RT60 in Small and or absorptive rooms?

1audiohack

I think this could become a very exciting and informative forum. There is much to know and the tools of the trade don’t come cheap. This may be the reason there is such a vast amount of misunderstanding, misinformation and mystical lore attached to the subject that is Small Room Acoustics.

To quote Professor Doug Jones: “The acoustics of small rooms is dominated by modes, shape, and reflection management. Acousticians who build large rooms are frequently frustrated with small room design because few of the intellectual tools of the trade that work in large rooms can be applied to small rooms. Getting small rooms to sound right involves art and science. The science part is mostly straight forward. The creative part is quite subjective and a great sounding small room can be just as elusive as a great sounding concert hall.”

So what is a small room? Manfred Schroder defines them as follows; A large room for speech with a low frequency limit of 80 Hz is = to or >35,000 ft³ and a large room for wide range music with a low frequency limit of 30 Hz is = to or >250,000 ft³. Right, obviously acoustically large or small is a frequency dependant phenomenon but surely by definition most of us are working / listening in non statistical small acoustical spaces.

The question really becomes centered on the definition of reverberation. Wallace Clement Sabine who first formulated the equation to calculate reverberation time described reverberation in this way: “Reverberation results in a mass of sound filling the whole room and incapable of of analysis into its distinct reflections” Meaning, for true reverberation to exist, there needs to be a homogeneous and isotropic sound field. Usually such conditions are approached in physically large rooms that do not contain much absorption.

Unfortunately reverberation is popularly understood to be equivalent to decay. Sabine also wrote: “The word ‘resonance’ has been used loosely as synonymous with reverberation and even with echo and is so given in some of the more voluminous but less exact popular dictionaries. In scientific literature the term has received a very definite and precise application to the phenomenon where ever it may occur. A word having this significance is necessary; and it is very desirable that the term should not, even popularly, by meaning many things, cease to mean anything exactly.”

This is where we are today. Without rigorous definition and application of the concept of reverberation we are left with something that ceases to mean anything exactly. Who really cares right? Isn’t it just semantics? Prof Doug Jones: “It is generally accepted that in small rooms after approximately four to six bounces, a sound wave will have lost most of its energy to the reflecting surfaces and will become so diffuse as to be indistinguishable from the noise floor. This of course depends on the amount of absorption in the room.”

In a 12’ X 16’ X 8’ room a single wave will take less than 33 ms to bounce five times and be gone. Don Davis: “It should always be considered that, insofar as the reverberation formulas depend on the statistical averages, they presuppose a complete mixing of sound in the room. In very absorptive rooms the sound dies away in a few reflections, and the statistical basis of the formulas is weakened.”

“Spaces that qualify as “large rooms” can effectively utilize the myriad of equations based on the original assumptions of Sabine for his reverberation equations. In spaces exceeding these volumes and with an RT60 of 1.6 seconds or greater, we will find mixing homogenous sound fields of sufficient density to allow accurate engineering estimates of the level of each.”

Don Davis: “What is often overlooked in the attempted measurement of RT60 in small rooms is that the definition of RT60 has two parts, the first of which is unfortunately commonly overlooked.

1 RT60 is the measurement of the decay time of a well mixed reverberant sound field well beyond Dc, a real critical distance.

2 RT60 is the time in seconds for the reverberant sound field to decay 60 dB after the sound source is silenced.

Since in small rooms, there is no Dc, no well mixed sound field, hence, no reverberation but merely a series of early reflected energy, the measurement of RT60 becomes meaningless in such environments.

What becomes meaningful is the control of early reflections because there is no reverberation to mask them.”

Fundamental point: modal decay rates are not reverberation. Reverberation is “the time in seconds that it takes a diffuse sound field, well beyond a real critical distance, to lower in level by 60 dB when the sound source is silenced.” Modal decay rates are dB-per-second (dB/s) rate of decay for a specific modal frequency.

In the end, one place to start is to avoid the use of an equation that is nonsensical in its application.

Once more, Don Davis: “One hundred eight reflections allow a reasonable statistical sample. When small absorptive spaces such as control rooms in recording studios, small classrooms, etc., are computed the inapplicability of statistical equations becomes apparent because of the low N. Such enclosures do indeed have a finite number of reflections that are best handled by careful Envelope Time Curve (ETC) analysis and specific rather than statistical treatment of the indicated surfaces.”

Don Davis quotes from Sound System Engineering 4th Edition

Doug Jones quoted from Handbook for Sound Engineers 4th Edition

W.C. Sabine. Quoted from Collected Papers on Acoustics, Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1922

I'm damn sure not spoiling for a fight.
You won't get one from me. I'm glad you brought this topic up because it's an important consideration when committing to analyzing a room's response.

The issues you bring up with applying general methods to small room acoustics are very real. I don't think anyone will deny that. But that doesn't mean that we should do nothing, or just attach panels to primary reflection points and call it a day.

Measurements in small spaces do provide dubious results if we're looking for an ASTM E336/E1007 type of answer, especially at low frequencies. But, luckily, in a listening room we know where the point of interest is, and we know where the sound sources are. We don't need generalized, whole-room values, because we're not attempting to characterize the room as diffuse.

Taking room response measurements with the system as the source (either frequency sweep or broadband noise build-up and cut, but not impulse, obviously) and the microphone in the listening position can give us a very good idea of how the room performs for its given task. This is what RichardTejas and I did for his room and, reportedly, the results of our adjustments according to those measurements turned out very good (though I haven't had a chance to give his modified room a good listen yet).

There hasn't been too much discussion of measurement in this forum yet, but I'm sure that as time goes on it's a topic that will be explored and we will arrive, as a group, at several solutions that are within the understanding and budget of your typical AK'er.

The Sabine/Eyring equations won't be strictly accurate for "small" rooms, but that doesn't mean they aren't useful. If a person can't do a good measurement, and they don't have access to a ray-trace program like EASE, plugging in their room dimensions and surface characteristics into a simple RT60 calculator can give them a very good starting place. It allows a person to become more aware of the impact of each of the surface types in their room, and it provides guidance on the question of "how many panels should I buy?" The answer may be a little off from the exactly correct value, but it's still much better than just taking a wild-ass guess.

So I think it's safe to use measurement and RT60 calculations, as long as we remain aware of the limitations. We have to remember to take measurements in meaningful locations. We have to remember that treatments cannot just be added anywhere (as the statistical analyses suggest), that they must be installed in meaningful locations, such as first reflection points.

But that doesn't mean that we should do nothing, or just attach panels to primary reflection points and call it a day..

Very true. I am all for measurement and quantification where possible.

There hasn't been too much discussion of measurement in this forum yet, but I'm sure that as time goes on it's a topic that will be explored and we will arrive, as a group, at several solutions that are within the understanding and budget of your typical AK'er.

I wonder who and or how many folks here have professional acoustical measurement equipment like EASERA, Smaart or TEF?

I wonder who and or how many folks here have professional acoustical measurement equipment like EASERA, Smaart or TEF?
I think very few.

There's another acoustician in the Austin area named David Nelson who is an extremely bright guy and writes measurement software using National Instruments LabVIEW. I ran into him at Noise-Con in Portland last month and showed me a real-time Maximum Length Sequence room response application that he's been working on. You can literally walk around the room with an absorptive panel, hold it in various places, and see which reflections (displayed in ms) are being absorbed at each location. The nature of MLS rejects any sound not from your source, so you can talk or make noise while you do your testing without affecting the measurement.

He said that he had been thinking about making a version based in Windows Audio, that anyone with a laptop could use, and I strongly encouraged him in that endeavor. I think there could be a real market of audiophiles and home theater enthusiasts who'd be willing to pay a few hundred bucks for that kind of information. Apparently the biggest obstacle is dealing with Windows Audio, which can be lackadaisical when it comes to timing. He may look into ASIO, but I think he's got some bigger stuff on his plate so if we see it, it could be a while. Or maybe someone else will beat him to it.

In the free domain, there's Room EQ Wizard. For the price, it's pretty impressive.

We have two systems here that are N.I. based, One we built, one we bought. I just love the stuff, it's like Lego's, you just grab and go. I finally made the jump from Signal Expresss to the full version of Lab View late last year, it's still way smarter than me!

David's walk around measurement device sounds interesting indeed.

And I think your right about who has what for measuring gear, one would possibly be considered certifiable to spend several thousand dollars on that level of gear in the pursuit of a hobby not to mention the education needed to get the most out of the investment.

I bought TEF. :yes:

That looks pretty cool. What else do you need to use that program, a good microphone I suppose? Does Radio Shack's digital sound meter have an output?

I don't think that RS digital sound meter's microphone is accurate enough to use with Room EQ wizard, you need a calibrated lab grade microphone for best results.

That looks pretty cool. What else do you need to use that program, a good microphone I suppose? Does Radio Shack's digital sound meter have an output?
You do need a good microphone that has a reasonably flat frequency response. It doesn't have to be a measurement microphone. I think there are calibration files for using popular microphone models in REW, so you may find some hints there.

I don't know for sure if the famous Radio Shack sound level meter (official SLM of disgruntled homeowners everywhere) has audio pass-through, but I think it does. If you do use a SLM with REW, remember to set the meter to C-weighted and to set the C-weighted setting in REW.

I don't think that RS digital sound meter's microphone is accurate enough to use with Room EQ wizard, you need a calibrated lab grade microphone for best results.
"Best" results, but not "adequate" results. You'd be surprised at how well those <$100 meters do. Homeowners have often compared their Radio Shack meters to one of my Type I meters and they're usually not more than 1 or 2 broadband dB apart. Even iPhone and Android SLMs can be calibrated to be pretty close to what a Type I meter sees. It's not submissible in court, but certainly good enough for Joe Homeowner.

But that hardly even matters anyway, because to determine room response with REW you don't need to know absolute amplitude, you just need to know the frequency response characteristics of the microphone. The Radio Shack SLMs are made well enough that there's little variation from unit to unit, so the REW correction files are perfectly usable.

Last edited:
We have two systems here that are N.I. based, One we built, one we bought. I just love the stuff, it's like Lego's, you just grab and go. I finally made the jump from Signal Expresss to the full version of Lab View late last year, it's still way smarter than me!
This is where we're headed when we have the money to replace our aging LD 2900, which is our vibration and room acoustics system. I used LabVIEW in basically every 300, 400, and 500 level lab class I took, and it was never very hard to figure out how to build the right vi for the job. In my senior summer session I built a vi to control a water-break dyno. I was proud of that. That was 2002, so I'm sure LabVIEW is even better now than it was. I'm looking forward to being able to build custom applications for those weird projects that require creativity.

I bought TEF.
You'll hear no judgement from me.

Back
Top Bottom