SA-8100 protection circuit issue

Went back and measured voltages on the power amp board:

Pin Volts
3 25
23 1

1-2 0.7
24-25 14.5

Clearly this is way off from what they were before replacing the transistors. What does this indicate? Did something get fried when I was un-soldering/soldering?

I see on the schematic that pins 3 and 23 connect to the base of Q3 and Q4, respectively, which are the 2SA726 resistors I replaced with KSA992FBU.

The replacement transistors should be reversed from the originals when in position. BCE vs ECB.
I guess I don't understand that. The data sheet shows the assignment of each pin, which for the 992 is ECB looking at the flat side. The circuit board in the amp has the diagram indicating what each pin is supposed to be: the pin with the arrow is E, pin on opposite side of plate is B, and pin without arrow, but on the same side of the plate as E, is C. This is shown in the diagram Pete posted in post 31. Am I missing something?

No sorry it sounds like you did it correctly. If the voltages have only changed since you replaced transistors then it has to be something here.

OK, well not really sure what to do from here. What should my next step be to troubleshoot the problem? Should I take out the 992s in Q3 and Q4 and put the 726s back to see if things go back to where I started? Are there other tests to pinpoint the problem?

Appreciate any help at this point!

Keith

It sounds like you put them in properly, if we could see a photo of the board with the new transistors on it, it might help in diagnosis.

OK, here are pictures of the left and right half of the power amp board. File Jul 14, 5 24 36 AM.jpeg File Jul 14, 5 25 02 AM.jpeg

One of the things I am concerned about is the fact that the revision A and D power amp and protection boards are not the same. The layout is different as are many of the connections. The service manual available on hifiengine has schematics for revision A. It also has a document called "Schematics", which just has schematics of each board, but they are all revision D. Comparing the two sets, there are many differences on those two boards.

Yes you definitely have them in the correct way. Did you just tilt board over without disconnecting any of the wires? Make sure all of the wires are on correctly and secure.

You might want to check R24 (?) as well (bottom left of your first photo, just above terminal 2) - looks burnt or damaged in the photo.

Yep, they are in the correct way. However, R23 (the resistor directly in front of pin 2) looks like it has been toasted and if so is probably bad. Currently getting ready to head out the door to work so I can't diagnose the cause right now, but desolder and lift one leg of that resistor and check it with a multimeter to see if it still reads around 10 ohms.

Edit: Goldie beat me to it, R24 is for the right channel though.

Well spotted guys, it is late here and obviously my eyes aren't working well enough for me to have seen that burnt resistor :rolleyes:.

OK, thanks guys. Will check that this afternoon when I get home. I was able to scrounge a new 10 ohm 1/2 W replacement here at work, so I've got one to put in there if it is bad, though I assume I should try to find the cause before putting in a new one.

Pulled one end of R23 and measured resistance, and it is open, so that one is clearly bad. Now, I'll need next steps to determine the cause...

Check everything.
The ceramic caps should be good.
So resistors, diodes and transistors get checked.
I'll check the resistors in situ, and only lift one leg if the value is off.
The metal can transistors are always suspect.

Check everything.
The ceramic caps should be good.
So resistors, diodes and transistors get checked.
I'll check the resistors in situ, and only lift one leg if the value is off.
The metal can transistors are always suspect.
OK, I can check resistors, and I think I know how to check if a diode is ok, but I do not know how to check a transistor. What do I measure on which leads?
Thanks!

I'm away from my data but I would replace them (transistors) anyway. There should be a list somewhere in this forum.

Checked all the resistors on the power amp board and all register pretty close to the correct value. Checked diodes and got a reading for each one. Did not check the transistors. Four are the new ones anyway. Replaced R23. Still getting -35V on pin 3 and about 1V on pin 23.

OK, please explain what you mean by "drop check the differential."

Thanks

Edit: disconnected base on Q5, voltage on pin 3 was 31V.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom