Rock only good on SS stuff?

Boston, Journey, AC/DC, Van Halen etc all came out of the same box, none sounded unique. Rock was Hendrix, Zappa, Mountain, The Band, Pink Floyd, Yes, Zeppelin, Beatles, Moody Blues, Stones, Doors, Deep Purple, The Who, The Kinks, Leon Russell, Lou Reed, David Bowie, Manfred Mann, Steely Dan and Neilson. Country rock was Molly Hatchet, Leonard Skynnard and the Allman Bros. None of these bands sounded the same.
The late 70s homogenized Rock and it was after disco showed up. It was also when Fender, Marshall, etc started making SS amps for pro music. Soon after CDs came out and LPs dissapeared from stores.
Recording quality went to hell and as far as I am concerned it all went to hell when disco showed up. Donna Summers killed rock and left Heavy Metal in her wake.
Course once Rock died I went Fusion and hung onto Steely Dan and a few other favorites and started listening to Return To Forever, Jean Luc Ponty, Tony Williams, Weather Report, Oregon then retroed back to the great female jazz vocalists of the 50s, some Big Band and pursued the love of classical supplied me by pot and A Clock Work Orange.
Sorry Thor, I guess I lost touch and can't much get beyong Live and The Red Hot Chilie Peppers but now do like Zydaco.
Say babe, take a walk on the wild side........and the colored girls go.....

Mr. Thatch. You hit the proverbial nail square on the head.

"Rock was Hendrix, Zappa, Mountain, The Band, Pink Floyd, Yes, Zeppelin, Beatles, Moody Blues, Stones, Doors, Deep Purple, The Who, The Kinks, Leon Russell, Lou Reed, David Bowie, Manfred Mann, Steely Dan and Neilson. Country rock was Molly Hatchet, Leonard Skynnard and the Allman Bros."

Couldn't have said it better myself. Rock took a chit right down the toilet when the disco craze hit and it never has had the same soul since.

Who in the hell sounded like AC/DC before AC/DC came out? Van Halen also sorry no one sounded like Van Halen when they came out. Bands like Boston and Journey may not have been original but they still sound good. For you to say AC/DC and Van Halen weren't a different unique sound is just you being an old fart ;) Jazz Vocalists????? How can someone who listens to Jazz be qualified to say what's good rock and not? That's like a Pediatrist telling the gynacologist what a healthy vagina looks like :tongue:

Hey I think the nursing home called and said it's past you old geezer's bedtime ;) Don't forgot to take your metamucil so you'll stay regular :D

Where's a damn moderator when you need one! Help! My thread is being hijacked!:D
Perhaps the bands I mentioned in my post should be classified as "alternative rock." The bands from the seventies should be "classic?"
Anyways, I am still changing components and cables in and out trying to figure if my original post is valid.
One thing is for sure: Everything sounds good on my Paramours and Loths. Still trying to figure out the upstairs system. There is still a feeling that there is no attack. Whether or not it's "The Who" or "Staind," it seems the Fisher fills the midrange so much the sound to my ears is uh...muddled? Is that a word?
Time to roll some tubes.;)

Watt for watt, I've found that well-designed tube amps do a better job at reproducing the dynamics of rock music than most (but not all) comparably-powered solid-state amps.

That said, different rock recordings seem to naturally gravitate towards either tube or solid-state systems. Specifically, rock albums that were recorded using tube gear almost universally sound better when played through tube amps, while rock albums that were recorded with solid-state gear more often than not sound "truer" through solid-state amps.

The Beatles catalog offers an excellent illustration of this. For instance, "Magical Mystery Tour" - which is a tube recording - sounds MUCH more psychedelic with a tube amp in line. In contrast, "Abby Road" - which was recorded not long after Abby Road Studios went solid-state - tends to sound a bit more immediate with a top-notch solid-state amp. Or at least that's how I hear it...

Of course, the above observations merely underscore a more general point: There is no such thing as a completely neutral, perfectly transparent amplifier, be it tube or solid-state.

These observations also support the claim that the "enlightened music lover" will have at least two radically different audio systems available for their listening pleasure... ;)

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited:
"enlightened music lover" So a true balls to the wall, scare the neighbors, shotgunning beers, whiskey drinking headbanger only needs one? ;)

I just love it when Thor shows us all how little he actually knows about music. Guess it's time to set the young punk straight again...

"Who in the hell sounded like AC/DC before AC/DC came out?"

That's Easy... NAZARETH. Just listen to their album "Razmanaz" which was released in 1973. AC/DC's first album "High Voltage" didn't come out until 1975. (You do the math).

Scarey to think what you must believe a healthy vagina looks like!!! :eek:

mOOn

All right moondog I'll say Nazareth (a two hit wonder) sounds similar but the guy in Nazareth did have a better voice than Bon Scott or the current AC/DC guy. Who is still around? Who has sold more records? This thread is not about what band is worthy. And if anyone doesn't feel AC/DC is ONE OF THE GREATEST BANDS TO JUST PLAIN CRANK IT UP TO, they should just go back to listening to their jazz records and not be posting in a thread about how rock sounds on toobs or SS, since by not listening to AC/DC, Van Halen and other bands we have talked about here obviously shows you are not a true fan of hard rock or your volume knob.

Fascinating:

BrianB chimes in with an insightful observation yet the post continues in a "my band sounds better then your band" manner.

I have not contributed to this post becuase I hve yet to experience the joys of a real tube amp. I am not qualified to speak on something that my ignorance clearly outshadows my knowledge.

I have no doubt the tubies know what they are talking about.

If I feel SS smokes tubes on live J. Geils I had better have listened to alot of different combos of speakers, etc before I tell you that's the way it is.

Now, if you want my opinions on why Van Halen contributed to the death of decent rock guitar work.... move the thread to music.

:twak: :thmbsp: :rockon: :blah:

"Now, if you want my opinions on why Van Halen contributed to the death of decent rock guitar work.... move the thread to music."

What! :mad: ;)

Yah move it to the granpa's music thread so all the oldsters can talk about "back in my day" :D

Hey GF, not to get any more off topic but, been fishing lately? How's about some fishing pics?

:( Thor...I've only gone fishin a couple times this year. Just have some other things taken my time right now...but I'm hopin' next year I become a fishophile again ;)

I think I forgot to mention Journey in "out of the same box". I didn't say that the music was bad or that I didn't like it but that it was homogenized. I listened to the stuff for years and still hear and do not know one band from the rest.
And when I refered to tubed amps I meant what the musician was using. The reason the old tube guitar amps are worth so much money is not nastalgia but the sound.
When I was using my Shahinian Obelisks for my mains there was a bit of a difference in the slam of the bass between tubes and SS. The major difference was in the highs and SS was hands down the looser there in that it sometimes felt like I was having a knitting needle shoved into my ears (or what I think it would feel like). It definatly ranked up there with the joy of swimmer's ear.
MD, I think that your system just doesn't have the synergy to do what you want. I would not look to the Fisher but to the Polks as where you are getting muddled. Play with the tone controls.
Damn, that must hurt! A muddle stick looks like a little club.

I will definetely try to get ya out there, we got Largemouths too in a few places:

Of course the only problem in fishing for the bigmouths is the damm gators! Well not really but sometimes the pickerels get so damm big I'd be scared to tip the boat over :eek: There are actually a few lakes and ponds where pike have been illegally stocked and are flourishing on the trout and salmon and growing into the 20lb range. This is only a 4lb or so pickerel but the damm slimy, toothy thing still cut my line and tried to swim away with my $6 lure, luckily I had worn him down at that point that he was tired and we chased him down and I snagged my lure with my rod and got my lure back! ;)

With apologizes to Dingus... I must reply to Thor on the music thing again...

Thor... I love the "2 Hit Wonder" part you added to the Nazareth thread. Are you saying, if a song hasn't been played on the radio a zillion times then it must not be good? To me it's almost always the opposite. I could care less if I ever hear the 2 songs you hinted at by Nazareth ever again. They recorded a whole slew of songs that are 10 times greater than those 2 songs will ever be. Maybe you need to broaden your horizons a little bit. There's a lot of great music out there that never made it to Corporate America's SHIT RADIO.

As for VAN HALEN... Don't get me started... ;)

mOOn

Back to fishing...

I despise Northerns. Muskies,too!

F----ing fish have taken over the river in the UP where I use to go trout fishing. My favorite sport is wacking them over the head with a pipe as I'm lifting them into the boat and before they can trash the whole boat.

Piece of crap fish come right up to the boat before they start to fight and then clamp their mouths shut on your lure when you get them in, assuming you still have your lure.

I hate them and muskies and anybody who stocks them ought to be hung on the wall instead of the fish.

Smallmouths on the other hand.......

The best!

Lee

Back
Top Bottom