RT-909 Left Channel Issue?

rs732

I searched the forums for a similar issues,but I couldn't find a thread with this exact problem. When, I plug in a source (amp>aux>dac>iPhone) the left channel is significantly lower as the source. When,I record and playback the tape the left channel is even lower. I tried a number of things such as by passing the amp and using the direct IN on the 909 with the same results. The source left channel is lower and same occurs when recording. I also tried just using an aux>iPhone with the same results.

Also,I tried recording using the same methods on my RT-707 without any issues,and when I play back the tape recorded on the 707 onto the 909 it plays fine without any problems. Both of the channels are perfectly in synch.

I had the RT-909 professionally serviced by a very reputable shop. The left channel was recording VERY low before taking it to the shop. I had the pinch rollers replaced,aligned all four heads,adjusted rec/pb levels,and cleaned & lubed mechanism.

When recording, if the Left Rec Mode Switche is pushed in & out there is some static noise.

However,I'm thinking the this might be more than just a dirty pot since this issue occurs both with the source and on recording.

Anyone experience a similar issue?

Clean, clean and clean, capstans, heads and tape path very well and demag!!. It happened to my 909 as well and It was just tape residue every where...... Hope helps.

Are you unable to compensate for the difference in level with the input level pots? And does the left channel sound OK when recording even though lower in level?

UPDATE: I unmounted the 909 from the uber heavy rack. Then,left work early the next day to drop of the unit to the repair shop,and of course the 909'was working perfectly at the shop. The tech mentioned that my cables might be bad or it was an intermittent issue. I go home and discovered that the issue was only occurring with my "fancy high end cables" Amazingly, a set of cheap generic cables worked better. however,it just dawned on me this issue was also occurring on phono and I didn't have time to double check that as well.

Back
Top Bottom