Ruffled Feathers -n- All......The Integral Transference Project

Roberts said:
...I will go out on a limb here but so far, experimentation suggest each sphere contails a minimum of 16 drivers, a minimum of 3 spheres. this would be 48 drivers for the Micro transfer alone. ...

Wouldn't it be simpler and cheaper to just hire the band??

Clay :scratch2:

harhau said:
Roberts and/or moderators: What happened to my attachemnt on the previous page? Granted, I had cut it from one of the Integral Transference white papers, so maybe it isn't strictly my right to post it. Now it has vanished without a trace. What's up?

- Harald

Far as I know no one touched your post.

This concludes my answers for at least a few days on this posting. Here are the Patent numbers so far. You can do a global search for more patent numbers when you have the time. Also, I will accept some PM's. I am busy through the week, moreso than weekends.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/srchnum.htm

"Trinnov" Is pretty cool Ron but that is only only the recording side of the equation, how do you reproduce it in your living room?? I am still not clear on what Roberts program material was exactly and whether or not it relied on special recording equipment in order for his computer program to work or not. It is all very interesting but so far away from any of our means that it will probably always be just that "very interesting". :scratch2:

No, actually Trinnov is after the decoding but before the multichannel amp. The 4 capsule microphone is what is used to measure the multiple speakers used in a system and co-ordinate the response using algorithms.

Ron-C

I tried to read the papers but my ADD won't let me get to far before it becomes meaningless. Looking at the diagrams was helpfull and after reading about something a while back that dealt with being able to project a whisper 100 yards away over ambient noise I can grasp that there is new nano technology that will be able to project soundwaves and have them propogate at a distance without raising SPLs (unless that was BS).

With the high speed processors available today along with all the RAM that is easily affordable I can grasp that using a new form of transducer that this is not something that will be out of reach to those with disposable income for very long after it (if it can) becomes an industry standard.

I can very easily see this becoming part and parcel of the Cinematic Experience which means it will soon follow in one form or another to domecile friendly packaging.

I for one would love to have this take over the live music industry where one most likely hears a PA system reproducing what is happening on the stage, and not always with good results. I do want to be able to hear everything clearly and accuratly without being subjected to higher SPLs than can be produced by an orchestra without amplification.

There is by the way something that is like this but in an extremly simple form that is made by Bose for performers to use instead of regular stage monitors that are todays standard. Basically they are placed around the stage much like microphone stands in front of the performers but radiate 360*. This is not for the audience by any means but is for a on stage near field spatial effect that the performers can hear.

As far as High Fidelity with no sweet spot, I am all for it. Listening to gear, no matter the quality, that doesn't allow you to move takes away from the experience.

So after reading as much as I could without loosing my concentration, tying that in with what little I grasp about computer technology and Hi Fi, I just have one word.

DYMAXION

OK, all you Bucky Fuller wannabes.......Of course, there's a lot of worse things to want to be than Buckminster Fuller...<grin>-Sandy G.

Good to see some humor laced in this discussion, although my humor is more of the British flavor, Do carry on as you can. I just can't do a continuous concentration of this thread right now. I will come in from time to time.

Direct questions will be noted.

Hey,Thatch..wasn't the Dymaxion a concept car in the fifties?
I think what this whole thing is about is that if you can control the acoustics in a given space,your perception of loud,soft,near,far,left,and right,can be completely fooled. A bit of sound being eminated by one of the many transducers in this system is steered and altered by the rest of the transducers in the system. Even with basic phase manipulation you can make a sound seem to be coming from behind your head and nowhere else-while only using a left and right front speaker.
Projecting a whisper over ambient noise is a good example..if you use the system to sample the ambient noise in enough places and enough times,and the system is used to reproduce a sound field that cancels the ambient noise in all the right places,your mind percieves it as silence,and you merely have to add the whisper on top. I know I am oversimplifying it,but I think I'm on the right track.
We recently heard a a new type of system from Eastern Acoustic Works.
It's called a "digitally steerable array" or DSA. It's a pretty traditional column looking speaker,but uses 8 horns stacked one on top of the other and 8 power amps. The pattern is "steered" up or down by as much as 60 degrees. It's intended use is to be flat mounted on a wall,and the "steering" used to focus the sound field down onto the audience. It seems to be done by altering the phase,time and frequency content sent individually to each horn. Small crowd,point it real down to minimize reflections in an empty room. Big crowd,pull it up to cover the back. It's only steerable in one plane now,but as we all know,now is only temporary.....
I think the "outside the box" way of looking at(hearing it?)is to think about creating silence with sound. :scratch2:

Dymaxion is a whole world view concept which includes the geodesic dome, or a simple design concept that can go in almost any direction including automobiles. Or maybe audio.

It has been my experience to see many concepts come to fruition when technology goes far enough that the concept becomes feasable. True Science Fiction is always of the possible.

For the greatest kept secrets in audio technology I think one should look at the passive sonars in submarines.

Unless you can fathom walls (and ceilings) that will conform to specific directions to cause reflections to focus, or a completely new form of transducer and ambient noise cancellation program, then using transducers already available and forms that have already been created at least basically have to be used. Dymaxion is 50 years old and the drawings used to show the basic new concept are close enough to cause one to wonder.

No, I am not asking specific questions, but since I can't get much out of the technical papers, I am trying to use my imagination along with things I understand to gain an insight into the possabilities of something that sounds new and unique.

Or the pics reminded me of Bucky and I am making a wild ass guess. Sandy, you continue to impress the hell out of me. Or do you just have a good search engine?

The Dymaxion Transport car was built by Bucky Fuller & others in the mid - '30s. It had a Ford flathead V-8 in the tail, & looked more like a Zeppelin than it did a car. I think it still exists,altho maybe in unrestored shape. -Sandy G.

Back
Top Bottom