RS-1354s finally done!!!

Hello Mike, The drivers are Radio Shacks 1354s and the gray stuff on the speaker frame is some what like blue tack but you can get this stuff cheap at Lowes or Homedepot and its in the electrial dept. It comes in a big block wrapped in clear plastic wrap... The stuff that is on the magnet is a damping material that I had laying around...

Looks a bit like rope caulk you use to seal the drivers when you reinstall them in a cabinet.

Mike

Exceuse my ignorance (or lack of memory)... are those mass loaded TQWT's a la Bob Brines? Do you like the sound?

Did you happen to try the drivers without damping? I am curious as to what audible differences it made, as the 1354's in my TQWT's are utterly unmodified.

One last question: did you build a BSC filter? If so, what sort of choke and resistance values did you end up using?

Oh, BTW, your cabinets are VERY nice looking!

Those look great. I've got RS 40-1197s in PVC periscopes. They don't do everything well, but what they do well, they do very well.

Are those mass loaded TQWT's a la Bob Brines? Do you like the sound?

Yes sir they are TQWT's a la Bob Brines and it was your speakers that first caught my eye for the project. I used .5 MDF and I like the sound but the highs are a little harsh at times… I will do the cotton ball mod to the whizzer as that appears to help a little. I got this mod from the Lowther page. Info below

Without going into the technical mumbo-jumbo, one of the things that occurs with the old style Lowther cones is that the whizzer resonated at about 2 KHz, creating what many referred to as the Lowther shout. This has been addressed by the new cone design, but since few of you have the new cone design, lets talk about what can be done.
The easiest thing to do is to turn the drivers so that they face 15 to 20 degrees away from your listening position.
I personally tried and liked the effect of Marc Wauters 98 cent fix. This consists of placing a lightweight piece of foam between the outer edge of the whizzer and the middle of the main cone. As a result, it drastically reduced the resonance peak of the whizzer. I strongly suggest you visit Marc's web page to catch the detail on this.
Another approach is to take 2 cotton balls for each driver. Pull them out, and then twist lightly so that you get a 2 or 3 inch long cylinder. Then place this between the whizzer and main cone. It is not as effective as the Marc Wauters fix, but does create a noticeable drop in the upper midrange peak.
You can purchase the new style phase plug without upgrading the cone. It does make the highs very directional, so that you must listen with the speakers aimed directly in line with your ears.

Did you happen to try the drivers without damping?

Yes I did and it appears to give it a tighter feel in the lower mid rang area. It allows the speaker to give a little more pronounce pouch.. If that makes any scenes. :dunno:
I always add damping if the speaker frame is cheap or weak.. It cant hurt right?

One last question: did you build a BSC filter?

No I did not but now that I know about it I my have to try it. :)

Oh, BTW, your cabinets are VERY nice looking!

Thank you very much! :D They are not as red as they look in the photo and they are more burgundy than red. I applied 5 coats of paint and with very coat I ran over it with a wire roller which gives it a nice texture look.

Last edited:
I've never tried speaker damping like that, very interesting idea, could help dampen some of the resonance of a specific frequency the metal might try to vibrate at. I think I'll get some clay or plumbers putty or whatever you used and try it out.

Its in the electrical dept at Homedepot and it comes in a gray block that measure around 2x2x6 and its just like Blue Tack.. Maybe a little stickier and much cheaper…

The impact on the sound of the damping that you describe fits Newton's Laws, I'd say (that action/reaction thing). :)

Not sure if BSC is a good idea or a bad one... I'm using mine au naturel

Surprised to hear that you found the HF a bit harsh... I think that the 1354's are the best of the classic :) R/S bunch in terms of well behaved MR/HF. Maybe my impression's different than yours due to the difference in amplification.

The "98-cent tweak" is easy, cheap, and readily reversible. I've done it to other cheap drivers with whizzers (no Lowthers at Casa Hardy) but I don't recall trying it on the 1354's.

The only time I get the so called finger nail across the chalk board feeling is during hard core female vocals… I can agree with you that it may be the amp and I think the CD player may play roll as well... I plan on hooking them up to my main system and that mite change things a little… I will post my results.

On the other hand they may not be broken in yet??? I may only have 40 or 50 hrs on them...:dunno:

Are those a pair of Altec Model 14 clones in the picture?

No, actually I pulled the drivers out of a pair of old Magnavox horn speakers and put them in my own design. I should have known that I was not smart enough to come up with the idea all on my own and therefore I must had seen a photo of the Altec model 14s in the past… :screwy:

Back
Top Bottom