Rogers BBC Studio Monitor Find - Help

Good hunting!!

I see there is a pair of L3/5's on the shop goodwill.com site that have a current bid of over $700

I think that pair sold previously for about $1100 and then for some reason went up for sale again and ended at $740 which is a very good bargain. I think though the same person won on both auctions.

I have tried several replacement bass units for the LS3/6, so far, the best is the Dalesford Bextrene unit. With these units the LS3/6 beat my good condition Spendor BC1's.

The rebuild of my LS3/6's is detailed on the Yahoo Spendor Group.

I have tried several replacement bass units for the LS3/6, so far, the best is the Dalesford Bextrene unit. With these units the LS3/6 beat my good condition Spendor BC1's.

The rebuild of my LS3/6's is detailed on the Yahoo Spendor Group.

I can't seem to find the your rebuild in the Spendor Classic group. Is it a clone project or complete rebuild? Can you detail which of the Dalesford woofers you used?

And can you provide a link to the files, photos, or thread/conversation that give details on your rebuild? thanks!

I can't seem to find the your rebuild in the Spendor Classic group. Is it a clone project or complete rebuild? Can you detail which of the Dalesford woofers you used?

And can you provide a link to the files, photos, or thread/conversation that give details on your rebuild? thanks!

Difficult to negotiate the new style Yahoo groups, think it's called "LS3/6, original type" Jan 15 2014. The title then goes to Rogers Export Monitor. There are some pictures there too.

About 8 years ago I bought the genuine crossovers (minus one supertweeter crossover), on ebay, seller said that if I collect the cabinets I could have them free. Cabinets were missing backs and false fronts. I collected the correct HF1300's and HF2000's over the years. Bass units are the Dalesford D50/200

Since the last post, new false fronts were made and the cabinets re-finished.

They look good, and sound very nice driven by a Radford STA25 III.

Link to first post and pics, I hope:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups...sortOrder=desc&photoFilter=ALL&orderBy=mtime#

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/spendor/conversations/messages/13234

Last edited:
There's current thread about the Rogers LS3/6 and related Monitor 2, Export, and Studio 1 speakers. The issue of which near sounding replacement bextrene or other woofer drivers to use instead of the original Rogers or Dalesford drivers has been a vexing one for many. I feel that some older threads have a lot of wisdom and experience, and add to the discussion.

Thank you, please point me towards it!!!

I have tried a few units as replacements, KEF B200, units from B&W DM2 and DM4, Audax Bextrene, and some others

I have tried a few units as replacements, KEF B200, units from B&W DM2 and DM4, Audax Bextrene, and some others

Here you go:
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?posts/9520830/

And which worked the best for you ultimately, the Dalesford D50/200 that you spoke of? Of the rest, any favorites that were close? I would be interested in which SP # B200's you tried. Most all of the KEF B200 designs were sealed so dealing with a ported cabinet seems a bit difficult. The B200 with the largest cabinet would be the SP1039.

Yes- my cost was probably around what you would pay in gas to pick that pair up and bring them home.

I got an absolutely great deal if that ad is any indication of what they go for!!!
Hmmm?....Gas from Abby to Vancouver .....around $20 bucks on the average vehicle!.....OUCH!! Amazing they weren't gone before you seen the add! The" Holland" woofer is definately a Philips...We have had many of them....If it had the rubber suspenion...it would be as good as the original driver for sound...or better! From what I can tell of the Philips...we use to get around $50 or so...selling them on Ebay. Did you have a pic. of the fronts of both odd woofers?

Last edited:
I've auditioned both the Export Monitor and the Studio 1 many years ago and loved them both. My recollection from what I read about them at the time was that they had Dalesford woofers.

Here you go:
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?posts/9520830/

And which worked the best for you ultimately, the Dalesford D50/200 that you spoke of? Of the rest, any favorites that were close? I would be interested in which SP # B200's you tried. Most all of the KEF B200 designs were sealed so dealing with a ported cabinet seems a bit difficult. The B200 with the largest cabinet would be the SP1039.

Forgot that I also tried Spendor BC2 bass units, same as Spendor Prelude units.

The Dalesford D50/200 is very good, but I have recently changed them for Dalesford D100/200, these are very much like (if not identical) to the units used in the Export Monitor. The D100/200 has a larger magnet, is slightly more efficient, slightly more midrange, but not quite as sweet, slightly firmer bass, and can handle more power.

All the other units mentioned seemed to give less good midrange to varying degrees.The B200 were SP1014, and also the larger magnet version as used in the Cadenza (forget the SP number).

From memory, excluding the Dalesfords, the best, although some way behind were Audax Bextrene coned unit, then Spendor BC2, B&W DM4,KEF B200 (both models) B&W DM2.

Hmmm?....Gas from Abby to Vancouver .....around $20 bucks on the average vehicle!.....OUCH!! Amazing they weren't gone before you seen the add! The" Holland" woofer is definately a Philips...We have had many of them....If it had the rubber suspenion...it would be as good as the original driver for sound...or better! From what I can tell of the Philips...we use to get around $50 or so...selling them on Ebay. Did you have a pic. of the fronts of both odd woofers?

Thanks for the info! There are some pics of the front of the mismatched woofers that were originally installed on a earlier page of this thread. I'm sure I have that driver still. If that Phillips is as good as the originals it might be easier to find another similar Phillips woofer than some Dalesford or Kef replacements.

Last edited:
I did a small mod to the LS3/6 crossover to give slightly more midrange, when I find it, will post the details. I can't look now, but hopefully, in about 6 hours.

Here is the modification to the crossover. My logic for doing the mod is that original LS3/6 bass units had a higher impedance than 8 Ohm nominal. Therefore, to use 8 Ohm nominal bass units, the series inductors would have to be reduced in value. As this would need modifying, or replacing them, I tried to compensate by putting additional resistors across them. Seems to work quite well.

I would add that this mod is for using Dalesford Bextrene 8 Ohm bass units with either LS3/6 or early Export Monitor crossovers, which are the same. Later Export Monitior Export Crossovers are different and quite simplified.

Attachments

• LS3 6 Modified Crossover.jpg
    LS3 6 Modified Crossover.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I always wanted to upgrade my early 1980s Rogers Studio 1s for a pair of Studio Monitors. It is fun to read that others have found them and are enjoying them. I am now trying to refurbish the Studio 1s again after many years of great use. It appears from my speaker consultant that one woofer is shot. Does anyone have a suggestion for a pair of replacement wooofers for the Studio 1s? I also asked on the other Rogers thread. Thanks.

Depends on what has caused the failure of the woofer.

You might consider calling Bill Miller at MillerSound and see if he might be able to repair or replace the voice coil for you if that is what has blown. If there is physical damage to the cone, that's another issue. If there is a surround failure or damage, there might be some rubber surrounds available from European sources.

Otherwise, you'd be looking for two new replacement woofers of some type.

Thanks Mech986, The speakers are at a well-thought of shop in Albany, NY now. They have spent a lot of time attempting a repair unsuccessfully. I am not quite sure what has failed. I am sure this shop is quite capable of reconing and replacing the surrounds. I will inquire regarding the voice coil condition. The repairman believes the component needs replacement. The question becomes, with which replacement woofer?

Thanks Mech986, The speakers are at a well-thought of shop in Albany, NY now. They have spent a lot of time attempting a repair unsuccessfully. I am not quite sure what has failed. I am sure this shop is quite capable of reconing and replacing the surrounds. I will inquire regarding the voice coil condition. The repairman believes the component needs replacement. The question becomes, with which replacement woofer?

Aye, that question about a replacement woofer has been a vexing one for many Rogers owners since the company folded. I will query my LS3/5a newsgroup friends and see what their opinion may be.

Back
Top Bottom