Rotel RCD 855 - what is the going price?

Johncan

Record collector
A local pawn shop has a Rotel RCD 855 CD player for $50. How old is this model and is it worth $50? :deal:

It has a digital out... I could hook into my Musical Fidelity X-24K DAC.

Thanks!

John

i got mine at SA for $29.95. didn't really know what it was except for it being a rotel until i got it home and researched a little. it was $400 in 1994; and was very favorable reviewed in the press as a great 'bang for the buck' CDP. i have been using mine nonstop for a year and a half, straight off the shelf at SA. i've seen 'em on ebay $75-$80/$90 BIN....

shrinkboy

It is a very good CD player but it is 4x sampling only. I've had it since 1994 and it is very reliable. I love it a lot but am not sure if it is worth $50 nowaday.

I picked it up today for $35. I will play with when I get home. If I can find a cheap headphone amp, I may use it in my office.

John

You got ur moneys worth. This units laser assembly is one of the better ones around. They are still using it for much later brands. In fact I have a RCD 955ax that contiunes to amaze me as my front end gets better and better.. Do not use Cheap ratschack cables with that unit. You will be missing about 50% of its ability. forget the Digi input, it sucks... stay with Analog, like Kimber or Cardas... Buy better cables , they will never go to waste... I have a pr of Monster M1000 Mk II for sale on ebay right now for bout $50. You cant get better at that price... but do whatever, just get good cables.

The 855 has been my main machine for years now and nothing really beats it. I've been running a stock ART DI/O with it for a while now, just a smidge more life than the internal DAC.

Back
Top Bottom