Roseanne Again Noooo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not only outspoken, but out.

As far as the collateral damage goes, it seems like it's time for an 'numbskull rider' in entertainment contracts. All the non-star players and crew who have to actually earn a living get shafted every time a Barr, Cosby, etc. goes off the deep end. Like all the Cosby show kids, who now will never see a dime of residuals for what could have been a perennial moneymaker for them. Roseanne reboot will probably never air again, so everyone with a residual deal is toast. And the crew will need to scrape together other work, too. If the deal had an associated insurance setup that would kick in make-up residuals based on (some formula) x last stated ratings, then the bit players wouldn't be left out in the cold.

Or, people could act like adults. Either would work...

Not only outspoken, but out.

As far as the collateral damage goes, it seems like it's time for an 'numbskull rider' in entertainment contracts. All the non-star players and crew who have to actually earn a living get shafted every time a Barr, Cosby, etc. goes off the deep end. Like all the Cosby show kids, who now will never see a dime of residuals for what could have been a perennial moneymaker for them. Roseanne reboot will probably never air again, so everyone with a residual deal is toast. And the crew will need to scrape together other work, too. If the deal had an associated insurance setup that would kick in make-up residuals based on (some formula) x last stated ratings, then the bit players wouldn't be left out in the cold.

Or, people could act like adults. Either would work...
Or a new business model for the insurance business. Leaser actors could take out insurance for just this sort of “catastrophe”. :rolleyes:

Or

They could be more careful about who they choose to work with.

I gave up on TV in the 90s.

The crap between the commercials is only there to "sell eyeballs".
Whatever gets people to see the commercials is the objective.
The garbage between the commercials tells me a lot about the people on this planet.
I am ashamed and embarrassed by it and a little scared by what it indicates about people.

Apparently, Roseanne herself has dismantled the reboot with her snapchats/comments, whatever.

I was going to post something, but Blaine has completely and totally spelled it out, quoted above.

Oh, and the Reddit comments towards her are equally scary about society and free speech. What she said was abominable. What those who commented on her was far worse, in regard to one's right to say something stupid.

Apparently, Roseanne herself has dismantled the reboot with her snapchats/comments, whatever.

I was going to post something, but Blaine has completely and totally spelled it out, quoted above.

I might have posted this before, but ya, quit watching commercial TV (rare exceptions) in the 90's. Didn't even own a TV for many years, until someone bought me one.

Face it, commercial TV is just the carrier wave for other things.

But now, I watch alot of netflix, so maybe I'm getting sucked in anyway.

WaPo just posted this:
"ABC cancels ‘Roseanne’ after the show’s star, Roseanne Barr, goes on a vitriolic and racist Twitter rampage"

A pity for all the good and decent folks working on the show that her mouth brought down ...

I don't think her outburst was any worse than stuff she's said in the past.

They hired her for her loud mouth.
They hired her for the outrageous things she says and the controversy around the woman.
They knew what they were buying in advance- a time bomb.

What did they expect? It's a whole different world these days- she just hadn't adjusted to modern definitions of 'comedy' and what you can and can't say. Sad for all concerned.

Good riddance as far as I'm concerned. I don't care if your politics are different from mine, but calling minorities apes is waaaay across the line.

free_speech_2x.png

Well obviously, there is no defending what Roseanne said. But I'm not going to throw her under the bus. The original series was excellent IMO, and the reboot was coming along well. I know many people feel differently. But despite her penchant for putting her foot in her mouth, her television show had something to say. What she did was suicidal, really. The whole thing is a shame.

Well obviously, there is no defending what Roseanne said. But I'm not going to throw her under the bus. The original series was excellent IMO, and the reboot was coming along well. I know many people feel differently. But despite her penchant for putting her foot in her mouth, her television show had something to say. What she did was suicidal, really. The whole thing is a shame.

It is a shame, I agree. But I'd rather give airtime to those who don't think it's okay to be awful to other humans. :dunno:

On the starbucks thing-I feel like the Starbucks protests etc are silly considering it was the actions of one man who caused the problem. Send that guy to sensitivity training or fire him and let everyone else get on with their jobs. He ISN'T the star of the show.

Also shouting at someone's face with a megaphone from 3ft away qualifies as being awful to other humans in my book. Shame on that guy.

It is a shame, I agree. But I'd rather give airtime to those who don't think it's okay to be awful to other humans. :dunno:

On the starbucks thing-I feel like the Starbucks protests etc are silly considering it was the actions of one man who caused the problem. Send that guy to sensitivity training or fire him and let everyone else get on with their jobs. He ISN'T the star of the show.

Also shouting at someone's face with a megaphone from 3ft away qualifies as being awful to other humans in my book. Shame on that guy.

I just looked at Roseanne's twitter feed, which I never read, and there is a lot of stuff there that I find off the wall. Her statements so absurd and self-defeating. While her comments about Jarrett were abhorrent, I think it's a bit of an overreach to reduce her to being someone who is merely okay with being awful to other humans. No doubt she's said and done some things that people find offensive. Some of it has often come under the banner of dark humor, with her point often being misunderstood. I of course, don't know her, but can imagine her being a tough individual to deal with on a personal level. But I don't think she could have put out the kind of show she did without having a social conscience and concern for other people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom