Rundown on the Yamaha YP-* TT Series?

salred

Rest In Peace
I admit it -- I've got the vintage audio bug. First was a Yamaha CR-840 that has been cleaned and beautified by our own Merrylander, and recently I picked up a YP-211 TT from a local Craigslister ($25.00). [Needs some lubrication & some dampening fluid, but I'm working on that.]

I'm sure I'll be moving up the TT food chain -- can someone point me to basic information on the various "YP" TT models ? Were they all belt drive? Which were manual / semi-automatic / fully automatic, etc?

Thanks for any guidance,

Steve Alred

higher-end:
YP-D71, c. 1979, DD, desirable!
YP-D10, c. 1977, DD
YP-D8, c. 1978, DD
YP-D6, c. 1978, DD

lower-end:
YP-701, c. 1976, belt
YP-450, c.1976, belt
YP-400, c. 1976, belt
YP-D3, c. 1978, DD
YP-B2, c. 1978, belt
YP-211, c. 1978, belt

...there are plenty more, of course, but a D71 should be a nice player before the great PX-1 / 2 / 3, PF-800 / 1000 or the GT-2000(L) (major league there).

Axel,

Great! Thanks much -- now I have a much better idea of where to set my sights.

Steve A.

axel said:
higher-end:
YP-D71, c. 1979, DD, desirable!
YP-D10, c. 1977, DD
YP-D8, c. 1978, DD
YP-D6, c. 1978, DD

lower-end:
YP-701, c. 1976, belt
YP-450, c.1976, belt
YP-400, c. 1976, belt
YP-D3, c. 1978, DD
YP-B2, c. 1978, belt
YP-211, c. 1978, belt

...there are plenty more, of course, but a D71 should be a nice player before the great PX-1 / 2 / 3, PF-800 / 1000 or the GT-2000(L) (major league there).
I would move the YP-D71 to the end of the 'higher-end' listing. And, add the YP-801BL to the list. Is a DD manual TT. But, very well made with a jewel of a TA. Also, add the PF-1000/800 BD TTs. Semi-auto.

axel how about the YP-1000 and 1000II, where in the food chain do they fit. Or are they renamed units? It seems a little like the PF-800/1000.

Teh only one I have any info on is the low-end YP-B4, which I haven't seen mentioned yet.

YP-B4p1.jpg

YP-B4p4.jpg

Thumpy said:
YP-D6 is DD and automatic. That's the extent of my Yamaha TT knowledge.

Maybe it's just a semantic issue but to me the YP-D6 is Semi-automatic. My definition of an automatic turntable is that it will initially cue the record as well as lift and return the tonearm at the end of the record. My YP-D6 only returns the tonearm at the end of a record.

Here's some pics of my YP-B2. It certainly is pretty even though it is on the lower end

Attachments

• PICT0037 (Medium).JPG
    PICT0037 (Medium).JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 193
  • PICT0038 (Medium).JPG
    PICT0038 (Medium).JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 321
  • PICT0039 (Medium).JPG
    PICT0039 (Medium).JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 247
I think I'd put the YP-701 considerably higher than the YP-B4, both of which I have. There's an air of flimsiness about the B4 while the 701 is quite substantial. Both work pretty well, though.

I ended up with a YP-D71...

Snagged one from a local seller from That Auction Site so no shipping worries. Very pleased with it set up with a Shure M97Xe.

The YP-211 I traded even-up for a busted CA-1000 from a local CraigsLister. I just got it back from Merrylander this past Saturday -- good as new for $90.

Finally -- ManFromPorlock, my interest in Yamaha TT's started with a YP-701 that I bought new in 1976. Doesn't it have the (to me) rather nifty feature of muting the output during the need drop? That way you could leave the volume at 11 when starting that next LP...

Thanks to all for reinvigorating this thread -- good info!

-- Steve A.

the-real-mandak said:
axel how about the YP-1000 and 1000II, where in the food chain do they fit. Or are they renamed units? It seems a little like the PF-800/1000.
These are not NA units. Not listed in the Orion. If you have a pic of either/both, please post.

Salred - If you like the 701, you should try the YP-801BL. I recently sold mine to wajobu as I don't care for manual TTs. But it is really a jewel. I posted a pic over here: http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=915269#post915269

We seem to have three Yamaha TT threads running at once. Here's the third: http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=60146

Here's the same first page from the YP-D8 brochure. I have the other three pages if anyone would like to see them all posted.

YamahaYP-D8.jpg

YamahaYP-D8pg2.jpg

YamahaYP-D8pg3.jpg

YamahaYP-D8pg4.jpg

Yamaha TT experts. Any opinions on which is the better table, the YP-D8 or the PF-800? By better, I mean only the sound -- both are semi-auto, one DD and one belt-driven. I'm thinking only of sound -- is there any sonic reason to choose one or the other, or should I just consider price? Thanks!

ozmoid said:
*AHEM* Yes, I'd love to see the other two pages! :)
Have added the other three pages to the first page. There is a nice one on eBay. I am bidding on a YP-D10 on eBay and if I win I will be selling mine, as well. I've told at least one other AKer, who would be the first to get, should he decide he wants. But, if not, then is available to whomever speaks first. I will want my original funds back. If interested, send me a PM and I'll put you in the queue. Keeping my fingers crossed on the YP-D10. Got the AK 'Pony Express' waiting in 'hot standby', just in case. :yes:

Thanks for the link. The YP-800 was available in the NA market and we see them fairly often on eBay. The YP-1000II base looks identical to the YP-801BL that I recently sold to wajobu. The TA on the 800 and 801BL look the same. It is the only one of them I have seen. I got a great deal on it ($102, IIRC). I think it is the finest Yamaha TT that I've come across. Too bad it is a manual deck. Or I would never have let it go. Am assuming it came out of Yamaha's own machine-shops, as they have been an instrument maker for so many years they must have excellent mechanical (or at least did at the time) abilities.

My pleasure.

Axel - Do you have any info on what the difference might be between the YP-D8 and YP-D10? There is a 2 pound weight difference, but nothing else that I've noticed. The difference between the PF-800 and -1000 was 2 pounds due to a denser inner platter material in the -1000 and better interconnects. But nothing else.

Back
Top Bottom