[Rookie Question] How do I know if I need to Refoam my speakers?

Slumlord

Just like the title says, how do I know? I had a pair that had a little rattle to them, I'm guessing that's a good sign. That or if they look like they are disintegrating?

I'm curious because I'm going to look at a pair of DLK's that have a "strange noise" and if they need refoamed, that's just another bargaining chip for me.

Thanks!

Slumlord,
Which model DLK? Most DLKs used rubber surrounds or the paper accordian type on their woofers. The "strange noise" could be a bad voice coil or a loose driver on the baffle board or a couple zillion other things. Best thing to do is listen to them and look closely at them. It's easy to tell if the foam surround has rotted...it's usually laying all around the bottom of the speaker and their are big gaps around the cone. If the DLK woofers don't say DLK on the dust cap and don't have rubber or accordian surounds (no DLK logo on this type of surround) I would suspect that they are not original to the speaker and unless you don't care about that then buy 'em if they are cheap enough. Most I've paid for a pair of DLK 1 1/2s is $40 for the pair. The walnut cabinets are nice but not a real fan of the driver selection or the sound. Bought them because of the mid-west connection and I toured their factory back in 1981.
Scott

If those surrounds are foam, they should be crack free and able to take a good amount of finger pressure.
If your finger goes through the foam, or there are big cracks and chunks missing, your answer would be "Yes"

Hey Scott,

First, thanks for responding. Those tips on how to know if you need to refoam are good. I suppose it's pretty basic stuff and pretty self explanitory if the foam is rotted, but I thought I'd ask.

As for the DLK's, all I know is that, they are "Vintage DLK/2 120 watt/3-way/mid.and high range adjustments.Very heavy enclosures.Original grill covers.Sound killer of course!Great condition.These were very high end back in the day.$400-$500 a pr. in the mid 70's.Asking$95/pr." - So, $95 a pair... Seems a little high... Any thoughts?

Slumlord - refoamed a pair of Boston Acoustics CR9 a while back. When I played them, there was a rattling/scratchy sound coming from one. There did not seem to be any voice coil rubbing. Finally determined that the spider had slightly separated from the basket. Epoxy applied with a small artist brush took care of that problem.

Play like new now.

Alan

Back
Top Bottom