Rotel score!

anytune

Folks, this is a confession -- I stole something from a local thrift: For a modest $20 donation, a Rotel RB-971 power amp. :banana: I'm feeling such guilt and shame, but somehow I believe I will get over it.
That said, I could use the guidance of the AK Nation. I do not have a separate dedicated preamp. Was thinking of using my Sony STR DE-425 receiver with the Rotel, but the Sony does not have preouts. If I connect its speaker terminal outputs to the Rotel's RCA inputs, and don't crank it too high, am I going to fry something? If so, is there a way to disable or bypass the Sony's amp section? Your advice is appreciated.
This amp can also be run in bridged mono. Is this a better option? If so, how do I proceed?

Last edited:
That's a great score! 70 watts/ch in stereo and you can run it bridged.

I would not connect speaker out from a receiver to the input of an amp. The impedence mismatch could be problematic.

You could look around for an old receiver that has pre outs. I bought an old Pioneer SX-990 for $5 that works great as a preamp. My old Sony STR-6046A makes a great preamp as well.

Congrats, that´s a great score. In europe you won´t find one at anything near that price.:thmbsp:

I own the model up in the line, the RB-981, 120 watts / channel of tight, sweet, contolled power driving the lower end of my speakers.

Don´t plug the speaker outputs of any receiver / amp into the RCA jacks on your Rotel. Not only there will be a terrible impedance mismatch, as outlined by Bucleboy, but you will also run your amp into overload causing terrible distortion, and possibly great damage.

thanks!

Thank you for your quick responses. I had a feeling connecting the two wasn't a good idea. Looks like I'm on the hunt for a good preamp -- but then, that's the fun of this hobby/obsession, isn't it? :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom