RX-Z9 intermittent volume bug

Dumbas

New owner of a rx-z9. Bought the unit with the volume knob not working, didn't think it was a big deal because the volume control worked with the remote. I removed the volume control unplugged it and plugged it back in and it started working again , great fixed itself too easy. Wrong, hooked speakers back to it and they play around 30% max. I go through the menu and find some adjustments, speaker size, lfe, etc and notice a decent improvement. Not knowing this receiver I assume this is how it's supposed to sound. Disconnected it and screwed the body back together , hooked everything back up and its back to full ear bleed volume but the knob doesn't work again. What am I missing? When the knob worked it was muffled and tinny. full power is back but now the knob doesn't work.

I've owned 2 of these, still own 1. This one I fixed after it was dropped by UPS on its back panel. Still have 2 broken binding posts. But it does work and it runs much more even than the other one I had. That one was pristine and one side ran hot hot hot. Other side was cool.
No idea what could be causing your issue. Sorry, but try that pure direct mode or something and see if anything changes.
Cool.
Srinath.

On my Z9, occasionally the volume knob on the chassis seems a bit unresponsive to a soft touch, but with a bit more force, it comes around. Always works fine from remote. Mine runs hot and has been in service running 3-5+ hours a day every day since new.

Weird. The one I have was dropped, badly on the back panel but also had a good bit of damage to the front, the door wont close well, and if you close it, you have to pull the face plate off to open it, and the on off button had to be glued back. It had so many scratches and pock marks that I had to polish the top and side plates top surfaces to make it look 1/2 way decent. Worse yet, I have broken binding posts that I don't think I'll ever find the correct ones to swap out. However, its volume from the unit or remote has been perfect as well as it runs cool.
I had the innards of the amp splayed out across the tail gate of my truck and had to build solder traces and jumper wires and this and that. I am surprised it got back together, and even more impressed that it worked. Now to find out its has 2 less problems than a normal Z9 - I don't even know what to say.

@toddalin - Is it hot on both sides or just 1 side ? The one I sold was just 1 side. The side the center is on - was not hot.

Cool.
Srinath.

Mine is mounted in a 19" wall unit and there is about 8" of headroom and backroom, but not much arm room. I always play with the doors closed (open in pic). The entire top always feels hot even when just watching TV at low volume at night. When I say hot, I mean that you cannot leave your arm on it because you will get burned.

My unit was gone over at the Anaheim factory when under warrantee to replace a gold RCA jack that was missing some of its metal along the bottom. I figured the jack would eventually fail if used often, and I shouldn't have to put up with that sh-- on a new $4,500 receiver.

Tweeter_Pics_001.JPG

Stereo_010.JPG

I'm guessing the unit could detect a volume control malfunction. So when I unplugged it then plugged it back in it accepted it back into the system until it could detect a fault at which point it disabled it again. Would that make sense? Thanks for the help. And it does run a little warm. Sounds great, plenty of power and the volume works with the remote no problems. Im not too worried about it.

Back
Top Bottom