Rumble from TT

MER71

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I noticed the rumble from the TT. The noticed it with my Vandersteens 2c and Polk SDA 1A. They say good speakers will reveal your flaws. Any suggestions? I am using a Realistic Lab-500. Thank you in advance.

could be the table bearings need addressed, could be table noise is being amplified and reflected back into the table from the stand its on. could be just an energy loop through the table itself from a culmination of the motor noise, bearing noise, base noise reflecting all that. Etc.

Deleted by poster, 6/14. Reason: We can't seem to settle on a definition of "rumble".

Last edited:
Is the sub level turned up too high? Maybe try a different turntable and see if the results are similar. Also, it could be acoustic feedback if the turntable is too close to the sub.

It's quite possible that (I'm assuming) the 'lubricated for life' direct drive motor in the turntable is in dire need of lubrication!

Also, it's been reported that the compliance of the original cart results in a resonant frequency below 5Hz, which will exaggerate the effect of record warp and turntable rumble. You might want to try a much less compliant cart on that table or locate a n95ej stylus for the original cart. If you go with a different cartridge, you'll have to use a light headshell. The original combo headshell / cart was only 10.7g ... you don't really want that counterweight wagging around at the extreme end of the tonearm stub (and probably hitting the dustcover). You could also rig-up an auxiliary counterweight.

Here's a good thread on the subject of the LAB 500: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/my-rebuilt-fully-restored-realistic-lab-500.481589/

The rumble is the sound of the stylus in the groove. I notice the rumble defines warped vinyl.

Not really .... rumble is low frequency noise generated by the turntable ... typically the bearing, belt, motor, pulley, belt, etc. Some records may actually have rumble existing in the master tapes ... perhaps from a poor bearing in the cutter.

I think the general concepts have been defined above. But what I was saying previously, about the stock cartridge is pretty key to your issue, as far as I'm concerned. Read this (although there are, I believe, some issues with the inputs used in the calculations presented): http://www.theanalogdept.com/cartridge___arm_matching.htm If your cartridge / tonearm combination results in that frequency being in the range of rumble .... or record warp .... or footfall ... you'll hear it. And as I was saying, it looks like the stock cartridge does just that.

In terms of speaker placement ... don't have the speakers on the opposite side of the room facing the turntable. Don't have the turntable sitting out in front of the speakers. Take the dust cover of the turntable when it is in use (or at least close the dustcover) In other words don't do anything that promotes the stylus picking up vibrations from the speakers. How far away? Usually it isn't an issue, because the general rule of thumb is the speakers and you, the listener, should form an equilateral triangle. So how far do you sit away from the speakers ... 10 feet? 6 feet? So how far away is the speaker from the components? 2 to 4 feet? But of course set-ups quite often are not ideal. I have a long low, long stand that has 2 turntables, 2 amps, etc. on it, so my turntables sit to each side of my stand with speakers right next to them. I've had some issues with woofers 'pumping' when cycling turntables / cartridges through the setup but generally, with good matches, I don't have any issues.

Back
Top Bottom