RTR EXP 10 SCORE, or What have you found in speakers you bought?

1Entendra

There, that should fix it!
Subscriber
I have been watching a set of RTR EXP 10 on FB for a few weeks. They started out asking $150 and over the weeks dropped the price to $75. A sick friend of mine needs speakers and does not have much $ so I went and bought these to give him.
Well, the circuit breaker is bad on one of them and the tweeter was not working, so I opened it up to see if I could fix it. Look what was inside stuffed in the bottom corner...

IMG_0684sm.jpg
$150.00, plus a film canister, an empty vial, and single edge razor blade! (The bills all had dates of 1996.) I bypassed the circuit breaker and every thing works great. These little buggers really sound much better than I thought they would.
It was a GREAT day for me! Now I'm headed out to buy a Lotto ticket, and MORE speakers!

Let's see, $150 and a common canister for carrying drugs in 1996. I would say somebody was jacked up playing Korn or possibly Rob Zombie. That is an awesome score and you didn't have to flush an eight ball to relieve yourself of the 15 month minimum federal charge for possession of cocain.

I have been watching a set of RTR EXP 10 on FB for a few weeks. They started out asking $150 and over the weeks dropped the price to $75. A sick friend of mine needs speakers and does not have much $ so I went and bought these to give him.
Well, the circuit breaker is bad on one of them and the tweeter was not working, so I opened it up to see if I could fix it. Look what was inside stuffed in the bottom corner...

View attachment 1086771
$150.00, plus a film canister, an empty vial, and single edge razor blade! (The bills all had dates of 1996.) I bypassed the circuit breaker and every thing works great. These little buggers really sound much better than I thought they would.
It was a GREAT day for me! Now I'm headed out to buy a Lotto ticket, and MORE speakers!

I had to bypass the breakers on my EXP-8 speakers as well, but, man, what a sound! These are real sleepers. They have permanent status in my collection!

With no fuse ???

I don't play at high volumes, and none of my other speakers have fuses as well. It all depends on the levels you are using. I'm 'older' now. I have traded high volumes for quality at all levels. Makes for a difference search. There are tons of speakers out there that sound good at high volume levels. Precious few that can produce superb sound at lower levels. But i am getting there!

I don't play at high volumes, and none of my other speakers have fuses as well. It all depends on the levels you are using. I'm 'older' now. I have traded high volumes for quality at all levels. Makes for a difference search. There are tons of speakers out there that sound good at high volume levels. Precious few that can produce superb sound at lower levels. But i am getting there!

For me it depends on the energy of the lead singer and the back beat, when their hot...their hot and when their not the volume drops dramatically. Like the 45rpm recording of “White Rabbit” or Moody Blues “Seesaw” the volume goes up then down again for James Taylor, Gordon Light Foot and other acoustical guitarists. But I have noticed how quiet people are these days....

I was browsing at a used bookstore in New York ages ago (Samuel Weiser Books, for the oldtimers). I took a very old book off the shelf, I forget why it interested me. I noticed it had a slight bulge. It was caused by 20 Twenty dollar bills — $400. The price of the book was $5, which I happily paid. The bills were notably different in design from the current Twenties, and dated 1901, iirc. A numismatist gave me twice the face value. Should I have given them to Mr Weiser? Maybe, but it hasn't troubled me.

Back
Top Bottom