4. Nobody's Hero
5. Between Sun And Moon
6. Alien Shore
7. The Speed Of Love
8. Double Agent
9. Leave That Thing Alone
10. Cold Fire
11. Everyday Glory

Produced by Peter Collins, Counterparts was Rush's 15th studio album, released in 1993.

The trend toward a longer album continued with 11 tracks totalling more than 54 minutes. Leave That Thing Alone was Rush' 4th instrumental. The other tracks explore a variety of emotive subjects.

Counterparts hit #2 in the Billboard album chart, the highest position ever for a Rush album and #14 in the U.K.

Pye Dubois (of Max Webster) contributed to the lyrics, co-writing Between Sun And Moon with Neil Peart. He had previously been credited with co-writing Tom Sawyer (Moving Pictures).
A great album. Always find myself listening to this LOUD.

This thread will detail the music of one of rock's most enduring bands. I intend to write a post for each album and explore some of what was going on at the time of release of each one.

The work of Rush has been part of my playlist for many years, but I don't intend to make this thread a personal journey. The fact that I buy my coffee from the gas station where Neil Peart's motorcycle was inadvertently filled with diesel is neither here nor there. It doesn't give me a single degree of separation from the band, nor does it make me feel that I've walked in the footprints of the gods. The music has been important to me and it has certainly impressed me, but this thread will collate the thoughts of others, hopefully finding some anecdotes that long time fans will find familiar and introducing the band to those who are not so familiar with the Canadian trio.

I've no idea how long it will take to work my way from Rush to Clockwork Angels. I'd rather take my time over it and do a good job than present a list of albums and little else. I spend long periods away from my sound and computer equipment and would rather not attempt to do it on my phone, my only link to the civilized world, so in the main, I'll be waiting until I'm home to post to the thread, but taking notes at other times for inclusion in the posts.

Anyway, this is more of a statement of intent rather than an informative post. Exploring the 40 year history of one of the most influential bands of all time will be an interesting study.

Thanks to @Ethan25 for planting the seeds of the idea. I encourage you to take a look at a similar thread he is working on following the life and work of Phil Keaggy.
Great idea Kevin! You the man!

Different Stages

IMG_8802.JPG

Track list:

1. Dreamline
2. Limelight
3. Driven
4. Bravado
5. Animate
6. Show Don't Tell
7. The Trees
8. Nobody's Hero
9. Closer To The Heart
10. 2112: Overture
11. 2112: The Temples Of Syrinx
12. 2112: Discovery
13. 2112: Presentation
14. 2112: Oracle: The Dream
15. 2112: Soliloquy
16. 2113: Grande Finale
17. Test For Echo
18. Analogue Kid
19. Freewill
20. Roll The Bones
21. Stick It Out
22. Resist
23. Leave That Thing Alone
24. The Rhythm Method
25. Natural Science
26. The Spirit Of Radio
27. Tom Sawyer
28. YYZ
29. Bastille Day
30. By Tor And The Snow Dog
31. Xanadu
32. Farewell To Kings
33. Something For Nothing
34. Cygnus X-1
35. Anthem
36. Working Man
37. Fly By Night
38. In The Mood
39. Cinderella Man

Suddenly you were gone
From all the lives you left your mark upon

Different Stages was dedicated to the memory of Neil Peart's daughter, Selena, and his wife, Jackie.

Released in 1998, much of the work fell to Geddy Lee in preparing the album for sale. He must have been mindful that he was probably working on the last Rush album since, although it fits neatly into the established 4 studio plus 1 live and effectively closes the 4th chapter of Rush, the future of the band was in serious doubt. No one was talking about even the most remote possibility that Neil Peart would return to the studio and the subject was firmly off the table.

The aforegoing perhaps explains why Different Stages received the treatment that it did. The album is a 39 track monster, spread over 3 CDs. The first two were mostly recorded during the Test For Echo tour at Chicago, with a few tracks from the 1994 Counterparts tour. The 3rd disk is a recording from the Farewell To Kings tour, recorded at the Hammersmith Odeon, London in 1978. Farewell? Coincidence? I don't think so. I think Lee considered Rush to be finished and wanted to go out with a bang.

The album should have been a triumph, but at the time, there was a huge sense of loss. The greatest group in the galaxy was gone. I, along with thousands of other fans all over the world, dutifully headed for the record store to buy my copy, knowing that we had reached the end of an era.

History, of course, tells us that we were wrong to write off Rush so quickly, but having read Neil's book, and gained an insight into his thoughts and feelings, it's clear that the future of the band hung in the balance for quite some time.

MI0002894271.jpg

Are we sneaking this one in ?

I just watched the best RUSH related YouTube video ever. Sorry but I don't know how to link it to here but look up "Hitler's meltdown over Neil Peart's retirement."
If you haven't seen it before be prepared to laugh your ass off. :D

Would somebody please be so kind as to PM me the instructions on how to link videos and such?
I'm sure that it's easy but I need to be shown with easy to follow instructions.

Very weird - I have a couple Rush CDs ordered "Kings" and "Hemispheres" via Amazon- plus a deluxe CD/DVD copy of 2112 with 5.1 mix off eBay.
Yesterday I got a regular release of 2112 from some declutter site in GA and I can't for the life of me figure why??
No complaints, but from what I can see, I never paid anyone for it, and I have no record of an order via either firm ...

Mystical Rush stuff!

Back
Top Bottom