RS-6001 Re-foam issues....help!

Thanks

Yes to the unwanted resonances. These are nice garage, work-room speakers. They try too hard on bass, and if you apply too much power, they start to get muddy even after bracing, but very nice, clean, mids and highs, you'll get to appreciate those Polycell tweeters.

my 2 cents
stu

They will be going into a spare/guest bedroom where ( since we converted the garage into the HDTV room and I have no decent "workroom") I have set up a nice old fold out table a few task lights and have converted it to a workroom. For the investment these speakers have already paid off and I have not even played them yet. Your suggestion or comment about bracing got me to looking into what that would do, and that led me to reading many interesting perspectives and opinions concerning speaker designs, sound waves and frequencies and in particular the difficulty is reproducing accurate sound (not just loud booms and crashes) in the lower ranges. So now I am on the lookout for something with a 10 or 12 inch Woofer and a Horn Midrange/Tweeter , maybe some studio monitors.........this audio thing is addictive!

A little more information.

I have read a few threads talking about the adhesives that are used on various infinity cone materials, and how to remove the old glue residue from them. In the materials sent from the seller of my new foam surrounds these SS-2005 Sterling-Infinity's use a "special adhesive" not the white glue Aleens or Elmers &c. the glue that I removed from these cones which are injection molded graphite, was black and tarry. The kit I received came with an adhesive that is "grey but dries black" and is according to the instructions " used for all synthetic cones, dust caps,gaskets and minor cone repair."

They also recommend laquer thinner as the solvent to remove the old adhesive from the frame and cones. They advise not to use paint thinner.

I used goof off or goo gone and it came off of mine.

My surrounds and adhesive came from speakerworldonline.com and they list a special adhesive is required and provided on many infinity cone materials. I am not sure if all suppliers of refoam kits supply this "special adhesive."

FYI.

Brother.. Fear was my issue more than any other. the foam replacements are so cheap. if I had just went ahead and done the job. Truth is there are many ways to "skin a cat". I would no more worry about whether I had exact gaskets or not. Fact is the fun is in the doing and hearing afterward ! I use 91% rubbing alcohol and goof off as well. Using the alcohol to clean off the surfaces I used the goof off on afterward. Gluing the replacement foam directly to the metal basket is it way I do it. I also use feel to "center" the V.C. I am sure that there are better ways however I have had no issues doing it this way whatsoever. I would check the V.C. with a meter before wasting time on a blown "open circuit" woofer as well. Just did a pair of Advent 8" last night..Paper cones..I glued to the bottom of the paper cone as the glue/silicon or whatever that was on top did not want to come off enough for the "new" glue to hold. whatever..No big deal they sound awesome and I did it myself without going broke! BTW my Polk woofers are 6 ohm but do not read fully 6 on my meter as far as I have seen none of my woofers read exactly the ohms rated. I.E. my CV 15's read 3.6 ohm but are 4 ohm woofers/drivers. As long as they do not read infinite/open or read too far apart from each other run it . Anyways that is just what I do. Not to correct anyone..Preach to anyone..Teach anyone here..Just my way of doing it...Best regards and enjoy those Polk audio speakers. I love Polk !

Cheap foam surround replacements

Brother.. Fear was my issue more than any other. the foam replacements are so cheap. if I had just went ahead and done the job. Truth is there are many ways to "skin a cat". I would no more worry about whether I had exact gaskets or not. Fact is the fun is in the doing and hearing afterward ! I use 91% rubbing alcohol and goof off as well. Using the alcohol to clean off the surfaces I used the goof off on afterward. Gluing the replacement foam directly to the metal basket is it way I do it. I also use feel to "center" the V.C. I am sure that there are better ways however I have had no issues doing it this way whatsoever. I would check the V.C. with a meter before wasting time on a blown "open circuit" woofer as well. Just did a pair of Advent 8" last night..Paper cones..I glued to the bottom of the paper cone as the glue/silicon or whatever that was on top did not want to come off enough for the "new" glue to hold. whatever..No big deal they sound awesome and I did it myself without going broke! BTW my Polk woofers are 6 ohm but do not read fully 6 on my meter as far as I have seen none of my woofers read exactly the ohms rated. I.E. my CV 15's read 3.6 ohm but are 4 ohm woofers/drivers. As long as they do not read infinite/open or read too far apart from each other run it . Anyways that is just what I do. Not to correct anyone..Preach to anyone..Teach anyone here..Just my way of doing it...Best regards and enjoy those Polk audio speakers. I love Polk !

Are you saying that the foam is "cheap" as in inexpensive or "cheap" as in poor quality? The first impression I had was that these things are awfully thin. I suppose that there are certain specifications to these things and it would be interesting to see if all offerings from the various suppliers are of equal...."cost and quality." I would imagine that for my application however I will get my money's worth. Should be fun to hear these playing and I should get a certain level of enjoyment in bringing these things back from the dead and keeping them out of the landfill.

Finis!

After a few detours I finally got back on the speaker project and knocked it out.
I added the additional bracing with the closet rod, I used rod hangers however and glued and screwed them from the inside. Nice and tight, covered it with some foam covers used on plumbing pipe. I added just a bit more polyfil but not much and put in the woofers and mid-ranges and fired them up. I was surprised how good they sounded.They are definitely LOUD SPEAKERS. I have been playing various classical CD's on them through the Pioneer SX-780.The bass is so far under control, no boominess but I have not had them up over 3 on the volume and still they are loud. They capture the lows fairly nicely (mine have the rear firing ports) I just love the sound of Cello's on a Friday afternoon. I then played the Oasis What's the story Morning Glory disc. Such fun.

I'm not perfectly sure which was the case. I cut or otherwise removed the old foam and then had to figure out how to remove the trim ring. That was a chore itself actually as it was -really- glued down tight. So once the trim was removed it was such a gluey, gooey mess that I don't know for sure if the I was seeing surround remnant, glue, gasket or some unholy combination. Barring quick intervention, I'm going to do without the gasket and just glue to metal and put trim ring on top and hope for the best. I suppose since the trim ring was glued to the gasket, I should glue the trim ring to the top side of the gasket?
I am hoping you are still active I know this is way past the life of such a post but how did you get the dang trim ring off I can't for the life of me

use hair dryer, get them pretty hot, which softens the glue, work something small in the back, and start prying, be careful near the screw holes, you may split them.
this is the way most of the later Infinity's have to be done.

Stu

Back
Top Bottom