Runflat Tires as a Selling Feature for BMW 3 Series?

The ones my car came with were summer only; another reason I switched, the replacements were Continental DWS which I haven't really tried in Real Snow but seem to be decent enough in bad weather (and I have a few friends using them that say that they are as well.)

Conti DWSs have stellar ratings from hundreds of BMW enthusiasts....you made a good choice !
Having proper Winter Tires for a car like a RWD BMW makes a world of difference when there`s snow and slush on the ground. For the last 12 years, I`ve run Dunlop Wintersports M3s, which are superb performers under all conditions, including triple-digit speeds on dry pavement.

The ones my car came with were summer only; another reason I switched, the replacements were Continental DWS which I haven't really tried in Real Snow but seem to be decent enough in bad weather (and I have a few friends using them that say that they are as well.)
I run DWS on my E34 and my E39. I started using them because of the price but now I continue using them because of their value and the way they just work. I haven't felt I needed my Pirelli Winters in several years of DWS use.
Pilot A/S is another good one if they come in your size and one of the more reasonably priced Michelins out there.

I have Conti DWS tires on my 530i and they are the smoothest running tire I've ever had. Very reasonable price, too. Skinny spare tire in the well of the trunk - a regular tire won't fit as I tried.

I would rather have non-rft tires and a spare but I can see the advantage to rfts. Particularly for women and men that don't know what a lug wrench is for.

Murray

I've been running Pilot A/S sports on our E39's. They perform well but only last about 30k. I've been considering jumping on a 128i sport 6 speed to enjoy the last of the proper naturally aspired BMW I6 engines. They all have the junk run-flats so you have to factor real tires into the purchase price.

I have Conti DWS tires on my 530i and they are the smoothest running tire I've ever had. Very reasonable price, too. Skinny spare tire in the well of the trunk - a regular tire won't fit as I tried.
You must have an E60 530, not an E39? My E39 came with five BBS composite wheels and tires all the same size, four on the ground and one as a spare.

You must have an E60 530, not an E39? My E39 came with five BBS composite wheels and tires all the same size, four on the ground and one as a spare.
Yes, E60. The spare tire well is maybe just 1" or so too small in diameter to slip a standard size wheel/tire in.

Continental tire pic - getting a new headlamp, here.

Cd9yriI.jpg

My main E39 came without a spare.. There's a big battery where it should be and has a big ///M logo on the cover. No RFT's here either. :dunno: :D

I carry the spare from my other e39 in the trunk.. gotta have a spare!

These cars can chew up the inners of the rear tires so fast if you are not running max psi and on the high side of neg rear camber spec.

My main E39 came without a spare.. There's a big battery where it should be and has a big ///M logo on the cover. No RFT's here either. :dunno: :D

I carry the spare from my other e39 in the trunk.. gotta have a spare!

These cars can chew up the inners of the rear tires so fast if you are not running max psi and on the high side of neg rear camber spec.
That`s strange....my `99 E39 came with 5 17-inch Style 5 wheels, wearing Dunlop Sport 2000 summer tires....battery was in the normal location, tucked inside the passenger-side quarter panel.

That`s strange....my `99 E39 came with 5 17-inch Style 5 wheels, wearing Dunlop Sport 2000 summer tires....battery was in the normal location, tucked inside the passenger-side quarter panel.

I was playin :) There is a reason. It's an e39 M5. Have to make room for that dual exhaust. Originally it came with a little compressor and some sealant goo to put in your flat tire..

I had a '98 540i Sport with 17'' style 19's, that's what i'm using as a spare now... always loved the classic style 5 though!

Another "advantage" of RFT is if you do have a flat, your car's technology based on wheel speed and rotation still functions. These include ABS, Stability Control, Traction Control. With a conventional tire flat, these systems will not operate or will not operate properly as they're receiving mixed signals of rotation and speed from the flat corner.

I'm not saying RFT is the game-changing technology that ABS was (my '87 BMW has even has that), but it does provide valid safety benefits, if that's what you're looking for. No "false sense of security" since the USA's mandatory TPM system will still tell you you've got a flat, but real security in that you can still drive the car to a safe location.

Ask your wife or S.O. if she'd rather change a tire on the side of the highway in traffic and weather, or drive home and let you deal with it when she finally remembers to tell you about it.

+ 1000 BMWCCA Sir. :thumbsup: Thank you

Sorry about the late reply/input, as I just stumbled upon it, but I have to personally agree that RFT are great and practical, at least for me..
My 2006 Mini S came stock with them, and have saved my bacon when I ran over a cluster of nails that were used in a air nailer gun.. 7 nails concentrated in a small area on my right front tire..
As probably fell off from some non secured load on a construction truck.. :dunno:

Allowed me to get to my tire place safely over 25 miles away and have all tires replaced, as was about time anyway.

Also when I used up the original soft performance tires on my 2003 BMW Z8 Alpina Roadster I decided to have those replaced with the RFT as well.
I have quite a few times had both cars up to just shy of their max speed ratings, (150 mph in the Alpina, 130 in the Mini) with no problems with handling performance concerns.
The Mini has the handling package fitted so it was always a little hard feeling, but I knew that when I ordered it. And wanted to feel the road as it drives like a go cart anyway.

The Alpina ride was a little stiffer after the installation of RFT but it felt sporty too. And with 2 different sized tires fitted on it, RFT have provided me with a level of confidence and security, especially being partially paralyzed on my left side, when driving that I will be able drive the car to a safe location until a flat bed tow truck arrives, or even to the BMW dealer..
FWIW. folks.. Kind regards, OKB

I can tell you they work. A lady I work with asked if I could put some air in her tire since the low pressure monitor thing was on. There was a hole in the sidewall of the tire that I could put my hand through. She said the light had been on for several days. She drove the car some 30 miles to work, and I know where and how she drives. I fully expect she broke 70 more than once. No way that would have been possible with a standard tire.

I put the spare on for her and told her to go buy a new tire on her way home.

Back
Top Bottom