S 1117 speakers - any good?

Shain

I stopped at a garage sale and a guy has a pair of Sansui S 1117 speakers.

They look like they could be decent speakers. Dual woofers, tower type speaker

Anyone know about these?

Not familiar with Sansui speakers but I usually go by cabinet weight. If the cab is made out of cheap particle board that looks like it would blow away in a stiff breeze, forget them. I think I've seen the model you're talking about and I'm pretty sure it was from a rack system (i.e. junk).

Just saw two pair of Sansui speakers at the East Town Goodwill. One pair had the white coned woofers that are probably in yours. Foam was rotted and the cone looked like somebody had used it for origami practice. The tweeter was a cheap paper cone with the plastic cheese grater in front of it.

I've had the s-1117 " the tower " speakers for about 2 years now and really like the sound, but that could just be me? anywho if I could find another clean set cheap I would'nt pass em up, BTY the second woofer is a passive radiator:)

I thought the second woofer may be a passive unit. I didn't really spend much time looking at them. They do have the white surrounds.

But they didn't look too bad. In decent overall shape. Surrounds OK. But nothing to test them with.

The guy wanted $100 for them, so I didn't jump too quick.

Not rack system freebies......but

Not the best either. At 48lbs each they wont fall over in a breese but could probably use some help.

I have a similar pair.....s-1200

12" woof
12" PR
5" mid
And the scratchy 2" paper cone tweet

As far as store bought speaks under 400.00, their not too bad.Can they hold a candle to my NHT 2.5s? No, but mostly due to a cheap x-over design and that notsosweet tweet.

Dont get me wrong, these speaks ROCK, but in doing an A/B comparison(a bit unfair maybe?) their not as neutral or as clear.

Im currently in the process of replacing both the x-over and tweet with some goodies from parts express in order to make them a true three way speaker.

Their current design uses only the woofer and mids natural upper rolloff as part of the x-over. This colors and muddies the sound somewhat and is done mostly in order to hit a price point IMHO. Its also suprisingly common among low/mid end speakers, it works but is not the best design

Adding the true three way x-over and a dayton silk dome tweet should get these puppies up to form .

Now, if they would only send me my parts.(sigh)

I really don't know much about these speakers and I'm reasonably sure that this is an old thread (and everyone has already moved on), but based on what I've read about them, I think you may be selling them slightly short.

Supposedly, they're equipped with some sort of dome tweeter, not a cone type, so that element, at least, should be fine.

I probably wouldn't pay $100 for them, mainly because there are too many other great deals in used speakers out there, but for about half that, give or take, I'd seriously consider them.

By the way, if the guy who's selling them can't demo them, (a) I wouldn't even THINK about paying $100 for them, (b) I'd use that as a bargaining point ("Well, if I can't hear them before I buy them, I'm not going to be willing to pay even NEAR what you're asking!") and (c) depending on the condition of the cabinets, grills, surrounds, cones and dust caps, you might want to just walk away. Like I said, there are just TONS of great used speaker deals out there; if you're patient and look hard enough, you'll find them!

Back
Top Bottom