Ronnie Earl & The Broadcasters - "Still River"

Gang-Twanger

Resident Wharfedaliophool
Artist - Ronnie Earl & The Broadcasters
Title - "Still River"
US CD (from around '91-'92 - I honestly can't tell you where else this was pressed - My original copy was stolen, so now I just have a CD-R copy)

Ronnie Earl - guitar
Bruce Katz - organ, piano, keyboards
Rod Carey - Bass
Per Hanson - Drums

I have to find another original copy of this CD. It's been a long time since I last heard it, and I've significantly-upgraded my stereo system since then - I never realized how great this disc sounds. The volume level is set perfectly. It's as if it's loud enough, yet you're able to keep turning up the volume on your stereo. Extremely-dynamic. Definitely one for the audiophiles.

Anyone who's seen Ronnie Earl play live knows what I'm talking about - Seeing him play in person is a downright religious experience. But this "Still River" CD really does a fantastic job of trying to capture his live sound and feel in the studio. Ronnie Earl has been a household name in blues circles for decades, even before his days with Roomful Of Blues (after the departure of Duke Robillard). But he stepped it up a notch after he got clean & sober and recorded this semi-solo disc with his own band The Broadcasters (Katz, Carey, & Hanson). It's an all-instrumental mix of Texas, Chicago, and various other blues styles, and Earl plays with an intensity not heard before. His band is as tight and together as they come. Katz is an incredible organ player (Especially live - hard to explain here) and Carey is a rock-solid, and quite-underrated bassist. Per Hanson is known as one of the best blues drummers in the world. IMO, he's a big reason why this album is so good. He really is the most-dynamic drummer I've ever heard. And Ronnie makes it clear to everybody why he's no "Stevie Ray-wannabe". He plays a Fender Stratocaster and plays through a Fender tube amp, but that's where it ends. He's taken a cornucopia of different blues guitar styles and mixed them into his own style - and he's the only one that can play it. And this is not just another jammy, instrumental, blues guitar album. There isn't a single clunker on this disc - All great songs from a number of different blues styles, and somehow it never gets boring. You won't regret buying this one. It's a keeper. The best of the "Broadcasters" albums, and Ronnie's best, IMO.

Last edited:
Artist - Ronnie Earl & The Broadcasters
Title - "Still River"
US CD (from around '91-'92 - I honestly can't tell you where else this was pressed - My original copy was stolen, so now I just have a CD-R copy)

Ronnie Earl - guitar
Bruce Katz - organ, piano, keyboards
Rod Carey - Bass
Per Hanson - Drums

I have to find another original copy of this CD. It's been a long time since I last heard it, and I've significantly-upgraded my stereo system since then - I never realized how great this disc sounds. The volume level is set perfectly. It's as if it's loud enough, yet you're able to keep turning up the volume on your stereo. Extremely-dynamic. Definitely one for the audiophiles.

Anyone who's seen Ronnie Earl play live knows what I'm talking about - Seeing him play in person is a downright religious experience - Definitely the way to capture the Ronnie Earl experience. But this "Still River" CD really does a fantastic job of trying to capture his live sound and feel in the studio. Ronnie Earl has been a household name in blues circles for decades, even before his days with Roomful Of Blues (after the departure of Duke Robillard). But he stepped it up a notch after he got clean & sober and recorded this semi-solo disc with his own band The Broadcasters (Katz, Carey, & Hanson). It's an all-instrumental mix of Texas, Chicago, and various other blues styles, and Earl plays with an intensity not heard before. His band is as tight and together as they come. Katz is an incredible organ player (Especially live - Hard to explain) and Carey is a rock-solid, and quite-underrated bassist. Per Hanson is known as one of the best blues drummers in the world. IMO, he's a big reason why this album is so good. He really is the most-dynamic drummer I've ever heard. And Ronnie makes it clear to everybody why he's no "Stevie Ray-wannabe". He plays a Fender Stratocaster and plays through a Fender tube amp, but that's where it ends. He's taken a cornucopia of different blues guitar styles and mixed them into his own style - and he's the only one that can play it. And this is not just another jammy, instrumental, blues guitar album. There isn't a single clunker on this disc - All great songs from a number of different blues styles, and somehow it never gets boring. You won't regret buying this one. It's a keeper. The best of the "Broadcasters" albums, and Ronnie's best, IMO.

I've seen both Ronnie Earl and Duke Robillard live at One Longfellow Square in Portland, Maine. It's a small venue, about 125 seats, and all I can say is "wowzer". Both are shows not to missed. If my memory is correct, Earl will be there again on Nov. 19! :music:

Back in '95, I spent 2 weeks at the National Guitar Summer Workshop in New Milford, CT (a truly-magical experience, IMO - I'm glad I lived so close), and I had signed up for 3 different guest seminars - Ronnie Earl (& The Broadcasters), Duke Robillard, and Kenny Neal (to replace Tinsley Ellis who was originally-scheduled but had to cancel - I much preferred to see Kenny Neal anyway). There happened to be a monster heatwave that summer, and the air conditioning broke right before I got there, so it was pretty-hot in those classrooms for most of the 2 weeks I was there. However, each day when the classes were over, many students (the ones who were over 21) and instructors alike (Ronnie, his band, Duke, and Kenny included, along with many of the guest instructors) all went down to the local jazz bar in downtown New Milford in an effort to beat the heat (Great AC in THAT place). I drank a lot of Newcastles and Sam Smith's (my two favorites) over those two weeks, but what a great time it turned out to be. I spent a lot of time talking (and drinking) and playing with so many great artists (except Ronnie didn't drink, of course, but he still hung out there to beat the heat). The seminars were awesome as well. All in all, a wonderful experience that I highly-recommend.
:guitar:

Last edited:
Audioquest AQ-CD1018.

All of these Audioquest CD's sound fantastic. Done By Joe Harley all analog live to 2 track.

I agree the music is great as well as the recording.

Ken

Audioquest AQ-CD1018.

All of these Audioquest CD's sound fantastic. Done By Joe Harley all analog live to 2 track.

I agree the music is great as well as the recording.

Ken

I had no idea that Joe Harley was the producer. The 2-track thing makes sense - The album does have a "live" sound. I knew they weren't doing overdubs (or at least that's how it sounds), but I didn't realize that they went quite so old-school (and I didn't know too-much about the Audioquest label, except that they did blues music - I wasn't doing the audiophile thing back then). It's a great-sounding CD. Very-dynamic. It's one of those discs that really comes alive when you crank it up on a decent stereo system. It's a great demo disc.

I'll have to keep an eye out for more of the Audioquest discs. I'm in New England, and since Ronnie Earl is a New Englander along with many of the Audioquest artists, I figure that Audioquest must have been based in New England thing as well - If that's the case then I'm in a good position to find those discs locally (I've found several Ronnie Earl discs at various CT libraries).

"Still River" is definitely a great demo disc. If you think you have a great pair of speakers, this CD will help you find out for sure. It takes a good set of mids and tweeters to reproduce the piano and organ textures. Plus, Per Hanson is such a dynamic drummer (He can "bring it down" better than anyone) so there's a lot of subtle detail that a lesser speaker will miss. Plus, Ronnie Earl uses that old-fashioned '60's Fender reverb which washes over the entire mix, and that in itself is very-hard for a speaker to accurately-reproduce. I'm glad that my speakers are able to do a decent job with this disc, because it's one of those CD's that sounds great on great speakers but can also reveal your speakers' faults (and mine got some faults). It sounds best with speakers that have great bass and midrange response. You absolutely need those dynamics in order to accurately-project Per Hanson's drumming. With the right pair of speakers and a proper amp or receiver, this disc will sound simply gorgeous. It's kind of dead on a pair of computer speakers though (unless maybe you had a subwoofer).

I listened to this disc again last night. I saw many a live Broadcasters gig, and I definitely tipped a few, downed a few shots, and took many a trip out to the parking lot to "rip one", so I like to get a little glow on each time I listen to this CD. It helps bring me back to all those gigs at places like the Middlesex Rotisserie (SMALL, intimate places where you can really get up close and personal with the band - where you actually hear the guitar and bass amps and the drums, and not just the PA - No better way to see a live band). But obviously I can't listen to that disc EVERY night - I'd be a complete mess long before I ever got sick of the CD. Still, I have to admit that I like to get a little "lit" when I listen to music. I don't drink that much anymore - I've kind of lost my taste for it. So mostly I stick to the herbal varieties these days. And honestly, I can't deny that I enjoy music a lot more that way (ESPECIALLY through my current stereo system). That's just the way it is.

****(Edit 11/09/09 - Boy, I guess I WAS pretty-lit - Blah, Blah, Blah.....)

Last edited:
Still River is a great CD,He's got some others I enjoy as well.The Colour Of Love,& Guitar Virtuoso Live In Europe are good too.

Still River is a great CD,He's got some others I enjoy as well.The Colour Of Love,& Guitar Virtuoso Live In Europe are good too.

Originally I had the "Still River" CD (Now I only have a CD-R copy because my original disappeared), plus I also used to have the follow-up album (The name escapes me for some reason, but it's a great album - Wish I still had it). Right now I have the "Still River" CD-R, plus I have the "Colour Of Love", "The Duke Meets The Earl" (with Duke Robillard, obviously), and "Grateful Heart - Blues And Ballads". "Still River" is my favorite though - I've seen him play every song from that album in one live setting or another, so that's the album that brings back the most memories.

Did Audioquest release any vinyl versions ("Still River" or otherwise)?

For you blues/soul fans out there, you should also check out Robert Cray's "Midnight Stroll" album (I'd love to find a vinyl version of that one). IMO, it's his best work to date (It came out in '90, I believe). It's sort of a combination of modern blues and '60's soul (and this formula works better than his earlier stuff, IMO), and Cray sings like Sam Cooke on steroids. Outstanding guitar work, and his backing band is awesome. I've always considered this one of my all-time favorite albums.

Last edited:
Wow I just picked up Ronnie Earl and the Broadcaster's Colour of Love at the local GW last Thursday not knowing anything about him. The fact that it was on Verve and he dedicated one of his songs to Peter Green did it (and the guest appearance of Gregg Allman too) for me.....he does indeed sound like Peter Green and Carlos Santana...its an awesome cd....sometimes the best score of all is a cd that opens you up to something new

Wow I just picked up Ronnie Earl and the Broadcaster's Colour of Love at the local GW last Thursday not knowing anything about him. The fact that it was on Verve and he dedicated one of his songs to Peter Green did it (and the guest appearance of Gregg Allman too) for me.....he does indeed sound like Peter Green and Carlos Santana...its an awesome cd....sometimes the best score of all is a cd that opens you up to something new

Yeah,Gregg Allman seems to fit right in with that band.

If you like that one , then you should LOVE "Still River". I listened to "The Colour Of Love" a couple of nights ago. It still amazes me how Gregg Allman's voice sounds better now than it did in 1990-93 (back in the "An Evening With The Allman Brothers" days). Back then, I couldn't help but notice how his voice wasn't what it used to be (in concert AND the studio), and yet it seems like he's found his voice all over again. Maybe his voice isn't like it was in the early '70's, but it's a hell of a lot better now than it was in '91. I have to wonder if he's put the bottle away for good, and we're now seeing the affects of that. That would certainly do it.

Last edited:
Ronnie Earl just happens to be one of my Favorites. Still River is a very good Cd! Look for Ronnie Earl ( Blues Guitar Virtuoso in Europe) one of his best IMHO. I too have seen Ronnkie Earl as well as Duke Robillard (The Hardest Working Man in the Blues). I have only seen Ronnie once but have seeen Duke a whole bunch 7 or 8 times.

Ronnie Earl just happens to be one of my Favorites. Still River is a very good Cd! Look for Ronnie Earl ( Blues Guitar Virtuoso in Europe) one of his best IMHO. I too have seen Ronnkie Earl as well as Duke Robillard (The Hardest Working Man in the Blues). I have only seen Ronnie once but have seeen Duke a whole bunch 7 or 8 times.

Nice turntable. Is that an AR? I really dig tables with the self-contained wood base - I have a Dual 1019 that I really love, but it sits on top of the wood base rather than being built inside the base itself. Mine still looks cool and everything, but I can't help admitting that I yearn for one of those self-contained wooden base turntables. Pioneer has a few that I've seen - Even Sansui made a table or two with that look.

Back to Ronnie Earl - In 1990 (If my memory is correct), I went to the Great Woods Blues Festival in Mansfield, Mass. (The previous year I went and they had John Mayall's Blues Breakers w/ Coco Montoya on guitar, Johnny Winter, and Stevie Ray Vaughan - Now THAT was a great show). Anyway, the lineup for the '90 festival was Ronnie Earl & The Broadcasters, Pinetop Perkins, Roomful Of Blues (with Ronnie playing along with the guitarist who replaced him in the band - I'm having trouble remembering the guy's name, but he's a great player), Robben Ford (playing in a trio with a Hammond B3 player [who I think also played a bass keyboard] and a drummer, Buddy Guy, John Lee Hooker, & Etta James. It was an outstanding show (especially getting to see Hooker). Etta James was really great. My friends and I had 2nd row seats, so we were right up close and personal with the bands. I live in CT, so I had a lot of interesting drives back home from there (usually with several beers and other "consumables"). The previous year, I had ridden my motorcycle to the blues festival (earlier in the day when it was in the '90's and I was wearing nothing but a t-shirt). Well, by the time the show was over, the temperature had somehow dropped to the 48-50 degree mark - I actually bought a Great Woods sweatshirt for the sole purpose of trying to keep from freezing my gnads off (which I still did - The sweatshirt wasn't anywhere near enough since I was on a bike) - That was absolutely the coldest 2hr motorcycle ride I've ever taken. The show was awesome though. Amazing lineup. One for the books. And of course John Lee Hooker is no longer with us. I think everyone else is (even Pine Top Perkins - and he's REALLY getting up in years).

Saw Ronnie play at The Rhythmn Room in Phoenix. Small crowded room. Had a table right in front and an open chair where Ronnie's wife joined us and Ronnie came down between sets.

Another Ronnie Earl fan here. I've seen him twice up here in New Hampshire and may go to see him again on July 22nd at the Tupelo Music Hall. He puts on one helluva show. I lucked out the other day at a yard sale and picked up Grateful Heart-Blues and Ballads for $1.00. I don't have Still River so I'll have to pick that up. Thanks for the review. :thumbsup:

Here is another great live cd. Although I haven't seen him live, I enjoy his music.
R-4722321-1373404741-4504.jpeg.jpg

Back
Top Bottom