SA-7700A Amp

koolkatz45

Does anyone else here own one of these? Nice little basic integrated amp with plenty of power for my needs but I have searched high and low for an owner's manual and can not locate one anywhere. I am currently running one of my SX-727's through it as a tuner.

While I'm at it, what is it with this amp? You just don't either see or hear much about them. Was it not a good seller? Thanks! :thmbsp:

pustelniakr has one or more, try pming him. i can tell you a little about the power, 60x2@ .04 THD. hip hip horray for power meters.

It is a nice little amp. Produced near the end of the Big Silver period. They have a nice feature, I wish more amps had (besides the nice meters): clipping indicators. I have one that I am sweetening as we speak (already spoken for).

The only problem with them is the meter lamps tend to burn out. I'm solving that on the unit I'm sweetening, by replacing the meter lamps with white LEDs (never gonna burn out again). I do wish they had used real walnut veneer, rather than the faux wood vinyl (it tends to peel at this age).

A users manual should be available from Rick at Stereomanuals.com. I just ordered a service manual for the SA-7700, myself.

Rich P

pustelniakr said:
It is a nice little amp. Produced near the end of the Big Silver period. They have a nice feature, I wish more amps had (besides the nice meters): clipping indicators. I have one that I am sweetening as we speak (already spoken for).

The only problem with them is the meter lamps tend to burn out. I'm solving that on the unit I'm sweetening, by replacing the meter lamps with white LEDs (never gonna burn out again). I do wish they had used real walnut veneer, rather than the faux wood vinyl (it tends to peel at this age).

A users manual should be available from Rick at Stereomanuals.com. I just ordered a service manual for the SA-7700, myself.

Rich P

Rich,

Thanks for the response. What are you doing to "sweeten" it up? Are you doing anything that would liven up the bass? I need to replace the lamps on mine as one is white and the other has a yellow tint. Any suggestions on adjusting the volume increments? Seems to me they are spread too far apart. I'll try Rick for a manual.

Chris

koolkatz45 said:
Rich,

Thanks for the response. What are you doing to "sweeten" it up? Are you doing anything that would liven up the bass? I need to replace the lamps on mine as one is white and the other has a yellow tint. Any suggestions on adjusting the volume increments? Seems to me they are spread too far apart. I'll try Rick for a manual.

Chris

Sweetening Process:

1. Repair any functional issues (general repair, if needed).
2. DeOxit all controls
3. Make any adjustments, specified in the service manual.
3. Correct any cosmetic issues (if correctable).

If resulting condition and value warrants the extra expense/effort, I may do 1 or more of the following:

4. Replace all electrolytic caps, except large power supply caps (unless required by measured value deviation, leakage, swelling, etc.). In this case I use low ESR, low tan-theta, higher temp and longevity parts, if possible/available.
5. Incandescent lamps replaced by LEDs
6. Replace fake veneer with real walnut veneer (receivers could get something more exotic than walnut).
7. If any parts are replaced that would have an effect on the adjustments specified in the manual, I re-perform those adjustments.

That's it in a nutshell. As for the volume increments, those are physical detents in the controls. The model we are talking about uses a detented volume pot. Volume control via rotary switches, switching discrete components, is not implemented till you get to significantly more expensive models. I try not to second-think the designers in this area.

I hope I answered at least a couple of your questions...

Rich P

Back
Top Bottom