in our storm season this time of year and the lighting is crackin all over the damn place. Almost every evening one can be sure that the storms will roll through. I run around the house like a mad man unplugging anything that I really care about. I really have to make some quick disconnects for my roof mounted FM antenna leads that feed gear in two different rooms. I also have to UP my home owners insurance as I just found out that it ain't nearly enough if we did get a strike and I lost things. :cry:

I feel for Rob as I recently smoked my puter. Sigh...

You guys!

What a bunch of clowns. ;) I just got back on today and just saw this thread as I go through all the AK stuff I've been missing. Actually it wasn't lightning. A tornado yanked on the hydro wires in my area and the resulting line surges, before all went black for the afternoon, apparently caused my big central UPS in the basement that drives the computer upstairs into having a heart attack.

The computer and hard drive I was using for all my on line is toasted. I'm now using a P-200 I had set up for my audio testing downstairs. I need to repace it ASAP though. I lost a lot of picture files, my entire address book and all my cool internet links I had gathered over the years. IT happens!

Thanx for the support and love. :)

Rob

Hey WW, just wondering if you used a pipe or papers for that puter smokin', and what were you listening to at the time? :D I tried snorting my puter, but the dang monitor kept getting stuck in my nose :p:

Hi Rob,

I have a motherboard with an AMD K6-2 350MHz sitting in the shop gathering dust, even have the paperwork. A spare CD-ROM drive (50x) and a spare 3.5 floppy drive. If they are any use I can ship them. No spare memory I'm afraid - neither computer nor my own.:(

Rob

Rob,

That sounds like a very attrractive offer! Do you think it would drop into the case my P-150 motherboard is in and also use the same power supply? How about memory. What chips does it use?

Thanx,
Rob

It should, it is a Baby AT sized board and takes 72 pin Simms near as I recall. I am using its twin in my shop and although the CPU is a 350 I think the board will only run it at 330, but what is 20MHz here and there.

Being an AT board it takes the bigger keyboard connector but it does have a PS-2 mouse port that is a separate thing that takes up a slot.

Drop me a line and we can set it up.

Rob

Dave,

The PSU plug on the motherboard is a single row so it is an AT I guess. Same on the P-200 I'm on now which I'm looking at with the cover off 'cause I'm still not fully configured.

Rob,

The RAM in my dead P-150 and also the P-200 is 72 pin simms EDO and I have 64M of it in 4 strips of 16M so I guess I'm OK. Looks like this will work! I'll PM you.

Thanx again guys!

Rob

Hi Rob,

Florence will take your stuff to the post office today. I put in the mobo, the two slot fillers that hold the PS2 mouse and serial and
parrallel connectors CD-Rom and fan. Found all the paperwork - it is a Soyo mobo and is all set up for the AMD processor. Also saw that there are three SIMM and two DIMM slots. The Addendum in the paperwork shows where all the case connectors fit. Oh yeah, it will accept AT or ATX power connectors. Enjoy.

Rob

Rob,

Hey that is really super of you and Florence for her help. I'll let you know when I get it put together.

I owe you man!

Rob

Just to let you know, she sent it by some sort of air parcel as it was very little more, so apart from any customs hang up it should be there soon.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom