robert_kc current systems

robert_kc

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Here’s my current systems:

Living room: Oppo BDP-95, Dual 1249 with Stanton 681EE, Snell Type CV speakers, a pair of McIntosh MC30s, Scott 296, McIntosh MX110Z / McIntosh MC275, a pair of Pilot HF-56 mono receivers, an NAD pre-amp and Acurus A250 power-amp for movies, and a McIntosh 2155 driving JBL L830s in the kitchen / dining room. (That’s a 1938 Philco 38-690 sitting between the speakers.)

IMG_3176_zpsgnx66ghn.jpg

TV room: The source is an Oppo BDP-105. The speakers are Klipsch Palladium P-37Fs. The amps are Scott 399, Fisher 800B, Kenwood KR-9050, Pioneer SX-1980, Fisher X-1000, Scott 299C, McIntosh MC240, and an NAD C375BEE. The tube amps are for music. The solid state amps are for movies.

100_1533_zpsa73acf48.jpg

Office: Oppo DV-980H, JBL L880s, Fisher 500C, Scott 299B, Altec 353A.

100_2036_zpsklx00gh9.jpg

Basement: Oppo DV-980H SACD/CD/DVD, Klipsch RF-7s, Scott 272, Inspire “Fire Bottle” SE Stereo Tube Amplifier HO, Scott 222C, McIntosh MX110Z, Fisher KX-200, Marantz 2325, Pilot SA-260, Scott 210F (mono), Fisher TA 500 (mono), Scott LK150.

Bedroom: Fisher TA 500 (AM/FM mono receiver) driving a Klipsch WF-35. Source is an older CD player.

Thanks nickrobotron and Rome. I keep saying that I’m done acquiring gear – then something interesting shows up on eBay …

Hello @robert_kc Found this tread through the search button. Sorry to say the pictures of your gear is gone.
Im a bit curious about your experience with the Palladium P37F's. Im currently playing(mostly) on a pair of RF-83, which I must say I love very much in every way. Its the best allround speaker for that kind of dollar I think. I also see you have a pair of RF-7, which I also like and did compare to the RF-83's and back then the 83's won by the smallest margin (imo) they are a touch more 'laid-back'

Main reason I look for upgrades is I think the titanium drivers in the 2-way RF-series have some driver 'break-up' or resonance problems with some female vocals. I dont know if you recognise this from your RF-7's, I think they have different drivers than the RF-63 and RF-83 which is the same.
Problems is audible with powerful high pitch female voices like Adele and the like. With 99% of music I hear no distortion/resonance.
I would like to add this is a very small problem wich took me years to discover through critical listening and switching between amps and other gear, but you know how it is when you first find something 'wrong' its impossible not to hear it : )

Now. I have layed my eyes on the Palladium P37/38/39(F) series, as the prices for used ones now are more within range for my wallet.
I am basically not as much interested in the furniture upgrade, more in the audio way. As I have read their midrange is outstanding.
(Although I think the Palladiums look great.)

I was kind of hoping you would share your experience as owner of RF-7 and P37F, maybe you could describe the strong and weak sides of both. Maybe you even have some experience fith the P38 or P39 would be nice to hear.

Sorry if i explain myself a bit weird, english is not my first language.

Best regards
KO

Hello kjello,

Following is a description of my current systems that include the Klipsch RF-7II (basement), and the Klipsch Palladium P-37F (TV room):

TV room: Stereo speakers are Klipsch Palladium P-37F. Subwoofer: Klipsch P-312W. The source is an Oppo BDP-105 (with USB hard drive containing high-res FLAC recordings). The amps are Scott 399, McIntosh MC225, Kenwood KR-9050, Fisher 800B, Fisher X-1000, Scott 299C, McIntosh MC240, and an NAD C375BEE. The tube amps are for music. The solid-state amps are for movies. A patch panel (banana plugs) allows me to connect the speakers to whichever amp I want, and Niles AXP-1 RCA selector switches connect the Oppo to the amp. Chromecast Audio for internet radio and Spotify Premium.

Basement: Front, center, and left speakers are Klipsch RF-7 II. A single rear speaker is a Klipsch RF-7. Subwoofers: SVS SB16-Ultra, Klipsch R-115SW. Source: Oppo UDP-205 (with USB hard drive containing high-res FLAC recordings). Amps: Scott 272, Inspire “Fire Bottle” SE Stereo Tube Amplifier HO, Scott 222C, McIntosh MX110Z tuner/preamp, Fisher KX-200, Scott 296, Pilot SA-260, Scott LK150. A patch panel allows me to connect the speakers to whichever amp I want, and F/F RCA cables enable me to connect an amp to the Oppo, and a power amp to the MX110Z. Chromecast Audio for internet radio and Spotify Premium.​

I listen to hi-res recordings of classical music and opera. (Blu-ray, SACD, 24/192 FLAC.)

I prefer tube amps vs. solid state for Klipsch speakers.

Based on audio quality, I prefer the RF-7II to the Palladium P-37F. (Klipsch is now shipping the RF-7III, which have received favorable reviews.) For most music, the RF-7II do not need a subwoofer. They have significant dynamic range for both low frequencies and high frequencies. (Operatic sopranos are particularly demanding of loudspeakers – I believe much more so than pop singers – and the RF-7II excel at opera.) In my experience the RF-7II do not distort at any sane volume level, in an average size home listening room. The RF-7II sound particularly good with 6L6GC tube amps.

Based on aesthetics, I prefer the Palladium P-37F to the RF-7II. The Palladium P-37F needs a subwoofer, IMO. (I use Oppo universal player’s “bass management” functionality.) With a subwoofer, the P-37F are capable of excellent sound quality.

I have no experience with the RF-83, or P-38F or P-39F.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Last edited:
Thank you for your time.
Is it possible to hear a difference between RF-7 and RF-7 II ?

KO

Is it possible to hear a difference between RF-7 and RF-7 II ?

Yes. I prefer the RF-7II. With that said, with a tube amp, and tone controls, I think you could get good sound quality from the RF-7.

My understanding is that in the USA, good deals are available on the RF-7III, which is what I'd buy if I were in the market today. I don't know the market in Norway.

Please keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom