RS II Lab Test article w/ full measurements

if you get a stand alone preamp sound will be even better

I ended up getting Emotiva SA-250 (rated at 400 wpc at 4 Ohm). Thus far I have been very happy, definite improvement over my previous Onkyo A9070 (that now acts as a pre-amp). The bass response is tighter and much improved even at low volume levels. There is no sign of stress at any volume level, indicating good headroom...

More thoughts here:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=8342216#post8342216

for awhile I used the preamp out on my Yamaha cr-1020 with my Acurus a250 power amp 250 watt @ 8 ohms, 350 @ 4 ohms, (same rating as your amp) I then added a yamaha cx-2 preamp., got rid of receiver use as preamp. Sound was even better!! much better sound stage.

for awhile I used the preamp out on my Yamaha cr-1020 with my Acurus a250 power amp 250 watt @ 8 ohms, 350 @ 4 ohms, (same rating as your amp) I then added a yamaha cx-2 preamp., got rid of receiver use as preamp. Sound was even better!! much better sound stage.

Thanks. That's indeed the next step, get a proper pre-amp and move the Onkyo 9070 integrated to HT duty, driving the RS-IIIa's in the front. But I need to let things cool off a bit before getting a pre-amp, I am already pushing a bit too much pressure on the WAF index :)

Thanks. That's indeed the next step, get a proper pre-amp and move the Onkyo 9070 integrated to HT duty, driving the RS-IIIa's in the front. But I need to let things cool off a bit before getting a pre-amp, I am already pushing a bit too much pressure on the WAF index :)

Looks like you are in good shape. I use an Aragon 4004 MKii on all of my Infinities. It is an extremely accurate amp (a step up from Acurus). The preamp is somewhat flat; that is zero coloration. A little tame for my liking. I am looking at the Dared SL-2000 preamp or a preamp from tubes4hifi. I threw a very cheap tube preamp on it and it made a huge difference in warmth. While some feel the tube/SS combination is not wise, my experience has been extremely positive and I am looking forward to pulling the trigger on a quality tube preamp. Just a thought you may want to consider.

Good luck and congratulations thus far! Very nice score on that set!

I just brought home a pair of RS-IIs and the seller (who bought them new in ~1981) happened to have two documents I have not seen anywhere in the Interwebs: A Lab Test published in some Canadian Buyer's Guide, and A Preliminary Spec Sheet for RS-II. I assume the Lab Test is not well known since it seems to be Canadian publication.

The Lab Test article is in particular quite interesting, a multi-page review article w/ full measurements including sensitivity, and full impedance curve. The Infinity RS-II sensitivity is 85.6 db at 1W power at 1m. The impedance varies between 2 and 8 Ohm, dropping down to 3 Ohm around 200 Hz, then climbs up to 8 Ohm at 1 kHz, then dropping down to 2 Ohm at around 6 kHz, and staying between 2 and 3 Ohm from there up to 20 kHz. The author writes that these speakers should be considered as 3 Ohm speakers (and not 4 Ohm as per Infinity's official specs).

So based on the above it indeed looks like these speakers need gobs of clean current power at low impedance loads down to 2 Ohm (the seller originally had a high end Perreaux amp feeding these speakers clean 400 W at 4 Ohms!, but I unfortunately did not have a chance to hear that combo). And the need for plenty power is amplified even more by the very low sensitivity/efficiency of these speakers, meaning that one has to crank up the volume more than usual for the same perceived loudness. I have already noticed this w/ my new RS-II's in comparison to RS-IIIa's, where RS-IIIa's are clearly much louder at the same volume setting.

Here's the lab test part 1:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=549312&stc=1&d=1414368695

Lab test part 2:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=549313&stc=1&d=1414368695

I had to split the above in parts due to file size limitations here on AK.

Preliminary spec sheet:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=549314&stc=1&d=1414368695

Anyways, hopefully some of you find these useful. I was _very_ excited to find the Lab Test article.

Bump.
Thanks for posting this info Seppo.

I purchased my RSIIs new in 1981, and they have been my primary speakers for the last 36 years....and counting. 5 years ago, concerned that I might be missing out due to many years of potential technology improvements, I auditioned a set of Definitive Technology speakers (8060s I think). Due to my long and intimate relationship with my RSIIs and maybe something to do with dogs and tricks of various ages, I returned the DefTechs. Now, with fresh FOMO, I'm auditioning a set of GoldenEar Triton 2+ speakers. The sound is very different from the RSIIs, but jury's out on whether or not I'll switch. It would be very hard to part with the RSIIs after all these years. BTW, I had all 4 woofers' foam surrounds replaced (reconed?) about 5 years ago. The midrange drivers, with the original rubber surrounds, as well as the EMITs, appear and sound as good as new.
I've driven the Infinitys with various receivers over the years, and never had any problems with the notorious power requirements or low impedance concerns. I can only recall a receiver shutting down 2 or 3 times. My current AVR is a Denon AVRX4000, which is fine. I don't listen at very high volumes, except the odd move scene where stuff blows up.
Just sayin....

Attachments

• IMG_20171207_110555.jpg
    IMG_20171207_110555.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 39
...and many thanks Seppo for posting the review. Anyone know what magazine the review it's from? I suspect it may be Canadian, as the quoted price is what they retailed for in Canada.

...and many thanks Seppo for posting the review. Anyone know what magazine the review it's from? I suspect it may be Canadian, as the quoted price is what they retailed for in Canada.

All I know is the "Speaker Buying Guide" title at the bottom. The original owner (from Toronto area) had ripped these particular pages from the publication.

Those Goldenear are a completely different animal. Built in amp, bass below 20htz, and much more efficient. Let us know what you think.

METRO 77
if you really want to upgrade your system , after all these years and you are happy with what you have. FORGET getting new speakers, get new amp/preamp to replace your receiver. In 1997 I replaced my Yamaha Cr1020 with a yamaha preamp. CX_2 and an Acurus A250. Sound stage and bass improved dramatically !! . But after all these years you have gotten so used to what you have, you are better off doing nothing

Probably good advice, Jygesq. I'm good at doing nothing, so that's likely. I've been watching the "classifieds" for interesting amps.

Back
Top Bottom