SA-6500 II replacement transistors

The unit works but the output is low on the right side. From the looks of it the resistor in front of the output trans had an issue( looks like it got hot). I tested the right side outputs - they failed test.
So I cant have the metal if the new trans touch the heatsink right?

So I cant have the metal if the new trans touch the heatsink right?
The metal tab on the outputs is connected directly to the center collector pin on the transistor.So they MUST be totally isolated from the electrically chassis grounded heatsink.

No blown fuses.
So the order of the install is --- heatsink , heatsink compound, mica, heatsink compound and then the output transisitor with the shoulder bushing.
Recommend replacing all 4?

Had a similar issue too. Blown up transistors and some other supporting components. Used the MJE15032 & 33 and it works brilliantly. I have attached some photos of how did I manage to mount the TO220s to give you an insight! greetings from Malta - Chris

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 59
I didnt use thermal grease. instead I used some good , thermally conductive TO264 silicone insulators which will never dry out. MAKE SURE THAT THE TRANSISTORS ARE INSULATED FROM THE HEATSINK! .... cranked up the guts of this little amp to test the thermal dissipation for many hours. all is okay. I preferred my route as the wires offer some slight vibration suspension, which will prolong the pcb track's life. further more, it offers thermal isolation from the transistor to the pcb. This little SA 6500 II is a very neat little amplifier! at least it doesn't use those pesky unobtainable STKs like some similar wattage Technics use! hope this helps. - Chris

to be honest its hovering at around 60mV ... a bit high .... was thinking of tinkering with the resistors to drop it down to around 30mV ..... your thoughts?
I got my bias around 25mv, but I think 30 would be a touch better.... I've left the unit on for a few hours at a time with a good amount of volume and the outputs were not super hot, at least not as hot as I would have expected. If I remember correctly, the bias resistors were 18k I think from schematic??

I got my bias around 25mv, but I think 30 would be a touch better.... I've left the unit on for a few hours at a time with a good amount of volume and the outputs were not super hot, at least not as hot as I would have expected. If I remember correctly, the bias resistors were 18k I think from schematic??
hmmm..... the odd thing is, that the outputs barely get warm at idle..... i could not find 18k on the schematic... what value did you use?

Back
Top Bottom