RS4b paper layer under foam surround..? Help!

ksweezy

AE2691C9-F787-4B36-B248-7A8AAA067023.jpeg 4FFDD7BF-C07C-4F84-A3E0-6E5A82E671E5.jpeg So.. I’m refoaming a set of rs4bs, and I have encountered a 1/16” paper riser that lives under the original foam. I have reconed speakers before, but never encountered this. In the past, I had been advised to scrape down to the raw metal of the frame so you have a clean, solid surface to glue to. I just decided to remove the paper riser on this first driver and continue as normal. Now I have glued the new surround to the cone and Lo and behold, the outer edge is 1/16” above the metal frame.

Has anybody else experienced this? Should I leave it and glue to it, or....?

I can’t find any mention of it anywhere, but maybe I’m using the wrong search words.

Attached are some images of the paper riser still attached.

View attachment 1203413 View attachment 1203414 So.. I’m refoaming a set of rs4bs, and I have encountered a 1/16” paper riser that lives under the original foam. I have reconed speakers before, but never encountered this. In the past, I had been advised to scrape down to the raw metal of the frame so you have a clean, solid surface to glue to. I just decided to remove the paper riser on this first driver and continue as normal. Now I have glued the new surround to the cone and Lo and behold, the outer edge is 1/16” above the metal frame.

Has anybody else experienced this? Should I leave it and glue to it, or....?

I can’t find any mention of it anywhere, but maybe I’m using the wrong search words.

Attached are some images of the paper riser still attached.
There were no images.....

Did u click their hyperlink? There are images on my computer..
Sorry man, there are no images....also, no link....Is there a way to test-fit the surround to make sure the voice coil does not bottom out inside the pole cavity? If it doesn't, then it should be okay...

Really hard to tell. Best bet would be to tack-on the surround somehow and make sure the voice coil does not bottom out due to it is now 1/16" closer to the bottom of the pole cavity.

Copy that. Did you see the pictures?

I’m just curious why nobody has ever said anything about this before

FWIW, I wound up removing the paper risers and used simply speakers brand surrounds and the results are excellent! No need for compensating for the riser. Thanks for the input, @OnTheBlitz ... I did run 40hz through each throughout the process to ensure proper functionality.

FWIW, I wound up removing the paper risers and used simply speakers brand surrounds and the results are excellent! No need for compensating for the riser. Thanks for the input, @OnTheBlitz ... I did run 40hz through each throughout the process to ensure proper functionality.
Cool deal! Glad it works!

Back
Top Bottom