Room Treatment Calculation Guide

Discussion in 'Listening Spaces' started by RevMen, Aug 17, 2011.

1. GYMusic

GYMusic Compression is your friend Subscriber

Here's an on line room mode calculator. Plug your room dimensions in and take a look at problem frequencies/ranges. This calculator assumes an empty room. Of course, items placed in the room or treatment on the walls will affect the outcome. My room dimensions are plugged into the default settings - plug yours in and hit return for it to do the math.

http://amroc.andymel.eu/?l=20&w=15&h=10&ft=true&r60=0.6

Here's another great site by a colleague Ethan Winer.

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/forums/24/1/Ethan_Winer_Acoustics_Forum

Please register to disable this ad.

2. mhedges

mhedges Super Member

Link isn't working

3. totem

totem AK Subscriber Subscriber

The amroc site is working for me, interesting site.

4. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8641 Subscriber

Excellent tools! Certainly takes some of the guesswork out of knowing what to put on your "to do" list for room treatments.

Once the groundwork has been laid and the major adjustments made, REW (Room EQ Wizard) is an invaluable tool for checking progress and pointing out oversights and areas that still need to be addressed. Particular pertinent here would be it's "waterfall" feature that can plot:
    • Spectral decay plots, waterfalls and spectrograms (Fourier and wavelet)
    • Impulse response, step response and energy-time curves
    • Reverberation times
    All with a one click frequency sweep. Pretty cool, especially considering it's FREE!

I'd also run test sweeps with the software BEFORE making any serious modifications to the room, if only to verify the areas of concern. If you DO run into leftover problem areas, consider a DSP solution to tweak those. I did hard treatments here, then fine tuned the room with DSP, and was able to achieve yet another level of quality that way. There again, REW is real handy, allowing you to export filter lists to hardware like the MiniDSP, or software like jRiver Media Center, or just giving you the specs for setting your PEQ.

(Doncha love it when we speak alphabet?) :D

5. Bob in WI

Bob in WI AK Subscriber Subscriber

So tell me if I've got this, I went to the ATS Acoustics site & used their calculator. I put in my room which will have plush wall to wall carpet & an acoustic tile ceiling (NRC60). The resulting reverb time (RT60) was under .3 for 4 of the frequencies calculated & under .4 for the final 2. Apparently the carpet & acoustic tile ceiling are compensating for the highly reflective (glass & drywall) walls. So I should initially concentrate on first order reflections & see how that sounds? My wife has decided she would prefer fabric covered acoustic panels to hanging carpets or tapestries on the walls so I have (within limits) some real sound taming options at my disposal. With an absorbant floor & ceiling, will I need to be concerned with bass traps (we discussed those too)?
    I'm just trying plan at this point, I know listening will determine the final result. I have to admit, some of the discussions on this topic are way over my head.

6. audioman69

audioman69 New Member

Flat frequency response. White instruments 1/3 octave eq's. Audio control analyzer.

Attached Files:

Please register to disable this ad.