Rotel thoughts?

JeffCov

Besides making a might tasty dip, is there a general consensus on Rotel? I recently found a Rotel RX-400A for $20 so I figured, what the heck? I have been swapping my receivers around recently and started using this one last night. I went from a Marantz 2245 to a Pioneer SX680 and now to the Rotel. I haven't really had much time with it yet, but I was wondering...how is the Rotel line in comparison to some of the others? I guess I am asking if they are looked at by people like some "good named" or are they a lower more "value" manufacturer? I like it pretty good so far, just curious. As you can probably guess, I am still kinda new to older gear and basically wondering what I got here.
I also bought a Sansui 3500 pictured below. That one is getting auditioned next. Sorry about picture quality, I had to take with my phone.

JeffCov

Attachments

• 0526111710.jpg
    0526111710.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 195
  • 0526111721.jpg
    0526111721.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
I just sold one of those, and kinda sorry I did(believe it or not, sold at the same time as a Pio SX-680). I thought that was a very nice sounding, solidly built little early 70s love. Sounded on par with my smaller Sansuis, which is very nice to my ears. I would def put it on the low end of high end.

General consensus on the RSP-976 I have is it sounds great! Its a 5 channel pre but I only use it for 2 in my main system.Also have the Rotel phono pre stage-sounds great to me also.
Rotel=good stuff to me!

Ra-812

I have an RA-812 integrated. I tried replacing it with a much higher powered SAE, a Technics SU-8600, several receivers and it has remained.
While not ultra powerful it has a very nice level of detail, a great phono section with capacitance and resistance loading choices, and beautiful meters!
It's not part of a multi thousand dollar system but it is well built, well designed, and suits my system just fine.

I am a fan of Rotel equipment and think they give great bang for the buck. They are considered to be "Entry Level" audiophile equipment. I own a Rotel RA-1070 integrated amp which compared favorably to the Sony ES 500 Int amp that it replaced. I also own a Rotel RCD-1072 cd player as well as a RCC-1055 multi disc carousel cdp. Both a very good players which produce good soundstages and have excellent build quality.
I think you will be happy with your receiver, I can recommend Rotel without hesitation for someone looking to step up in quality from readily available gear without breaking the bank. :music:

I appreciate the responses so far and it seems like $20 was a pretty good buy.
Another reason that I am asking is a very good friend of mine is graduating with her Masters degree next month (historic preservation degree from Savannah College of Art & Design-SCAD) and I was gonna give her a few pieces of stereo equipment. I told her what I was going to do for her and asked if she wanted anything specific. Lucky for me, she is really excited and she has really low expectations. Her only request was that she wanted something "cool", so I should not have a problem living up to her expectations!

I was trying to decide which receiver to give her and now I am even more torn! I will more than likely wind up giving her the Rotel (which my selfish side now wants even more!) as her receiver. I was trying to decide between the following:
Rotel RX-400A
Pioneer SX-535
Pioneer SX-636
I also have a SX-680, a Sansui 3500, and a Marantz 2245 but I don't think I am quite ready to give those away yet.
Man, I hope she doesn't decide to go back for a doctorate!

Since you have two Pioneers I would give her one of those. That way you can check out your preferences at your leisure. If you feel guilty give her the better Pioneer and earn some AudioKarma! Although I'm sure she will be happy with whatever you decide to give her.

I'd rank Rotel with the likes of Cambridge Audio and NAD....entry level to the high end, just enough to give you a little taste of what high end audio is all about

Last edited:
Sx-535

I would give her the 535. I use one in my office rig and for background or non critical listening I have to say I love the sound. Always was a Pioneer guy in a way and this is very typical of their work.
It does not have a lot of power but it has just enough controls and features to make a great starter for her. Just might get het into the world of great sound without overwhelming at the same time.
Tuner works great in an area chock full of signals and the phono stage is decent too. And it is a looker!

jengland- i think you are on to something. Sometimes the obvious answer is right in front of me and I seem to ignore it. It really would make more sense to give her a Pioneer. It will be a "win-win" situation. I get to keep a different receiver and she will be genuinely happy. I think she will soon be the proud new owner of a Pioneer SX-535 (or maybe the 636...that will be a game-time decision) and I will get to keep the Rotel.
That is another reason that I love this site. It helps me make up my mind!

rotel made some nice amps tuners and turntables and even a very good phono stage...
their RT 1024 tuner is definitely in the high end territory and their ra 1412 amp is simply a brute..it will drive a nail!

Last edited:
Quick update if anyone cares. I decided that I am actually going to give her the Pioneer SX-680. I showed her pictures of the 535 and the 680 and she said that was the one that she liked the best. I told her that in my opinion she made a pretty good choice.
Thanks for the advice!

JeffCov

We've got an RX-403 that came from bobaloniny's place (hope you're not sad that one's gone too, Ken). It sounds very nice and I like it's simplicity and looks. It's currently in my son's room and every so often I've switched another receiver into his system and after a couple of week's time I've asked him if he'd rather have the replacement receiver or the Rotel back; he always picks the Rotel. My son (11 yrs old) tells me it's because he likes its sound better. These receivers include a comparable H/K 330c, Mitsubishi, and a few others. The only one he wanted to keep (but that wasn't an option), is my shop receiver, a Yamaha CR-640.

Back to the original OP's situation with the gifting of the receiver: I hope your friend really enjoys her new receiver thanks to your generosity!

Last edited:
The Rotel RX-400A is actually a rebranded Harman Kardon 330A or 330B. Or the other way around. So, very nice, vintage, cap-coupled solid state 20wpc receiver.

Didn't Rotel produce a few highly regarded single disc CDP'S years ago? I seem to remember reading something about them. But then I'm old and forget things.

Didn't Rotel produce a few highly regarded single disc CDP'S years ago? I seem to remember reading something about them. But then I'm old and forget things.

At the time Rotel used a highly regarded Philips Transport/Tray mechanism in their upper tier CDPs

At the time Rotel used a highly regarded Philips Transport/Tray mechanism in their upper tier CDPs
Thanks, that jarred my memory. I worked with someone in the 90's that was gathering up all the tube gear he could find to sell and ship to Japan. I remember him being big on Rotel decks.

Back
Top Bottom