RS-2B, searching for info.

Infinity nutcase.
I've been googling every which way to get as much information as I can, just not much out there past casual conversations and buy, don't buy stuff.

Has anyone ever seen what the Original Speaker jumpers looked like ? It had to be specifically for these on the outside.

Also, the bass controller. I downloaded the specs from Bobby Shreds page. It states that the power supply is 110-14V. So is it safe to say any power supply will work as long as the plug going into the box is 14 volts ?

As always Thank You for helping out.

I unboxed a brand new pair a long time ago, when I worked at Best Buy, believe it or not. They were like refrigerator boxes and they had shock sensors on them. I remember it vividly, loved those speakers. Anyway, they were simply banana shorting plugs that looked like this. What you can't see on the left side are female banana jacks, so you could plug them into each other. So we had those in vertically, then a similar looking plug that wasn't shorting horizontally plugged into the shorting plugs for the cables. Do a search for banana shorting plug and you'll find a lot of options.
images

Well damn AZdean, how cool is that ! I don't know why but I envisioned something much more elaborate..LOL. So Thank you for sharing that :beerchug:.

That was a huge help, this controller box power supply sure is a mystery.

IMG_0894.jpg
This is from the owners manual, very interesting picture. AZDean, you were spot on ! And there's a little more to it, those straps that made that plug work. I wish I would have been more diligent while getting these speakers, the haul was 2 pairs of RS2B's black and oak, RS 2.5's and a parts morph RSII + some extra emims. I believe I saw those straps but didn't put the two together.

I tried to get back to this guy but someone else swooped in and bought the lot..RS1's and a bunch of other gear, if that guy happens to read this, you've got a bunch of boxes of stuff and I'd surely pay you to look thru and buy those.

Anyway I'm betting those straps were made for the short depth into the terminals, and at the same time had the proper depth for regular banana plugs making for good connections.

Sadly no, I went back a second time to load the rest up. I knew that one pair was going to Jazzman’s, as soon as I saw everything. I looked really hard but no luck. I really wanted us to each have the complete system.

If an eq comes up for a fair price, I'll grab it, but my RS are in my fully balanced system, wiring in the eq will break the balanced chain, theoretically allowing noise/distortion/hum into the system, so I'm really not in a hurry by any stretch.
For now, the bass is great, and augmented by my JL audio fathom and M&K push/pull dual 12" I have no dearth of bass in my house.

If an eq comes up for a fair price, I'll grab it, but my RS are in my fully balanced system, wiring in the eq will break the balanced chain, theoretically allowing noise/distortion/hum into the system, so I'm really not in a hurry by any stretch.
For now, the bass is great, and augmented by my JL audio fathom and M&K push/pull dual 12" I have no dearth of bass in my house.

It will be much better with the bass contour box. It brought my RSIIas into a new realm. I found one on Ebay in perfect condition for $200. Just keep searching...

Bass Contour.jpg

Oh no, I have one. The power supply frankly is pissing me off. Apparently there's more than one type to the box. I was trying to find the second one for Jazzman's pair. I got 2 pairs of the 2B's but only one box and 0 power cords.

Oh no, I have one. The power supply frankly is pissing me off. Apparently there's more than one type to the box. I was trying to find the second one for Jazzman's pair. I got 2 pairs of the 2B's but only one box and 0 power cords.
Yes. Some have an internal power supply, and mine is this external piece. I think the early ones have gold knobs, mine are black.

Yes. Some have an internal power supply, and mine is this external piece. I think the early ones have gold knobs, mine are black.
There's also a version with brushed aluminum knobs. I have two RS-IIb low-frequency equalizers, one with black knobs and one with brushed aluminum knobs. Both of mine use the wall-wart power supply.

Mine is the all black version.
IMG_2242.JPG IMG_2243.JPG
Jim was kind enough to send me pics of his power supply, went on eBay and found one with the same model number, it gets here yesterday and doesn't fit over the damn pin. I'm heading to the flea market in a few, there's a lady that has 2 tables of power supplies, hopefully I can pick one there.

Infinity inconsistency example..

Jazzman's pair of 2B's, All of the drivers are soldered connections, and his were put together with Phillips head screws, my pair, no drivers were soldered connections. And mine were put together with hex head screws.

SUCCESS.....! I found a unit that fit the plug on the box, so I cut the one ordered from eBay...... ( Thanks Jim) and spliced in a the plug from the flea market. It's alive :thumbsup:

Last edited:
That plug is different than mine. Glad you got yours working. For the record my speakers have the push on connectors with no solder and say “wired with monster cable” on the back. Hex head screws mounted drivers.

Yeah it's kinda wierd, like the emit-k post why infinity did what they did, constant upgrading maybe.

At least now maybe I can give them a fair shake testing in my place. Unlike most (exception QLS-1) the 2B's aren't doing much for me. It's like they lie somewhere between the 2.5 and Ren 90's.

With the box working now I'm excited to get them going again.

The rsIIb and 2.5 are pretty different. IMHO 2.5 (and most likely the 4.5 which I never had the pleasure..)are speakers whose parents are away for the weekend. Slightly Extended highs, tight extenuated bass, kick ass speakers that temp you to push them to their limits. The IIb on the other hand are more like speakers for “grownups”. Little bit darker and more true to the music with authoritive bass when called upon. If I had to choose between them I probably keep the IIb. First reason is I have more money in them than I should and 2nd is they are truer to the music so far as I can tell. Don’t think I’ll part with either one any time soon.

Keep running those IIbs maybe you’ll warm up to them. Sometimes wish they employed the 2.5’s Watkins woofer in the IIb. No need for the eq and very good bass, maybe not as low but in a smallish room it’s almost perfect.
Jim

That plug is different than mine. Glad you got yours working. For the record my speakers have the push on connectors with no solder and say “wired with monster cable” on the back. Hex head screws mounted drivers.
My IIb's are like yours, with a sticker on the back of each lower EMIT that reads "Internally Wired with Monster Cable."

I don't have the sticker but it sounds like the 3 of us have the same type, my wiring.
IMG_2252.JPG

Interesting day for me, I do have the sticker on the rear top emit cover....duh....LOL. I'm repairing damage on the bottom corners of each cabinet. Today the first one is completed and I was prepping for stain, acetone to the original black which I thought was stain, it's not.

It's Fricking oil based paint and comes right off.

Back
Top Bottom