Rotel RDD-1580 vs. Rega DAC-R vs. Audiolab M-DAC

N.Cotman

Hi everyone,

If there is already a thread that might help me with this please let me know.

I am considering purchasing one of these three DACs, but its looking like home auditions will not be possible. I've heard the RDD-1580 (not in my system) and it sounded great. I've read that the DAC-R is simply amazing and quite warm sounding, whereas the M-DAC is overly analytical.

I am wondering if anybody who has experience with any or all three of these DACs could shed some light on which they prefer and why?

Thanks!
Nick

Hi everyone,

If there is already a thread that might help me with this please let me know.

I am considering purchasing one of these three DACs, but its looking like home auditions will not be possible. I've heard the RDD-1580 (not in my system) and it sounded great. I've read that the DAC-R is simply amazing and quite warm sounding, whereas the M-DAC is overly analytical.

I am wondering if anybody who has experience with any or all three of these DACs could shed some light on which they prefer and why?

Thanks!
Nick

Hi Nick.
I am considering too a Rotel rdd 1580 and a rega dac.
I search a warm / analog sound, without the cold edges of digital sound.
Have you heard these devices?

I own a rotel cd 14 + naim 5i + martin logan esl and it sounds too much digital!
I was surprised that rotel makes colds cd player, 'cause in the past rotel was known for warm sound. But a dealer said the rdd 1580 is different and has a warm sound like old rotels.
So I would like to compare it with rega, but it'is not easy now.

I'll be gratefull to you for every info.
Thanks.

I'm auditioning a Rega Dac-R now. I preferred it over a NAD M51 DAC. I'm finding the Rega nice, I use filter 3, but at times a little grating. I am also going to audition the new Beresford Caiman SEG DAC. It will be interesting as the Beresford is cheap at $260.00 delivered, but has a big following in the UK. I am really curious how it compares.

I'm auditioning a Rega Dac-R now. I preferred it over a NAD M51 DAC. I'm finding the Rega nice, I use filter 3, but at times a little grating. I am also going to audition the new Beresford Caiman SEG DAC. It will be interesting as the Beresford is cheap at $260.00 delivered, but has a big following in the UK. I am really curious how it compares.
Hi Nick.
I am considering too a Rotel rdd 1580 and a rega dac.
I search a warm / analog sound, without the cold edges of digital sound.
Have you heard these devices?

I own a rotel cd 14 + naim 5i + martin logan esl and it sounds too much digital!
I was surprised that rotel makes colds cd player, 'cause in the past rotel was known for warm sound. But a dealer said the rdd 1580 is different and has a warm sound like old rotels.
So I would like to compare it with rega, but it'is not easy now.

I'll be gratefull to you for every info.
Thanks.

FWIW, I just acquired a used ROTEL RDD-1580 and I can't get the DAC to "toggle" from USB Class 1 Mode, to USB Class 2 Mode. Followed the procedure as outlined in Manual ("depress PC-USB button for 5 seconds, etc). Tried resetting DAC, no joy. Has any other Owner of a ROTEL RDD-1580 DAC experienced this issue? Thanks in advance! David, NorCal.

Nice, I've never heard of any other Beresford gear, but I do use one of their RCA switchers (4 input x 2 output) - it's NICE! Very well built, solid switches, attractive, no coloration...

I also have a Rega RP1 turntable.

Interested to hear your findings.

Nice, I've never heard of any other Beresford gear, but I do use one of their RCA switchers (4 input x 2 output) - it's NICE! Very well built, solid switches, attractive, no coloration...

I also have a Rega RP1 turntable.

Interested to hear your findings.

I really like it. I found the Rega DAC fatiguing and the NAD missing some music information. The Beresfordis a steal @ $260.00. It's just musical.

I had a Rotel RCD-1072 which I would describe as a cold sounding unit. It was originally paired with Audioquest King Cobra cabling and even after burn in, the player made every CD sound like early-generation 1980s -- thin, hard, edgy, sterile. I then upgraded the interconnects to Acoustic Zen Matrix Reference and it was a stunning revelation -- everything became so much smoother and easy on the ears. The Rotel cd player was listenable and I was able to live with it for a while.

I haven't heard the RDD-1580 but I would imagine it should have similar characteristics to their CD players. If it doesn't suit your tastes, you can always try experimenting with different interconnects to help things out a bit.

Back
Top Bottom