ROKU....Some problems....

pdm4606

I have been using a Sony Playstation.Vue with ROKU for around 2 months now and a problem has developed.
The issue consist of what exactly is "HOME" to the Playstation system and your point of use.
My Playstation system is supposed to work in my neighborhood of Las Cruces/El Paso. It never has. It latched onto the neighborhood called "Albuquerque/Santa Fe". Not my choice. Talking with Playstation they feel that I must go by their guidelines and stick in my home area. I have reset my ROKU several times to my area, Las Cruces/El Paso, only to find that it has gone back to the ALBQ/SANTA FE neighborhood. Playstation says they have in their vast program enough lattitude for me to go to their guidelines and if there's a problem I must talk to Century Link about changing servers and slowness issues. These issues may change neighborhoods but is still unknown.
What a mess. Everyone is handing off the issue leaving me with it. I have not talked with Cent. Link yet as they are not open to talk about their servers or anything for that matter.

Has anyone had a problem like this??? If so, what has been done to fix it.

I don't have any direct knowledge about how the Playstation.Vue is setup to behave, but I have seen a similar issue in the past. It's possible that your provider, Century Link, is giving you an IP Address that they have registered as being in the Albuquerque/Santa Fe area. This can lead to confusion if an application wants to find your location based on your IP Address.

We had the issue with our old cable provider which was based in Lakeland, FL. Occasionally they would update the IP Range they were using in our area, Kissimmee, to one that should have been in Lakeland. All manner of fun & confusion would ensue.

Mark Gosdin

I don't have any direct knowledge about how the Playstation.Vue is setup to behave, but I have seen a similar issue in the past. It's possible that your provider, Century Link, is giving you an IP Address that they have registered as being in the Albuquerque/Santa Fe area. This can lead to confusion if an application wants to find your location based on your IP Address.

We had the issue with our old cable provider which was based in Lakeland, FL. Occasionally they would update the IP Range they were using in our area, Kissimmee, to one that should have been in Lakeland. All manner of fun & confusion would ensue.

Mark Gosdin

Maybe...But my official ZIP code shows up as being in the area they are using and really is the location of me and my home.

If there wasn't such issues as dropout and quality I wouldn't bother either. But the dropouts are directly increased with an area you are not really in doing the work of.
The reason for this is that PlayStation.Vue sends 2 signals in their digital feed. Both at the same time and both usable with your modem. The purpose of 2 signals is to backup either signal in case of a dropout.
This feature is totally defeated if you are using an area router that is not in your home area. It shuts down to a single signal making dropouts assuredly.
In other words they are intent on you keeping your home signal the only signal you are successfully able to use.

This morning I started my TV only to find it again was in the Albq./Santa Fe area. I went to my computer to see if I could reset it only to be notified I will no longer be able to reset my home and to call customer service. I called and was told to unplug my ROKU device and wait a minute while the service Tech. reset the home location.
He did and it is still working now.

And to top it off I found the reset takes place in their tech. dept which is closed on Sat. and Sunday.
One step closer to pulling the plug.

Back
Top Bottom