SA-7800 how to not make one into a doorstop.

tarior

Dirty pool, old man?
Subscriber
I will try to make this walkthrough as clear and concise as one with a disorganized mind and a very short attention span possibly could. I will do what I can to answer any questions.

I have this SA-7800 and TX-6800 that I took in on a trade a couple years ago and left sitting on the shelf until the other day. Regular yard sale cast off items if ever there were.
So, I drag it down and have a little look. It seems that some time ago, I had pulled off the top cover and blew out the inch or so of sawdust that it had accumulated while apparently living in a cabinet shop, but nothing else.
DSC00741.JPGDSC00749.JPG
DSC00780.JPG DSC00779.JPG

As per standard procedure, I plugged it in to my handy DBT, a simple, cheap piece of gear that is pretty much mandatory if are going to fiddle with old stereos.
And nothing. After a couple of preliminary checks (fuses), it was determined that the power switch was bad.
For now, we bypass....

It came on, and the relay clicked. Good news! Throughput was good, typical dropouts from dirty switches, but solid on both channels.
Time to pull the covers and inspect.
Someone has been here before.
DSC00730.JPG
This was the only easily observable repair, but looking at the board there had been other failures.

DSC00734.JPG DSC00750.JPG

For now, the amp is working, so we're going to start at the beginning and work from there. This is kind of a board by board walkthrough of the bare minimum of what needs to be done on any vintage piece, and this one in particular.

The first thing is the regulated power supply.
On this one there are two regulator transistors on heat sinks. They need to be removed, tested, cleaned (if good) have new heatsink compound applied, and then re-installed. They can also be replaced if you feel like it, with little no danger of installing a fault condition.
Since the the ones in this amp had very corroded leads, they were replaced. Also replaced were some small capacitors that were in close proximity and obviously cooked.
Everything else was left alone. The entire board was scrutinized for cracked solder joints, which were re-flowed with brush on flux and a good hot iron. If they won't reflow, you will have to remove the old solder first, then re-solder.
Afterwards, the board is washed on both sides with isopropyl alcohol (at least 91%) and patted dry with denim and allowed to fully air dry.
Test board (on DBT always!) and verify correct function before proceeding. And while we're at it, let's double check that ground.
DSC00755.JPG

Now on to that amp board.
Note that there are two pair of trimmers on the board. Neither of them is for DC offset, which is not adjustable on this amp.
There two very important things to do before you ever touch a trimpot in an amp circuit.
1) Read the service manual and find out what it does.
2) This is critical--have it plugged in on the DBT. On many of these vintage amps, if anything in the bias string goes open for even a millisecond, such as a dirty pot cutting out, it will smoke the outputs faster than a fuse can open.
This is a non-switching amplifier (do a search), the 100 ohm pot sets the main bias, the 68K pot sets up current flow for the non-switching circuit.
The 100 ohm MUST be replaced immediately, not optional. Set the thing aside until you can procure some new Bourns sealed trimmers. The 68 should also be replaced as well, but is slightly less critical.
Since I had the 100s on hand, the 68K are still in the pics so that I could proceed.
DSC00735.JPG DSC00737.JPG
To be continued.....

Last edited:
For now, we will leave the bias all the way down. While it's on the DBT, we will check to make sure that it varies when the pots are turned, and that there are no sudden "flashes" while the trimmers are rotated.
Note: the Bourns trimmers function in the opposite direction of the originals. Fully clockwise is 0 (well, about .4) ohms, while the originals will be counter-clockwise.

Next thing, let's check his work. The outputs are...meh. 2SC2921 is a good device, and after studying the ECG59, I'm convinced that it is indeed a Sanken transistor, but, which one?
As luck would have it, I just happen to have a set of original outputs in my parts bin, and after testing on my trusty Duoyi transistor tester, in they go.
DSC00756.JPG
A quick power up (DBT always) to verify. Good. Power down and check a few things.
Emitter resistors exactly match each other, and the two on the other channel. We'll accept that as good until proven otherwise.
Drivers used were were 2SA1011/2SC2344. Quick consult of datasheets indicates that those were a good choice. Pull 'em out and test them. Good. Pull the originals out of the other channel and test them. Good.
Re-install and power up on the DBT.
Check all replaced resistors. All check out OK. Cool.

Uh-oh, I see trouble.
DSC00764.JPG
2SA750 was a state of the art transistor in the early '70s, but unfortunately they haven't withstood the test of time. They are notorious for becoming noisy and intermittent. They have to go.
KSA992 works perfectly. Since I was at it, I replaced the complementary 2SC1400 transistors as well to keep things even, despite that fact that it is a pretty reliable device.
I left the 2SC1775/2SA872 alone.
Do one channel at a time, and check your work with a power up and signal throughput check after each.

Time to flip it over and examine thoroughly for cracked solder joints. There are plenty.
This one in particular is a disaster waiting to happen.
DSC00744.JPG
This is the attachment point for the STV bias diode. If that were to open up, POOF! go the outputs.

Remember folks, this is the bare minimum that should be done, not the ultimate restoration.

Now let's give the speaker relay a little love.
I usually throw old speaker protection relays in the junk and replace them. The only exception I make for that is these DPDT units with bifurcated contacts, and only if I can bring them back 100% using only Brasso or Flitz (do a search). No abrasives. If you can't get it perfect with a chemical cleaner, chuck it and buy a new one.
DSC00761.JPG

Ok, hopefully I didn't forget anything on the amp board. Wash both sides, dry, and test again.
In case you are wondering, this thing will stay on the DBT until the very end. The very last thing we will do before putting the covers on is set the bias.
DC offset is non-adjustable, but doesn't look bad, is steady, and doesn't pop through the speakers when the relay opens/closes. (Note: sometimes they will pop while on the DBT, but not when on full mains. This one doesn't. So we won't go into details on that here) We'll leave it be.
DSC00766.JPG

Next is the phono board....

Seeing this, I don't think I even want to hear what comes out when I switch the input to phono.
DSC00770.JPG

The first thing is the 2SA914 (Q5 and Q6 IIRC) are getting replaced with some 2SA1220 that I just happen to have.

Next, those 2.7K resistors are getting moved to the top side of the board. That should keep it considerably cooler.
Be very careful when de-soldering them. The traces will need full integrity in order to do this mod.
DSC00773.JPG
Now go through and re-flow any other cracked solder joints, wash the board, dry and test for throughput and sound. If all is OK, then feel free to re-cap this board if you feel like it. Or don't, if it's working fine. You can always come back to it later.
Don't mess with the polystyrene caps, just the electrolytics.

Now, the display board.
Same as before, inspect and re-flow any cracked solder joints.
This board has it's own 15V regulator for the display. Q2 runs pretty warm, and causes plenty of cracked joints through the heating and cooling cycles through the years.
DSC00771.JPG
As usual, wash and test before moving on.

All that is left is to inspect the rest of the boards in the front end for the usual cracks and then clean and lube all of the pots and switches to your satisfaction.

On this one, I installed a 3mm red LED in place of the burned out pilot lamp. The blocking diode and 330 ohm resistor were soldered to the original pins on the P/S board as there really wasn't room for them in the lamp grommet.

About that dead power switch...
I dug through my junk and found a SPDT switch. It was the same form as the original, but the mounting was different.
So I removed the body, flipped it, flipped to the unused contacts, and voila`brand new switch. I made up a new snubber while I was at it. .1uF 250V film cap in series with a 100 ohm resistor. Don't think I took a pic of it.
DSC00752.JPG DSC00753.JPG

When setting the bias, after you are sure all is well, and have it plugged in to the mains, bring up the primary to about 80% of the desired value, then let it sit while you go drink a cup of coffee.
Now bring it up to full value, and go smoke a cigarette or something that takes about the same amount of time.
Now, bring up the secondary bias to spec

You are ready to put it back together and enjoy, or go ahead do your full re-cap on what you know is a working unit. But always be methodical, work one board at a time, and test after each board.

And for the rotted foam on the front volume dial plate, I just used some old 1/4" thick weather stripping and contact cement.
DSC00777.JPG DSC00782.JPG

Last edited:
Tarior, This is very timely and with pics to boot. I'm glad no one chimed in asking about how
and if you set the DC offset or diddled with the bias settings first.

After you cleaned the board with ISO and did some other checks then washed again.
What was the wash? Distilled H2O, or a soap and water wash? Compressed air
then mild oven about 150 to help evaporate?

When you test for through put and sound, what do you use as your test signal?
At what level do you use?
Do you check from output to input or vice versa?
Which parts of the circut do you use when you go through it?

I appreciate your efforts on this, this is really good stuff.

Thanks,

--Spike

Last edited:
Nope. Just wash with isopropanol and nothing else. I pat dry whatever I can reach with a piece of denim or something to help prevent the white residue. Use 91% or higher and it evaporates pretty fast.

tarior - what fitting name. From 11:39 pm last last night until 11 minutes ago,
you've completed the amp and it's gleaming. I'm impressed. I haven't even
ordered the parts yet. :beerchug:.

Just tarioring it up!

--Spike

my first happy banana, my little girl will be screaming with joy when she sees it.

But I have to add the banana.

:banana:

Finally, I swear I had the same carpet...I think I finally destroyed the last piece and had to toss it.

Hi tarior. Thank you for the great write up.

I am right now getting ready to tackle a SA-7800 that I recently purchased. Thankfully it powers up properly and the outputs are working (besides scratchy controls). Only if you turn the volume up, there is some sort of vibration in the sound. Not sure if it is only related to the phono stage, as I haven't tried out the other inputs yet.

Just a question and a request to dumb it down a little further for me. You wrote that you replaced the 2SA750 with KSA992 and also exchanged the complimentary 2SC1400. What did you use instead of the 2SC1400?

I also can not find any 2SC1220 except a NTE equivalent. Is it fine to use these or is there a replacement for the 2SC1220 readily available at Mouser/Digikey?

Thank you in advance.

Hi tarior. Thank you for the great write up.

I am right now getting ready to tackle a SA-7800 that I recently purchased. Thankfully it powers up properly and the outputs are working (besides scratchy controls). Only if you turn the volume up, there is some sort of vibration in the sound. Not sure if it is only related to the phono stage, as I haven't tried out the other inputs yet.

Just a question and a request to dumb it down a little further for me. You wrote that you replaced the 2SA750 with KSA992 and also exchanged the complimentary 2SC1400. What did you use instead of the 2SC1400?

I also can not find any 2SC1220 except a NTE equivalent. Is it fine to use these or is there a replacement for the 2SC1220 readily available at Mouser/Digikey?

Thank you in advance.

That was a typo on my part. 2SA1220 (or KSA1220) is the correct part number to replace 2SA914. These days, I keep a stock of KSA1220AY on hand along with KSC2960AY for general day to day work.
KSC1845 is a good replacement for 2sc1400 in this amplifier.

Thank you for the info. I appreciate it.

I just miss at this point a ton of knowledge in amplifier circuitry, and just know the basics about transistors. Nowhere near enough yet, to comfortably pick substitutes on my own. While my amp may be working right now "somewhat" I understand it is running on borrowed time. I do not even want to turn it much more on, before I did the basic steps described in your tutorial.

I really appreciate people like you, who help others out.

Back
Top Bottom