Russian PIO caps, 500C

dsndblm

Hi All

It's great that we have a Fisher specific forum:banana:

I've completed the power supply rebuild on my 500C. All new or restuffed multi section electrolytics, hexfred diodes, new bias caps and rectifier, current inrush limiter, .01 1600V death caps. I brought it up slowly with my variac a few minutes ago and the 500C lives! Had her on FM and a station came in loud and clear.

Now on to the audio and mpx sections. I have enough Russian K42-Y-2 caps in .1uf and .047uf values to take care of most of the audio section. I also have Orange Drop caps to use as well. Just wondering what would be the best choice? .1 PIO for 7591 coupling only? Orange drops throughout? Thoughts and opinions appreciated from all.:thmbsp:

I have k 42's in my bias supply.They sound fine.Better than what you might read about on the net.A little clearer than a k40 miles clearer than a stock cap.
I have pio's k 40's in my preamp but haven't tried going into the tuner yet.I have orange drop's for the job but no time.

Put one or the other in. Do some critical listening, then change out the coupling caps and see what happens. Experimentation until YOU are satisfied is the only REAL way to get YOUR BEST Sound. Everyone is different as is their hearing. You'll probably find that a mixture of caps will actually sound best as you aren't getting only one cap coloration.

I mixed mine up in my 400. Mallory's, Cornell Dublier, DME's, Orange Drops. Sounds good to me and that is Ultimately what counts.

Larry

I have K40 PIOs in my 800C, think they're the .1uF caps. I like them, but I haven't compared them to anything else. Thinking about trying Auricaps in my 500C when I get around to rebuilding it. The Auricaps are really expensive, like 10 bucks each for 600V/.1uF.

I've tried K42Ys and was exceptionally pleased with the soundstage depth and vertical spacial imaging. K40Ys are next.

Honestly I can barely bring myself to turn on the soldering iron during the summer though. I'm takin' a breather.

I'm very happy with K40 (0.1uF) coupling caps in my 800c. Still need to replace the odds & sods throughout the rest of the circuit with Orange Drops / Mallorys / ICs.

-D

I got the K40 .1uf and .22uf in my Dynaco MKIII's and one Dynaco MKIII has the Orange Drops, can't tell the difference.

Back
Top Bottom