1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

S.M.S.L. M8 streaming Youtube?

Discussion in 'DACs' started by jameswei, Apr 22, 2018.

1. jameswei

jameswei Super Member

I always play itune, but yesterday I wanted to listen to "TRY" by Cobie Calliat but itune didn't have it so I put on Youtube and also play some other music video, about half hour into it, I started hearing a crackling noise. I thought damn there goes the amp, but when I put itune back on everything is fine. Is it the M8 can't support the Youtube video?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

That is not it. What OS? Make sure, in Windows that you internal soundcard is disabled and the SMSL is set as the default. I had no issues.

jameswei likes this.
  3. jameswei

jameswei Super Member

It's Window 10.

4. dewdude

dewdude I fix stuff.

There's really no such thing as "YouTube" support. It's just an audio stream from the browser. It all goes through WASAPI.

But I've never had this issue with my M8. Hours of youtube, slingbox, amazon, GTAV.
    I know its WASAPI compliant because it doesn't break all the time.

You using the drivers Win 10 provided or the XMOS package from SMSL?

5. gvl

gvl Super Member

I doubt it goes through WASAPI. Chrome had experimental WASAPI support but it stopped working if memory serves, at least it didn't work last time I tried. It just goes through the default sound device/Direct Sound.

6. dewdude

dewdude I fix stuff.

Windows 10 doesn't have actual DriectSound. DirectSound has been emulated since Vista.

Apps may not be WASAPI aware and output to DirectSound...but its still going through WASAPI to get to the sound card.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. gvl

gvl Super Member

That is true. I suppose what I was trying to say that browsers use WASAPI Shared mode behind the scenes which is not bit-perfect and basically functionally equivalent to the now deprecated DirectSound (mixing, resampling, etc.)