Rouge Audio Ares Magum....or Manley Chinook preamp?

garpt

"Analog is BACK!"
Hi all,
I am shopping for a "next level" phono stage, have upgraded pretty much all my other components. Since a phono stage may be very system dependent IMHO, I want to list the other gear in the chain:

* Michell Gyro TT w/ Dynavector 20x2 Low output.
* Various cheaper phono stages at this time.
* Primaluna Dialogue Premium line stage.
* McIntosh MC452 SS 450/ch. Amp
* Morrow SP6 and/ or DH Labs Q10 speaker cables
* (Two) Martin- Logan subs, 10" Dynamo
* Complete rebuild- B&W Matrix 802 S3 ( all new/ NOS parts) - upgraded crossovers match stock curves

The main concern is matching a phono stage that will not bring out the occasionally ugly midrange blare that can be produced from the B&W Matrix 802's without careful component picks. I am currently looking at the two preamps in my title. Of course, both have tube output, I am looking for some warmth, and that is why I chose some of my other components. Rogue has a small but passionate base of fans, I think their amps are fantastic values, hard to find much on their tube phono stages. The Manley is of course is a hot model right now, a "crowd favorite" in many circles in this price range, but I've been burnt before by "crowd favorites". Some just want to justify that they have a certain "hot" model that they review with rose- colored glasses.
I've narrowed it to those two; if there is something I'm missing under $3K, recommendations welcome. But I'm especially interested in folks that have some hands on with both.
Thanks- Gary

Last edited:
Interesting-- Actually I never was a Mac person, not that I didn't think they were well made, powerful, and (depending on which side of the debate), very nice sounding. I simply got a few month old MC452 , perfect, for half retail. I didn't ask questions. It had its original box, manuals, etc., and he had a sales receipt, so I just figure he desperately needed money.

Considerations: The MP100 is new, it's McIntosh's first single- box phono stage, it's solid state (I'm not totally opposed to that, just thinking tubes might warm up the upper mid bump in the B&W's, or at least "air it out"), it has the USB rip thing going on which I'm paying for but don't need, and I did read one less than excellent review on it. Mamrak, do you own one or have you heard it?

The Chinook is a very good phono stage, but the Steelhead is a far better one from Manley. For $3K, you might be able to find a used Steelhead and be head and shoulders above the "crowd".

Back
Top Bottom