Rune and Roon?

ducati_EL34

Addicted Member
so I am looking over Rune for a music server for a RPi hardware. I misspelled Rune as Roon In a Google search, and find a similar software, that costs $120/yr it $500 lifetime.

Now why would I spend that much money, when a free option is available?

Well, remember that is what Tidal does and people, on this forum, rave about Tidal - which is 20 bucks a month (or about the same price as ROON and ROON will have Tidal built in). Also Roon can play DSD, and other high res files, not sure about Rune.

I am not interested in Tidal or any other paid service. So that is a non issue.

I can use my PC as a server and do, for my other PC's using JRiver, it is pretty easy. No need to play with Linux or anything else.

I like playing with Linux!:D

I am only interested in it serving up music. I will not be staring at my monitor reading the liner notes.
Roon is not selling itself just as a standard file server. It is a complete solution for those that want to read about albums and artists and see lyrics. It also is great for playing genres and sub-genres. It will also put together playlists and radio stations around artists and players. For example, if they know a drummer is on three of your albums, they may offer up a playlist for them.

I am not saying it is worth the money, but it has a ton of features not available on any other software I have tried.

I have worked with Linux for a long time (20 or so yrs - in the sciences). It has gotten better but you still need to be a total nerd to get it running right - one wrong piece of hardware and you are done for. Too many people use the defaults for Linux and leave backdoors open (like default passwords, etc.)).

You would have to go out of your way or be too cheap to find a bad piece of hardware today,

As for defaults, the same can be said of Windows users. You do not not need to be a total nerd to get an install up and running.

I can't believe Roon and Rune didn't have a trademark legal battle! Thanks to all for information.

Back
Top Bottom