Rotel RX-855? Yeah or near?

Fuzzbuster

Addicted Member
Hi everyone...Fuzz here. I'm considering a Rotel RX-855 mainly for an inexpensive entry into the MC world. I just wondered... how's the rest of the amp? The specs look good: low THD and a damping factor of 280 according to Hifiengine. Decent frequency response range of 20 Hz to 30Mhz. Anyone have experience with one?

Greetings; Apparent good phono stages and specs like you surmise so depending on actual usage and age and intended use.. I'd test it out before hand or have guarantee of money back online. If used heavy probably looking at some caps. Line out suggests studio grade speakers (100db or higher) and they would help bump actual output @ rated 50w per. Didn't read the sm or user man.

Plenty of Q response in this search:.
https://www.google.com/search?sourc......0...1..64.psy-ab..0.1.294....0.uw6dHQi44uw

Dd you get the Rotel? I bought one a few years ago - to get into the MC world after scoring Linn ASAK for $50.
Unfortunately, mine farted a low C (64.5 Hz) every minute or so. Soft, but still annoying. Not sure whatis causing it. And the phono stage only goes to 20kHz - the 20-30kHz spec is for the rest of the amplifier sections.
Still, it's a true dual mono design, with bridging capabilities,so if you got it for cheap, good on ya!

Reviving an old thread here but i got one of these Rotel rx-855 amps today. Very impressive heavy build with the two power transformers. Hooked it up and very impressive detailed non fatiguung sound and tuner can really pull stations. Love the look of it as well. compared to my luxman r-113 it has less bass by but clearer top end and compared to my Denon dra-55v it sounds like it has a but more bass but slightly less mids so it's somewhere between the Denon and Luxman when comparing to my other slim black metal face receivers. Very nice sounding overall.

My turn to revive this thread. I had gifted this receiver to a close friend who used it for 10 years. Gave it back to me as it didn't work anymore and he got himself another one. The pre-out/main-in jumpers were missing. a very nicely built receiver. @Binkman I just saw your link and the Times article mentions using an RB-850 power amp bridged with the receiver powering one channel bridged providing 150 watts/ch.

The RX-855 is also very well built. Like a big slab of metal. Very nice.
Back home visiting my 84-year-old father and listening to his RX-855 as I write this. It's the amp I grew up with in the family house. It's as amazing as I remember it. Crystal clear, punchy, powerful, I'm blown away how well it's held up. And I forgot about all the bells and whistles on this thing: pre outs, moving coil phono stage, can handle speaker loads 4-16 ohms...my feeling is this receiver will soon be flying above the radar among vintage enthusiasts...definitely keeping this one in the family.

Back home visiting my 84-year-old father and listening to his RX-855 as I write this. It's the amp I grew up with in the family house. It's as amazing as I remember it. Crystal clear, punchy, powerful, I'm blown away how well it's held up. And I forgot about all the bells and whistles on this thing: pre outs, moving coil phono stage, can handle speaker loads 4-16 ohms...my feeling is this receiver will soon be flying above the radar among vintage enthusiasts...definitely keeping this one in the family.

Can't see myself selling mine anytime soon. Super clear sound. Works best with warmer sounding speakers.

I like this one! Not the last word on stereo imaging. Truth told that aspect is not good. BUT it's very punchy, eager and confident. This is an amp that's here to step up and do the work, and it hasn't broken a sweat yet. A super clear amp that sorts out every instrument very well. Good tuner too. If you were to find the seperate power amplifier they marketed to go with this (RB-850) you'd be in great shape. I have it working with a Yamaha WXC-50 pre and Boston Acoustics VR1 (yeah I know but I sorted them out with some Morel 448 tweeters).

Back
Top Bottom