RT-707 - No Output or Input .... well very very faint. Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Pioneer Audio' started by notropey, Jul 5, 2017.

1. notropey

notropey New Member

So I have a RT-707 that I picked up a couple of days ago, this is my 3rd so I know them well. The problem it has apart from being butchered by its previous owner is that when a tape is played on it, there is no audio out via the line out or headphone jack forward or reverse, well there is a very very faint sound. Same goes if I have an input coming from the line in and source button on. The path is clean, the heads are clean, the pots are clean and turned up. I have even adjusted the internal pots, slight increase.

I'm thinking the issue is on the Playback Amplifier Assembly RWF-069. Now as this is a very common deck I was hoping somebody out there has experienced the same issue and might be kind enough to point me in the right direction?

Oh and how the previous owner got around this issue he drilled holes through the back and directly solder rca cables to the forward head only(essentially making it a RT-701) then hooked this up to a Shure Pre-Amp then into an amp. Crazy but hilarious.

Thanks for any help

Please register to disable this ad.

2. bluescat

bluescat Active Member

Sorry, I can't help you with the problem, but his "fix" sounds like something I might do. upload_2017-7-5_11-27-33.gif

notropey likes this.
  3. keithlp

keithlp New Member

I know this post is a little old but I just came across it today. I have a RT-707 and about a year ago I had a problem that sounds similar to yours. I went from FF to Play and nothing happened. For some reason it blew the 3.15 fuse. I replaced it and all the transport functions worked but there was no sound, either on tape or source and the meters didn't move either. I ended up taking it to a shop and it was repaired. they said it was in the muting circuit. They said it had some volume but that it was very faint, I guess I didn't turn it up enough to hear it. I didn't ask for any details about the repair so all I know that it was in the muting circuit. You've maybe repaired yours by now but I thought I would post this in case someone else has the same problem.

lilwing likes this.
  4. notropey

notropey New Member

Yeah I had managed to fix it it was the Q402 Transistor that was causing these issues on the Control Assembly Board, but this fix will vary between board variations.