Rocking the Nursery...any baby-approved systems?

jchouston

Do any members have hifi or midfi setups in their baby nurseries?

My TWO children are due to arrive at the start of 2015 and in anticipation of spending a bunch of time in their room, I want to see others' nursery systems. No reason not to start their music appreciation early!

I have a spare Norh integrated tube amp, but I'd prefer to find something less "heat-y." Speakers will be a pair of spare Sonus Faber Concertinos.

Also, I'd like to see what other members are using for sources. I'm thinking just an older model iPhone/iPod dock so I can stream stuff. I don't want a bunch of cd's and records in there (nor does my wife).

Thanks.

I have a Yamaha CR-420 with a 30 GB Ipod/dock in our little one's room. Speakers are KEF C15. The Ipod is loaded with mostly classical and jazz for when we are in there with him, and a white noise track for when he's alone. He's not even 3 months old yet and already sleeps straight 6 hours at night. The white noise is a godsend.

Years ago I had the Yamaha R-900 receiver, Denon 1420 CDP and PSB Alpha mites powering nursery rythmes. Pretty sweet set up for an infant. She appreciates quality now.

We just use an old iPhone or Samsung galaxy paired with a Bluetooth speaker. Anything more is just feeding your own ego ;)

My TWO children...

Congrats on the twins! Been there done that. Sitting at the airport now with my 5 yo identical boys (and wife and daughter) waiting for our flight.

We just used some decent powered computer speakers hooked up to an old iPod touch. We mostly played classical and traditional kids songs, with some white noise mixed in here and there. Worked well enough for our needs.

Thought this was a site for audio, troll.

It is. And my 2.5yr old and 4mo old could give two sh*ts about how they hear their Disney Princess and George Winston Pandora stations. So anything more than a basic speaker dock is purely for the parent. Save the extravagant system for when they're older and will appreciate what is being setup in their room.

After completing the baby's room, I put my extra Sanusi QRX-5500 and a pair of old Sansui SP-7500X speakers in my little boys room. I would play a lot of my classical and jazz collection that he very much enjoyed. I definitely could have gone more simple but I had the gear laying around and I think my boy enjoyed seeing the lights and meters dancing. Congrats on the upcoming babies! Nothing much more rewarding than raising children :)

I'm not a troll, but I kinda gotta agree with him.. How ate up are we if a stereo is of more interest to us in a nursery than the baby, or the true needs of the baby?

What gave you the impression or even balls to assume I'm not 100% focused on my children?

The post states that I will be spending a lot of time in the nursery. As I have the interest and resources to indulge in my audio habit, it flows that a stereo in the nursery could be an interesting topic to discuss on an audio website.

It in no way invites you to hazard a guess as to how I feel about the true needs of my children.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is. And my 2.5yr old and 4mo old could give two sh*ts about how they hear their Disney Princess and George Winston Pandora stations. So anything more than a basic speaker dock is purely for the parent. Save the extravagant system for when they're older and will appreciate what is being setup in their room.

You'll note it was me who posted the original question and not my infants so, naturally, the topic IS for me.

It is not an invitation for you to further opine as to what my motivations may be.

So, just say "cheap speaker dock" and save your unsolicited opinions for whomever cares about them.

Congrats on the twins! Been there done that. Sitting at the airport now with my 5 yo identical boys (and wife and daughter) waiting for our flight.

We just used some decent powered computer speakers hooked up to an old iPod touch. We mostly played classical and traditional kids songs, with some white noise mixed in here and there. Worked well enough for our needs.

Thanks and safe travels!

After completing the baby's room, I put my extra Sanusi QRX-5500 and a pair of old Sansui SP-7500X speakers in my little boys room. I would play a lot of my classical and jazz collection that he very much enjoyed. I definitely could have gone more simple but I had the gear laying around and I think my boy enjoyed seeing the lights and meters dancing. Congrats on the upcoming babies! Nothing much more rewarding than raising children :)

Thanks! That's great insight. We're very much looking forward to our first children. Like you, I'm thinking/hoping to utilize some of my extra gear in a fun and productive way. This nursery is going to be my nook. I can't wait. Thanks again.

Now that the thread is re-opened.. I'll try and re-post what I was trying to say when it got closed after your uncalled for remarks. Please realize I am not putting you down...

THIS IS A HOBBY.. some times hobbies become an addiction.. Three of us have pointed out that you may be over thinking a system for the baby room...

I was not alone in pointing this out, so maybe it should be food for thought???

You are having twins.. You may spend a lot of time in that room... BUT TIME WITH THEM IS SHORT.. .They grow up.. they move away... Enjoy THAT time.. there will always be time for music and gear...

We weren't trying to belittle you... Some have been where you are about to be... They are trying to point something out to you... but you would rather be defensive than listen to some with experience.

Pretty sure it's you who is overthinking this.

This isn't a site for chemical dependency issues.

It's an idle thread about furnishing a room.

To all future posters: weird as it may seem, I'm not looking for advice on potential parental shortcomings in this thread.

Just looking for bullshit talk 'bout stereos.

Not hard.

Thanks to those of you who inherently understand this concept.

You should rather think about how to protect your main system from them. As for kids - they will likely need TV and video player, but that in a couple of years from now.

Back
Top Bottom