RT-707 problem

gearhead

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
My R2R 707 is not recording on the right channel, if it is, it's almost not even audible. Is there anything in particular on these that causes this? :worried:

gearhead said:
My R2R 707 is not recording on the right channel, if it is, it's almost not even audible. Is there anything in particular on these that causes this? :worried:

Clean the heads? Send to service center.

gearhead,

when you record do the signals on L + R VU meter respond normally ?
Is it any difference between source and tape during recording ?
Test with adjusting the signals on source first, then press tape and check what the meters shows.
Your model has several switches that are sensitive to dirt and dust.

Good Luck with your testing. :thmbsp:

Last edited:
Yes, indeed, mine did the same, the right channel record switch was dirty, some Deoxit and it's good to go.

Jim

Vintage, the right VU isn't showing the same as the left, and/or bounces around strangely. It does seem like a dirty connection, after playing around and trying different sources. butters, is the switch you're talking about up by the power switch?
Thanks for the ideas, guys.

Source. Haven't had time to clean the heads. Trying to do 10 other things, the first of which is going to be to get away from this computer!

Do the head-cleaning first and try record again.
After you adjust the signals so both L + R channel is equal, switch to tape and see if there is any difference on signal strength between the channels.
A minor change like 4-5 % is normal but if the R-channel drops down alot, there is other problems.

Take a break from AK, what is that ? :banana: :D :banana:

Yeah, the record switch is in the upper row of switches and really all of them could use a squirt of Deoxit.

I have the same Problem, with mine. The Heads are clean an everything else is working. I think i´ll try "spraying" the Record-Switches, o.k.

Yesterday I opend the RT-707 and cleaned the switches. Still Recording is not going on the left channel . In source-mode both channels work :scratch2:

Both, and also the Line-Pot ! Nothing helped. :scratch2:

Know I tryed with some microphone, the same happend. With high Level (shouting), there is some recording with distortion :scratch2:

With line recording, there is sound on the left, when you turn to position 9 or 10, but with noise. The right is good beetween 3 or 4.

Last edited:
I have an RT-707 that doesn't record on either channel...

Forgot about trying the rec/playback switch... I'll have to
give that a try... doesn't play either, but that may be the
tape (just a blank tape, not prerecorded, may be nothing
on it but not sure...).

Scott

Back
Top Bottom