1. Work behind the scenes continues. AK may go offline again for additional database and or Xenforo fixes.
    Dismiss Notice

SA-9100 Faceplate Letters

Discussion in 'Pioneer Audio' started by madders, Jul 26, 2017.

1. madders

madders Active Member

Hi everyone,

I bought an SA-9100 a few months ago, in working condition, but needed a bit of the clean. I've just washed the faceplate in hot soapy water and some of the letters have come off!

IMAG0255.jpg

I guess the water must have been too hot, or I left it too long. I've found a couple of old threads about faceplate restoration, but just wanted to see if anyone had any tips how to fix it.

Thanks!
    Michael

Please register to disable this ad.

2. MacNoob

MacNoob dazed and confused

Looks like those letters are engraved into the faceplate, not just printed on?

If engraved it's easy, get some black paint and a tiny brush or toothpick and drop the paint into the groove bit by bit. I've done this with metal car emblems but never an engraved faceplate.

Oldsansui441 and jobrewer1983 like this.
  3. madders

madders Active Member

Yes they are engraved, sorry I didn't realise the picture isn't very clear. Can you recommend which kind of paint to use?

4. MacNoob

MacNoob dazed and confused

I used the little bottles of Testor's enamel from the hobby store.

5. jobrewer1983

jobrewer1983 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Now that sounds like a great weekend task! Love the detail work. Great idea!!

Kind Regards,
    John

6. petehall347

petehall347 the brandy coffee man Subscriber

makes me wonder how they were done on a large scale .. all i can guess is the whole panel was painted then rubbed down to remove excess then lacquered .
    i wonder if a something like a rubber scraper could push paint into the etched parts and remove excess at same time . small amount of excess could perhaps be removed after drying without damaging the lacquer .

jobrewer1983 likes this.

7. jobrewer1983

jobrewer1983 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I would bet you can take it to a local trophy shop and they may be able to lend a hand... :)

8. KeithD

KeithD AK Subscriber Subscriber

They may have been heat stamped. This is where a film with paint applied is positioned between the item to be stamped an a heated metal stamp. When the item is stamped, the paint remains in the indentations created.

9. petehall347

petehall347 the brandy coffee man Subscriber

i would never have thought about that way .but i can see it would work good .

10. restorer-john

restorer-john Addicted Member

Just paint over/into the letters (it doesn't matter what excess there is around the letter), wait for the enamel to partially get 'tacky', and then use a thin cotton rag wetted with turpentine, stretched over your finger to give a convex shape to carefully rub the surface paint off and it leaves the paint in the embossed letters. Then polish the panel after the paint is dry. I use that method when I restore Sunbeam Mixmasters as their letters always come off...

IMG_1299.JPG

IMG_1301.JPG

IMG_1302.JPG

IMG_1300.JPG

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    kvining, Oldsansui441 and redk9258 like this.
  11. Oldsansui441

Oldsansui441 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Had to do this on a Pioneer SA-8500, tedious but comes out great.

12. Zekeman

Zekeman Super Member

Those mixers are very cool.

13. madders

madders Active Member

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the advice! It's taken 6 months, but I finally painted the letters back.

I used enamel paint, and pretty much did exactly as restorer-john said. It's impossible to paint it into the groove perfectly, so I just rubbed the excess off afterwards with some isopropyl alcohol. Took a while, but looks good now!

Those mixers look great by the way!

IMAG0030.jpg

14. Oldsansui441

Oldsansui441 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Looks great madders, has come out very nicely :thumbsup:. This is where engraved faceplates have a big advantage over silkscreened faceplates.