RSC goldenaire 12"

1ajs

Pegcity Bits
was given a pair custom built boxs with goldenaire 12's in them and some sorta tweeter them.

never herd of these before other then theyre canadian

the owner hasnt used them in yrs and wanted to clear out the garage randomly msged me tonight asking if i wanted them. are these somthing worthy of using with my pioneer spec 4 or somthing i should regift to a friend whos allways giving me free things who would prolly enjoy them?

IZ5FKj.jpg

LWr1tZ.jpg

x1lXCZ.jpg

Philips polycarb tweeter.

Boxes are scaled down Altec midbass horns. To be a balanced full range speaker they need a transducer between the tweeter and midbass driver, and i suspect low end is fundamentally non-existent. So, they'd likely need some sort of augmentation of the lower octaves in the form of separate woofer/subwoofer boxes.

I'd like to see a pic of the back of the bass driver.

Assuming it looks like this, basically the Canadian equivalent of a Utah woofer:

1120888-rsc-radio-speakers-of-canada-goldenaire-series-wr-12-pair.jpg

Those scaled down VOT cabinets are growing on me. I think the cool factor is over the top.

I would be sorely tempted to fill in the tweeter openings, actually replace those panels altogether, re-paint em, flip em over so they're right side up, and seek a pair of horns(that compliment the scale) and compression drivers to mate with them, more for novelty/conversation pieces than anything else. Although they would probably be more than adequate for some portable uses like back yard, patio, poolside bbq's and parties.

I don't expect the sound quality is going to be terribly overwhelming as that type of mid-bass horn enclosure will always exhibit a big step in the response where the horn cuts off and the bass reflex portion of the enclosure takes over. They'll have some great attributes like dramatic dynamics, great vocal projection and realism. They will be fairly sensitive. But, they will have a low end that rolls off pretty steeply, is slightly out of phase, and is several db down from what comes out of the horn portion. I'm not sure the Philips tweeters are at all compatible with them, but that really depends on how they are crossed.

Back
Top Bottom