Rush fans: Power Windows...remaster or original?

tomlinmgt

Lunatic Member
I caught a recorded live performance on VHI Classic recently and realized Power Windows has several songs I really like ( it came out when I was a young drummer cutting his teeth) and haven't heard in a while. I'm gonna hit the used record/cd stores this weekend to get it. Should I look for an original or remaster? I picked up an original Grace Under Pressure last year and wasn't crazy about the production, but my original Moving Pictures sounds outstanding.

- Michael

I have an original LP of Power Windows that sounds fantastic -- as it should because it has RL in the deadwax. Bob Ludwig is The Man. In fairness, I haven't heard the remastered version of PW, which might also be excellent.

Anything Rush, get the Remaster. Some of the regular versions are good like Moving Pictures, but the remasters are just that much better over those. I wish they would do something about Vapor Trails.:no: I think Moving Pistures was the last one before the volume wars production of all things rock, so I think you will find the Remaster of Power Windows more delightful than the regular version. I have all the regular versions of the Rush Discography and for some time. I just ponied up about 5 months ago for all the remasters (older remasters, not the new ones - don't get those) as they were on sale at Amazon for $5 each. I can hear a notiable difference, then again I have a rather revealing system. Again, regular versions aren't bad with the exception of Vapor Trails, but the older remasters are better some more subtle than others.

I do agree that the remasters on CD can be superb. I have Moving Pictures, Grace Under Pressure, and Hold Your Fire. They all are noticeably more detailed and expansive than the original CDs.

I have the original Power Windows vinyl and I love it....Its a tad thin in the bass end but a tweek on my bass knob and its much better.
Some excellent songs on that album

Dragging up an old thread..

I've been on a kick buying the Rush Remasters cds and I have to say they are fantastic! I was really concerned that they would be overly compressed or doctored with. They are slightly louder and have a noticeable extended range compared to the original. The Signals CD is still uncompressed enough to see individual snare and kick hits that are different even on loud parts.

Power Windows really picked up some low end. I'm curious to hear Presto and Hold Your Fire. Those were the worst for 'thin' especially on cassette. ;)

I also just got the new 200g Exit Stage Left vinyl. Very nice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom